GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slowly losing power?

Hi all, 2010 GTI at 105k now. I have noticed that the car feels much slower than couple of years ago. When the boost kicks in I can still feel it but its rather weak. The DSG was changed out about a year ago under extended warranty with problem shifting, and so far I have no code. The car does make a grinding noise when I move from a cold start, but idle is smooth and there's no jerking.

Any idea? Could it be turbo? PCV? Leaky piston? What can I check to see to diagnose?

Thanks all!

FriggenT1

Banned
Could the grinding noise simply be the surface rust that gets on the brake rotors while the car is still for a day or so? Even moisture in the air can cause that.

As far as power loss goes, I'd be with the guy above and ask if you've had the carbon cleaned?

zrickety

The Fixer
Changed the fuel filter? Spark plugs? Boost leak? Try the easy things first then an 'italian tune up,' then go for a carbon clean.

Carbon cleaning was done 10k ago at 034. How do I check for a boost leak?

Definitely not brake related. The grinding noise only happens when I am moving forward.

FriggenT1

Banned
Carbon cleaning was done 10k ago at 034. How do I check for a boost leak?

Definitely not brake related. The grinding noise only happens when I am moving forward.

If you don't know how, you can learn, BUT, it might be easier to take it to a shop for that simply because it's one of those things that if you don't have an air compressor and a boost leak tester it's a pita

m1k3_p

In my case it was the high pressure fuel pump. Car was sluggish for months , then rough idle and hesitating under load. After pump was replaced - back to normal. (Maybe even better )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriggenT1

Banned
Not yet. Those are good points and I will start from there. What's a good indication of a bad PCV? Condensation in the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there are so many from codes to oil around the pcv, build up around the filler neck. Some claim this doesn't work, but if you pull your dipstick out and you get no change in idle it's bad, if you open the oil cap and get no resistance, it's absolutely shot, there's some others, but I'd start there.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Good and easy preventive maintenance it replacing the intercooler seals. Very possible you could be have a leak from there, especially at that high mileage.