DG springs 4 door manual
Neuspeed 25mm front sway bar
Neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar
BBS CO 18*8 +44
Stability control defeat routed to TCS push-hold via VCDS

Last edited:

Noize

Go Kart Champion
I had a prior thread that wasn't focused on my GTI only, plus it was made at a time before I was sure about keeping my car.

I wanted to make this one to dedicate to my GTI and use this journal thread as a car blog about my daily driver.

It's a carbon steel gray metallic 2013 base 4 door manual. I chose the spartan model, because near the end of it's life cycle, the available packages on the mk6 became much less à la carte, and much more bundled with options an owner might not want.

The two things I wanted were HIDs and Dynaudio, which were very reasonable on the 2010 car I originally built in the VW configurator, but needed autobahn to get both by the time I was sure I wanted a GTI for 2013.

I made lemonade out of lemons with the Dynaudio loss, and my first mod was a custom audio system, replacing every single component, sans the rear door speakers. I'm not in love with my front door speakers, so eventually, I'll move them to the rear, and put something nicer up front.

The car is now powered by an XAV-701HD Sony head that is a DVD unit which I setup to work when the vehicle is in operation. There's a navigation plugin, but I am rarely driving somewhere that I require that, so I pipe Waze through my phone and it gives me voice commands by attenuating the music briefly while the Waze lady talks. The BT in the factory VW heads is garbage- The base HU I had wouldn't allow you to change tracks on the unit, so I had to scroll up with my iPhone. At 2013 launch, there wasn't a lightning cable adapter from VW, so that aided in my replacing it. The VW navi unit wasn't much better, because although you could stream audio and switch tracks, they had a static sound, and it was awful. I ripped all that crap out, and my Sony HU controls iTunes and Spotify seamlessly.

I went with Alpine components in the front, an Alpine 5 channel amplifier, and an Uber Stealth Audio box with Pioneer sub in the rear, which hides under the rear deckliner, allowing me to drop the back seats and carry my road bike.

I love the new stereo, and it blows anything OEM out of the water, while being clean and invisible.

Here's a pic of the HU installed.

Here's a pic of the rear deckliner lifted so you can see the Uber Stealth box and sub installed. I had to put a few small pieces of plywood under the styrofoam tool side to bring the floor up to Uber Stealth box level, so the floor would be level.

Here's another pic of my son's Recaro I moved from my last car. My daughter is older and just uses a generic booster seat.The next order of business with the car was the tepid stock power. I couldn't really deal with it, and immediately went to APR Stage 1 and Carbonio Stage 1.
I've been very pleased with the results, and have seen typical dyno gains of 30whp and 50wtq for these mods. The difference is most profound on the interstate, where passing power in 6th without downshifting is great, and downshifting to 5th or 4th gives powerful acceleration on-the-fly for such a tiny turbo.

I prefer stage 1 to keep the wife happy, because it's church mouse quiet and has no catless exhaust stench. The intake's sound is barely noticeable, but gives great proven higher rpm power compared to a stage 1 car without. I am running it on the 91 octane map in attempt to preserve the stock clutch's life as long as possible.

Here's an under hood shot.

I'd put this car around 14.2 at 99mph, maybe it would break 100mph on a cool day.
I think the tune and intake is completely worth it, and offers a great bang for the buck gain.

During this time, I also disconnected the soundaktor, because it made my windshield rattle my radar detector at high throttle tip in on the highway, and drove me crazy.

I also did a few VCDS tweaks, the big one being allowing the stability control to be defeated with a press and hold. LOVE.

Last edited:

Noize

Go Kart Champion
The biggest letdown about this car for me was the factory suspension. I wanted to do wheels, but I've never had a positive experience lowering a car... until now. :)

The first thing I did was a Neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar using the Allset group buy through Supreme Power. Supreme Power is just awesome, and even though they are on the other coast, I'd happily use them and wait out the UPS ship times for their exceptional customer service and great prices. Together with the stability control defeat, the RSB made a profound reduction in understeer for a very low cost. You can enter a corner hot, lift, and the car will rotate like a FWD with a nice RSB should! The factory rear bar and undefeatable stability control stopped this way too early, and tarnished the GTI's image. Fully stock, it feels more grocery getter than hot hatch.

I had my eyes set on wheels soon, but was definitely a little hesitant to do so, as I've never had a positive experience lowering a car. My first bad experinece was in a Honda with Ground Controls, which killed the factory struts in short order. The second bad experience was my Evo with Japanese made coilovers that had decent handling at speed, but no low speed control on the street, resulting in slight bouncing sub 30mph, yuck.

Due to a forum friend on here and Evom (thanks Greg!), I went with Driver Gear springs for a 4 door manual, and Bilstein B8s.

I love these. I wouldn't want to be any lower. I have just a couple mm under two fingers in the front, and a couple mm over two fingers in the rear. The B8s I also got for a great price from Supreme Power, and am loving them. They're a bit stiffer, but not too stiff, and the turn in is much more crisp. So I think this shock/strut/spring combo was a total win for performance and aesthetics.

Last edited:

Noize

Go Kart Champion
And my BBS CO: 18x8 +44. I think they look great with the DG springs and B8s.

Last edited:

Noize

Go Kart Champion
To do soon:

Tires: The factory Pirellis are nice in light snow and acceptable in the rain, but they fail as a performance tire. I'm looking to go with 235/40/18 Z2 Star Specs when I wear out the Pirelli tires a little more.

Bracing: I really want a Unibrace UB, and maybe a better front sway bar, though the install for the latter is intimidating, and I'm not sure I'll do it. Even with the better rear bar and suspension, the left and right and front and rear of this car are very disconnected in higher speed corners and transitions, proving that the chassis is much more commuter intended than motorsports intended. It's way too flexy and not stiff at all. This is my biggest complaint with the GTI, and what I want to address as soon as possible.

Speakers: Front components to rear, and properly installed fronts with dynamat in the doors.

A_Bowers

Your car is almost a mirror image of mine aesthetically speaking.

Get the UB and the WALK kit and your understeer issues will be gone. I haven't done sways yet, they are on the to do list.

UB, good tires, a few VAGCOM tweaks, and you should be good.

Driven the car hard through the mountains this weekend, and have been supremely impressed at how well this car is made. I'm on VWR springs so im a tad lower. UB ties the whole car together. TOTALLY worth the cash.

Looking forward to more updates.

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
Looks awesome.

Were you able to use the existing BT mic for making calls or did the HU come with another one?

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Your car is almost a mirror image of mine aesthetically speaking.

Get the UB and the WALK kit and your understeer issues will be gone. I haven't done sways yet, they are on the to do list.

UB, good tires, a few VAGCOM tweaks, and you should be good.

Driven the car hard through the mountains this weekend, and have been supremely impressed at how well this car is made. I'm on VWR springs so im a tad lower. UB ties the whole car together. TOTALLY worth the cash.

Looking forward to more updates.

Thanks Bowers! Maybe they'll meet in person someday, I'm not too far away, so it could happen. I definitely am on deck for the UB, but I need to read up on that anti lift kit. I was under the impression that the slight drop of the DG springs didn't warrant it.

Looks awesome.

Were you able to use the existing BT mic for making calls or did the HU come with another one?

Thank you, sir.

I used the one that came with the HU. I have a friend's factory navi unit 2012 TDI, and my phone is paired to both. I'll often be on the phone, get out of one car and into the other, and am told the sound quality on the Sony BT and mic blows the OEM VW unit out of the water by multiple people.

A_Bowers

Thanks Bowers! Maybe they'll meet in person someday, I'm not too far away, so it could happen. I definitely am on deck for the UB, but I need to read up on that anti lift kit. I was under the impression that the slight drop of the DG springs didn't warrant it.

Its really not the drop that dictates it, more the slop in the OEM LCA bushings that does.

I think the OEM ride height would benefit as well.

It gives you a hair more positive caster....but the major improvements come from the solid poly LCA bushings

Look into it. Transforms the front end.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Will do and thanks much!

Its really not the drop that dictates it, more the slop in the OEM LCA bushings that does.

I think the OEM ride height would benefit as well.

It gives you a hair more positive caster....but the major improvements come from the solid poly LCA bushings

Look into it. Transforms the front end.

n14sss

Passed Driver's Ed
GDay Noize,

I am interested in your DG / Bilstein B8 set up for my GTI.
Any chance you would have a FTG measurement of your ride height?

Cheers
Jim

Noize

Go Kart Champion
GDay Noize,

I am interested in your DG / Bilstein B8 set up for my GTI.
Any chance you would have a FTG measurement of your ride height?

Cheers
Jim

Hey Jim,

I'm sitting at 64cm both fronts and 65cm left rear and 65.5cm right rear. It will vary about a half cm depending on surface level, and the LR seems a little bit lower than the RR, but those are the most level measurements I've been able to take. I hope this helps!

Edit: Bear in mind my sub and box is in the LR, so that might account for that half cm, as I think the combination weighs close to 20kg.

Seth

n14sss

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Seth,

thanks for the info, it helps alot!

I have a Mk6 GTI on OEM springs and Koni Sports shocks. Great combo with liquid smooth ride (on 3/4 turn from full soft Fr and Rear) and excellent rebound control. I have a feeling the Konis may be softer than the OEM shocks in compression but firmer in rebound.

Planning on transferring this set up to another Golf TSI I have and going B8 and DG springs like you on the GTI.

Any other thoughts you have on the handling and ride of the combo you have? Anything you dont like about it?

Thanks
Jim

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Hi Seth,

thanks for the info, it helps alot!

I have a Mk6 GTI on OEM springs and Koni Sports shocks. Great combo with liquid smooth ride (on 3/4 turn from full soft Fr and Rear) and excellent rebound control. I have a feeling the Konis may be softer than the OEM shocks in compression but firmer in rebound.

Planning on transferring this set up to another Golf TSI I have and going B8 and DG springs like you on the GTI.

Any other thoughts you have on the handling and ride of the combo you have? Anything you dont like about it?

Thanks
Jim

Over the sharpest bumps at speed (70mph and above), it can be a tad harsh, but I've adapted quickly, as it's not that bad. I think than the handling and ride combo is the best I've had in a lowered car, but the thing I still don't like is that the chassis is still disconnected, and I think both under-body unibraces are in my future. I'd maybe do a front swaybar too, but unsure on the install.

I think these and summer tires could make this car very, very enjoyable, but don't have the full experience yet. I've still not found what I'm looking for, which is hot hatch nirvana. :)

n14sss

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Seth,
Could I bother you for you opinion of this set up compared to the OEM set up in terms of ride, body control and steering feel.

I agree that the GTI can feel a bit disconnected, but I think you will find this improves with using summer tyres. I find the GTI steering to be firm, direct and relatively quick but dead in terms of tactility compared to other cars. I have got a WALK to fit, and I hope this improves the situation. Also the choice of tyres can affect steering feel, I have ContisportContact3s and they are a bit numb.