GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Golf R engine type

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I'm a little confused about the engine types in a Golf R. Was hoping if someone can shed some light.

What's the difference between the 2.0T FSI and the 2.0 TSI?

Does the 2013 Golf R have a 2.0T FSI or TSI?

Finally, what Carbonio intake should I get for a 2013 Golf R?

This:

http://www.goapr.com/products/intake_carbonio_20tfsi.html

or this:

http://www.goapr.com/products/intake_carbonio_20tsi.html

Thanks!

Felix

Its technically a FSI with up graded components, I believe pistons and rods are the upgraded components (someone correct me if I am wrong). The 1st link is the proper intake for the R (FSI) the second is for a GTI (TSI)

felixk

So my 2013 Golf R is a 2.0T FSI? It's strange because the engine cover says "TSI".

So confused...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The golf R engine is the EA113 branded as a TSI, an engine released in 2004 IIRC on a few Audi models. The GTI engine is the EA888 branded as a TSI as well, introduced in the 2008.5 GTI. They're actually pretty different engines aside from their dimensions (which is exactly the same at 82.5x92.8mm bore x stroke) and integrated turbine manifold.

The TSI has a compression ratio of 9.6:1 where the FSI is 11.5:1 driven by new piston and head geometry.

The TSI has a LPFP at the gas tank in addition to the HPFP whereas the FSI has just the HPFP at the engine.

The TSI has this fancy chain-driven cylindrical balance shafts that reduce engine inertia and parasitic losses from rotating assemblies. The water pump is bolted underneath the intake manifold, also for packaging reasons.

The TSI has chain-driven cam shafts and the FSI is belt-driven.

The TSI is driven by the Bosch MED17 ECU, too, which brings a number of control differences too in-depth to list here.

Edit: forgot a major difference that the R uses the k04 turbo where the GTI uses the k03.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
I think the main confusion comes from the fact that while the enthusiast community uses "FSI" and "TSI" to signify different engines, Volkswagen uses those terms as marketing speak for direct injection. So to us, FSI= EA113 and TSI=EA888. To Volkswagen FSI=TSI=TFSI= Direct Injection.

So OP, the engine in the Golf R is an entirely different engine than in the mk6 GTI. Therefore you need to use parts (intakes) specific to the Golf R.

crazyaRms

Ready to race!
I am not sure were you are taking you R in regards to performance mods but you may want to research(if you haven't so already) the variety of intakes. For the dollar their maybe better intakes depending in what you're planning to achieve.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6905957-Search-for-the-Perfect-Intake&highlight=intakes

Couldn't agree more. I dropped some serious coin on my carbonio and was extremely dissatisfied. Ended up selling it on the classifieds for half what i paid for it and bought a volant intake.

Do some research before you snatch up a $300 snorkel and filter.

nimda

Ready to race!
The golf R engine is the EA113 branded as a TSI, an engine released in 2004 IIRC on a few Audi models. The GTI engine is the EA888 branded as a TSI as well, introduced in the 2008.5 GTI. They're actually pretty different engines aside from their dimensions (which is exactly the same at 82.5x92.8mm bore x stroke) and integrated turbine manifold.

The TSI has a compression ratio of 9.6:1 where the FSI is 11.5:1 driven by new piston and head geometry.

The TSI has a LPFP at the gas tank in addition to the HPFP whereas the FSI has just the HPFP at the engine.

The TSI has this fancy chain-driven cylindrical balance shafts that reduce engine inertia and parasitic losses from rotating assemblies. The water pump is bolted underneath the intake manifold, also for packaging reasons.

The TSI has chain-driven cam shafts and the FSI is belt-driven.

The TSI is driven by the Bosch MED17 ECU, too, which brings a number of control differences too in-depth to list here.

Edit: forgot a major difference that the R uses the k04 turbo where the GTI uses the k03.

Well done!:thumbup: