GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 09-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
scsikid
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI - Manual
Rust - Lower Rocker Panel

Hey guys, I can't seem to find many topics on rust. I have a 2011 GTI, wash my car quite often even in the winter. I'm in toronto so are winters are pretty harsh, but I hand wash my car in a heated garage through the winter anyway. This summer I noticed on my passenger side, behind the front wheel the lower rocker panel has rust starting between the plastic fender liner and the panel.

I showed it to a friend who owned a body shop for years and he said that its likely vibration while driving causing the plastic from the fender liner to rub away at the finish and now its rusting. Also indicated there is nothing you can do to make it go away permanently so just paint over it, sand it with 80 grit first...

Has anyone else experienced this? It's pretty disappointing to see rust even though I've taken such good care of my car.
scsikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Verserk-MK6
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG 4 door AB 6 speed GTI
I have the Same issue on my Driver side.
I do not see any way to fix it really, unless you want to sand, paint then put a clear 3m covering over it.
Verserk-MK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
scsikid
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verserk-MK6 View Post
I have the Same issue on my Driver side.
I do not see any way to fix it really, unless you want to sand, paint then put a clear 3m covering over it.
That probably will be the way I'll go. Do you think instead of 3M coating rocker guard is better? The texture feel there might blend a bit more with rocker guard was my thought. I have a black GTI.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
scsikid
Go Kart Newbie

Just a follow up to this, not sure how this happened but I pulled the two screws out of the fender liner on the mentioned passenger side where the rust was starting to show. Low and behold a pile of dirt, at least two handfuls of it was between the fender liner, the sill and the insulation there.... I removed it all, rinsed everything out, and left the liner off to allow things to dry.

I used some rust remover in the spot there was rust and spray painted over it. The drivers side did not have anything behind the fender liner FYI.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
Blakcard
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
hmmmm i'm about to install some mud guards...think i'll take a look at said fender liner...