GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 clutch concerns

turboteig

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger this Thursday on a Stage 1 APR tune here in the Kansas City area but I'm concerned about clutch slip. My previous car was a 2011 GTI stage 2 APR and it began to slip so my fear is stage 1 in my Golf R may do the same. Anyone have experience with stage 1 so I might feel a little better about my purchase??? :)

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
So, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger this Thursday on a Stage 1 APR tune here in the Kansas City area but I'm concerned about clutch slip. My previous car was a 2011 GTI stage 2 APR and it began to slip so my fear is stage 1 in my Golf R may do the same. Anyone have experience with stage 1 so I might feel a little better about my purchase??? :)

I just hit 4800 miles on my r, I did GIAC stage 1 at about 3800 and just put in a neuspeed p flo... Yes it's a different company but very similar, I have had 0 issues with anything including clutch ...everyone else can chime on but I don't believe you have any problems until stage 2 + ... But not 100%

turboteig

Passed Driver's Ed
I just hit 4800 miles on my r, I did GIAC stage 1 at about 3800 and just put in a neuspeed p flo... Yes it's a different company but very similar, I have had 0 issues with anything including clutch ...everyone else can chime on but I don't believe you have any problems until stage 2 + ... But not 100%

Great, that makes me feel a lot better. I still would like to hear from others on their experience but I was really worried even stage 1 would be too much for the clutch.

HSTuning

Ready to race!
Great, that makes me feel a lot better. I still would like to hear from others on their experience but I was really worried even stage 1 would be too much for the clutch.

Every single Golf R that we have done:

- Stage 1
- Stage 1+
- Stage 2
- Stage 2+

to still has the stock clutch. I don't think any of them are over 7500 miles yet, but I know at least a few of the 2+ cars get driven hard or raced. Hope that makes you feel better. I'm not saying there won't be failures, but we haven't seen one yet.

brett_duenas

Ready to race!
Been 2+ for about 7,500 miles now, no clutch issues. v3.31 seems to have solved some people's slipping issues but I've never had any...

dthquazi

Been 2+ for about 7,500 miles now, no clutch issues. v3.31 seems to have solved some people's slipping issues but I've never had any...

Fall has arrived for us in the N.W. so we will see who gets slippage. I went to stage 2 with about 1200 on the clock and now have 2600. I am a little light on clutches generally so we'll see. About to pull the trigger on the HStuning Rs-r clutch to have it handy when it does go.

Felby

Glad to hear things are peachy with the R clutches... thinking about doing the stage 1 and maybe stage 1+, but nervous about pooching the warranty :( Need to talk with dealership service manager and see what they say...

Lucas_R

Passed Driver's Ed
Im stage 2+ with a UK tuning company called DNA Tuning. No clutch issues at all - rock solid.

Mind you, if you thrash your car and launch it all the time you will kill the clutch.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Slippery

Went to APTUNING today for the APR winter sale flash. Got Stage 1 Intake tune and fullly loaded ECU. I was worried about the clutch slip i have heard about....with my luck mine slips.

Got on Turnpike and did some nice pulls. It was 30 degrees out an my car is stock other than EVOms intake and this tune. On the 93 tune I am getting slipping around 3-3500 RPM in 4th, 5th, 6th. and Occasional slipping near redline in the same gears. Guess it is time to save for a clutch. :(

Edit: I have 16,000 miles on the car, it is a 2012, March 2012 build. Car is not beaten on and not launched ever.

Last edited: