GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

Many of you know based on my build thread that I am huge advocate of TyrolSport and some of my favorite high quality upgrades have come from the TyrolSport product line. As I’ve said over and over before, it truly amazes me that TyrolSport produces seemingly small vehicle solutions which make the largest impacts. First, they look to perfect several aspects of a vehicle in house by determining root causes and ultimately how they can improve it. From there they spend countless hours and shop dollars to engineer and refine their prototypes. TyrolSport then tests their prototypes on the street and track before launching a perfected version of their solution to the enthusiast market. It’s companies like this that I will be the first one in line for their latest products (rear trunk brace next up!) and add pure value to the marketplace. Ever since I sat down with Mike and Greg to hear about the development of their front subframe deadset collar kit, I knew that TyrolSport would strive to continue producing only the highest quality products. After the R&D, prototypes, salary hours and stress to achieve perfection, I feel their products are absolutely worth the price and the guarantee of tangible performance gains. Produced in the USA and developed from in-house platform testing, I’ve had the pleasure of reviewing the TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace, TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit, TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Rear Subframe Collar Kit and the TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushing Kit (SSBB)

Their latest addition to the MK5/MK6 chassis and FSI/TSI Engines is the TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator. Not for the faint of heart, this massive all aluminum radiator boasts a 25% increase in fluid volume, a tested and verified 20-25% decrease in radiator outlet temperatures, straight forward installation thanks to precision fit leak-free OEM connections all while being 100% designed and manufactured in the USA. While not for the average daily driver, this radiator was designed for their in-house Golf R track car, then produced for the track enthusiasts who are looking for more consistent engine output, longevity of components and a reduction in heatsoak all through effectively reducing coolant temperatures.

Product Description:
For MK5-MK6 chassis FSI/TSI Engines
Guaranteed to eliminate excessively high water temperatures caused by larger aftermarket intercoolers
All aluminum construction
25% increase in fluid volume
20-25% decrease in radiator outlet temperatures
Will fit with the largest aftermarket intercooler designs without modification
Continuous track and street testing during development
Precision fit leak-free hose ends designed for OEM connections
Straight forward installation
100% designed and manufactured in the USA

Technical Specifications:
- Core Dimensions 1.5”/1.875” x 18.0” x 25.0”
- Single row (tube-width 1.45”)
- Louvered Fins
- Fin-Thickness .0065”
- 12 Fins per inch
- Vacuum brazed
-Internal Volume 1.474 liters
- Up to 25 psig Operating Pressure

Installation:

Data:
In theory, when comparing two differing radiators, there should be a change in measurable temperature sensor readings and a possible change in overall timing or correction factor. Since I run an Aquamist direct port water methanol injection system, regardless of the ambient temperature my timing or correction factor VagCom blocks wouldn’t show an impact from heat reduction. My testing contained VagCom blocks focused specifically on measurable temperature sensor readings to see if we could capture a decrease in coolant, oil or overall engine temperatures. To effectively compare the OEM radiator against the TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator, I chose the 12 blocks below for my VagCom radiator testing profile:

Engine Speed - (G28)
Engine Load
Engine Outlet – Temperature
Radiator Outlet – Temperature
Coolant - Temperature (G62)
Radiator Outlet – Temperature
Cooling Status
Oil Temperature
Ambient – Temperature
Intake Air - Temperature (G42)
Engine Outlet – Temperature
Radiator Outlet - Temperature

For each radiator sample data collection, I ran multiple 4th gear WOT pulls from 2,000 – 7,000 rpm after the car has been properly warmed up to operating temperature after at least 20 minutes of driving. For all of the VagCom blocks or measurable temperature sensor readings, I averaged all of the temperatures for the OEM radiator and then for the TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator. The next step was to adjust the temperatures for the average difference in ambient temperatures since OEM logs were run on one day and then the TyrolSport logs were run on another day. The final step was to look at the net change after adjustments to see which measurable temperature sensor readings showed a decrease in temperature. After reviewing the VagCom data, here is what I found:

Engine Outlet – Temperature = no change in temperature before ambient temperature adjustment, controlled by thermostat
Radiator Outlet – Temperature = showed a 20% decrease in temperature after ambient temperature adjustment
Coolant - Temperature (G62) = no change in temperature before ambient temperature adjustment, controlled by thermostat
Radiator Outlet – Temperature = showed a 20% decrease in temperature after ambient temperature adjustment
Oil Temperature = no change in temperature before ambient temperature adjustment, controlled by thermostat
Engine Outlet – Temperature = no change in temperature before ambient temperature adjustment, controlled by thermostat

All three available Radiator Outlet – Temperature blocks in VagCom showed a 20% decrease in coolant temps after the adjustment for the difference in ambient temperature between the two days I ran VagCom logs. This means that the TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator reduced post radiator coolant temperatures consistently by more effectively lowering the coolant flowing through the engine and into the Radiator Inlet. It seems that all other measurable temperature sensor readings remained constant +/- a few degrees which I would assume is due to the thermostat control. Below is the data adjusted for the difference in ambient temperature in a simple line graph to show the impact on coolant temperatures. For each radiator sample data collection and the calculations for this graph, please -click here- to find the supporting data.

TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator Overall Results and Recommendations:
In terms of hands on experience, this is one high quality piece. From the larger core, to the welds, to the aluminum end tanks and the precision fit leak-free hose ends designed for OEM connections, this radiator oozes quality. Part of me relived the experience of adding my APR intercooler and I know felt like I had two of the most high quality cores stacked against each other. For those that may wonder, this radiator fit with one of the largest aftermarket intercooler designs without any modifications.
This may be a theory but I feel like these two cores work in tandem with each other. With an aftermarket intercooler striving for the coolest intake air temps, wouldn’t a heat soaked OEM radiator transfer heat back to the more efficient intercooler? Having an aftermarket intercooler stacked with this TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator may effectively help keep the temperatures down for both cores. In terms of performance, I can honestly say that when I ran back to back 4th gear WOT VagCom logs in the past during my water methanol tuning, I could feel the car becoming sluggish after several runs. When I ran the back to back VagCom logs to collect the sample data for the TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator, the car felt more consistent. The real test will be on the track when the season starts in Spring. I’ll log the Radiator Outlet – Temperature during the each entire session to watch the temperature increase through each lap. As expected, the dummy gauge shows the static 190 degree temp, so no change there from a visual standpoint. I wasn’t able to put together a weight comparison between the OEM radiator and the larger TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator but I will try to get these stats from TyrolSport in the near future.

Overall I’m very happy to have another TyrolSport product for my project car. It’s great to know that this radiator was 100% designed and manufactured in the USA with in-house research and testing to provide the very best quality. It’s reassuring to know that it is not a simple copy or clone of another radiator from an overseas manufacturer and that all of the test and component construction data is readily available from TyrolSport. At the end of the day, the TyrolSport UG Aluminum Radiator may not be for the average daily driver but it will definitely be a great product for the track enthusiasts who are looking for more consistent engine output, longevity of components and a reduction in heatsoak all through effectively reducing coolant temperatures. It’s companies like this that I will be the first one in line for their latest products (rear trunk brace up next!) and add pure value to the marketplace.