GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus ST vs GTI

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
The inside is cheap, plasticy, and felt like it was going to fall apart. I test drove two of them on separate occasions, they are so cheaply made inside. :barf:

I've pulled on a stage 2 ST on E85 making 280whp/360wtq - they are weak cars that really don't make use of all the power they make. Hell I think a k04 GTI would likely beat a Big Turbo ST; I think the fastest BT ST I've seen was around a high 12 quarter, not super impressive (I searched for quite a while, and that is the fastest I've seen via a video. I've yet to see a timeslip for anything faster either).

My brother is has been top salesman for a BMW/FORD dealership for about two years now and they let him do what he wants around there, so guess who gets to test drive anything worth wild when they visit :D. (The i8 from bmw is amazing too btw) even the platnuim fords trucks have cheap plastics, awesome fat ass'd amercian seats though lol..

I know a guy with a stage 2+ ST, once I go stage 2 Im going to try to get a track run in on him and a roll from 40 either on the way or on the way home, hopefully im worthy enough to post in the kill stories section afterwards :laugh:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Is that the issue where they're blowing holes in the pistons at low RPM and high boost?

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Is that the issue where they're blowing holes in the pistons at low RPM and high boost?

Lol really?

All these local guys are going Big turbo because they couldn't stand the fact that I was faster - literally 3 guys have gone big turbo since they saw me beat their 280whp E85 member from a roll - I'm going to laugh if they start blowing motors :bellyroll:

What's even funnier is that the videos I've seen of a guy on youtube running the same turbo they have, hitting 400whp or so, IIRC is only trapping 110-112. Our guys on k04 are hitting between 112 on pump, to 117 on racing fuel, which cracks me up. They're just SOOO slow when modded, it's ridiculous.

(I'm sure I wasn't their ONLY motivation, but I'm sure it didn't help :lol:)

Edit: I was wrong, been a while but I searched my history and found him. 12.4 @ 119mph is the fastest I could find. It's fast, but for a big turbo vs what our big turbo's can do, meh, still the top end of k04 territory.

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I dont like the new STs wheels... looks a bit rice..but unless you need the hatch/4dr, if not.. WRX or mustang...

this, reminds me of Mexicans installing those wheels on their Lancer's and corollas lol, old one were better and should've stayed.

I heard the ST was closer to 300hp stock but they lowered the numbers on paper so it wouldn't effect mustang sales. Not sure if it's true, just something I was told by a ST owner.

More like for the RS, perhaps, its the same story with mk7 GTI vs R because they detune the gti engine, now that R and GTI has the same engine now, other than turbos.

CiHKAL1

Ready to race!
this, reminds me of Mexicans installing those wheels on their Lancer's and corollas lol, old one were better and should've stayed.

More like for the RS, perhaps, its the same story with mk7 GTI vs R because they detune the gti engine, now that R and GTI has the same engine now, other than turbos.

Same crank, connecting rods, and pistons? At the very least I would guess somewhat minor things like valve springs would be different. I havent looked up anything on the EA888 gen 3's in the GTI and R though.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Same crank, connecting rods, and pistons? At the very least I would guess somewhat minor things like valve springs would be different. I havent looked up anything on the EA888 gen 3's in the GTI and R though.

The R has the same crank, but uprated rods and different piston/head geometry, IIRC.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion

kinda... I have connections within powertrain engineering at ford. I also have 4 friends/acquaintances that have had a ST engine failure.

3 I was able to inspect myself and it actually looked like severe detonation and ringland failure. 3 were cyl 1 and 1 was cyl 4.

my family within ford powertrain was very hush hush about it and would not speak a word about what its caused from but he did confirm the alarming amount of engine failures.

There is a massive thread on it on the ST forums. Most are modded when they have failures but there were also many that were 100% stock.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
kinda... I have connections within powertrain engineering at ford. I also have 4 friends/acquaintances that have had a ST engine failure.

3 I was able to inspect myself and it actually looked like severe detonation and ringland failure. 3 were cyl 1 and 1 was cyl 4.

my family within ford powertrain was very hush hush about it and would not speak a word about what its caused from but he did confirm the alarming amount of engine failures.

There is a massive thread on it on the ST forums. Most are modded when they have failures but there were also many that were 100% stock.
Yeah that sounds like the stuff I was hearing about. Detonation that led to piston failures. Figures it would lead to ringland failures, too.

Ford isn't the only one with this problem, though. Kia/Hyundai's turbo 4s have this issue.

Gti207

Ready to race!
ive raced a few computer generated ST's at a private track with professional drivers in mexico and i gotta tell ya..not impressed.

The lead up to that point made me lol so hard.... its going to be a long week

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
I went against my buddys stage 2 st his mods are turbosmart 50/50 bov cpe intake cpe 3" dp intake manifold spacer an throttle body spacer. Myself Im apr stage 2 93 oct uni 3" intake uni dv relocate spulen top an tbp gfb dv+ forge twincooler 42dd 3" race dp 3" obx catback. We did a 4th gear pull an we were even an when we did a 3rd gear 40mph pull i pulled on him by a car

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah that sounds like the stuff I was hearing about. Detonation that led to piston failures. Figures it would lead to ringland failures, too.

Ford isn't the only one with this problem, though. Kia/Hyundai's turbo 4s have this issue.

My friend who kept his stage 2+ ST after it blew. Just blew his engine again. Cyl 1 which is the same failure. Holes on both sides of the block. He was mid rpm and in boost. The replacement engine was used and has less than 10k miles on it when the dealer swapped it. He put maybe 5k miles on since the swap. Had all the same parts on and a off the shelf Cobb AP tune.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
I sat in the Focus ST at the auto show. I was in and out in less than 5 seconds. :yikes: