GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership just said my engine is worse than quoted...

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Its reason, but its also bottom dollar loss to VW to repair/recall. This also means they are going to lose customers, so not sure if it evens out or what. They couldn't find the screen unfortunately. The kit would be nice, but I don't think it replace the camshaft.
The cam shaft is normally fine but they say the screen get stuck in there, that's why they replace. There is the odd time when a cam lob will spin out of place when the valves bend but not common.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my TSI engine as well,... slow but sure.

cevil203

Ready to race!
Vwoa is covering 75% of parts and labor! 2013 gti with 70k miles. Screen broke , went into camshaft (lost), timing Chain jumped, tensioner shot, cylinder head scorned. Very happy with what was once a $6800 quote, now being covered heavily out of warranty by goodwill!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Vwoa is covering 75% of parts and labor! 2013 gti with 70k miles. Screen broke , went into camshaft (lost), timing Chain jumped, tensioner shot, cylinder head scorned. Very happy with what was once a $6800 quote, now being covered heavily out of warranty by goodwill!
Congratulations :thumbsup:

EDIT: Our engine in our Tiguan broke at roughly the same milage as yours but VW Canada won't cover it, less than 2 months after the car was serviced at VW Dealer at the time, so sitting in my garage and I've been doing a bit at a time eventually I get it completed. We won't buy another VW, but still working Tuning them, actually easier to tune a 2.0 TSI to Stage 1 than the 2.5.

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Not much more than a tensioner swap job! I'd take that as a win. Still crappy that it happened and that it happened without warning but 1700 is a lot better than 6800.

cevil203

Ready to race!
I've never been so relieved. This put a major amount of stress on me the past 10 days! Massive kudos to VWoA for coming through in the clutch! Really makes me appreciate the brand!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

Grats man! Sucks it happened to begin with but at least they did something for you out of warranty.

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Vwoa is covering 75% of parts and labor!
Hey there. I have the same problem and am wondering how do I get ahold of VWoA and try to hold them accountable? That's great that you got them to cover the job. Any advice appreciated, thanks a lot.

adamsj09

I am also dealing with catastrophic engine failure on my 2010 from timing chain tensioner failing @ 100k miles. Like GreggGTI asked, any suggestions? Who I can call at VWoA? I am probably SOL being a 2010 owner but I will curse the name of VW forever if a manufacturer mistake causes me thousands of dollars.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Hey there. I have the same problem and am wondering how do I get ahold of VWoA and try to hold them accountable? That's great that you got them to cover the job. Any advice appreciated, thanks a lot.
You can call them or ask your dealer to contact them
http://www.vw.com/contact/
http://www.volkswagengroupamerica.com/

I am also dealing with catastrophic engine failure on my 2010 from timing chain tensioner failing @ 100k miles. Like GreggGTI asked, any suggestions? Who I can call at VWoA? I am probably SOL being a 2010 owner but I will curse the name of VW forever if a manufacturer mistake causes me thousands of dollars.
look above