GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In the air...

Skeptix

Ready to race!
My GTI has 40k miles, and like 6k in mods invested into it. I can get a 2013 candy white R 2 door, fully loaded for invoice. (35k)

But... my payments on the GTI are $230, if I sell it, wholesale said they'll give me $17.5 for it, but I'll only have around 8k to place as a down payment. So my payments will almost shoot up to $500. I drive the GTI almost 500 miles a week and if I were to get the R I wouldn't mod it for a while as my next purchase will be a beater. I wanted to get one for the GTI but it's passed that point (40k in a YEAR)

Stupid idea to pull the trigger or just ride out the GTI until it shits the bed? I'm stuck on the fence :\

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
If you're having to sacrifice and go through the trouble of purchasing a beater just so you don't wear the R too much, why go through the hassle? Make worth of your $6K and enjoy it as long as you can. The MK7 is just around the corner!

Purchasing an outdated EA113 won't solve much, and you'll have to invest more just to make the power that you want.... HPFP...

$230 is one hell of a payment, and such a drastic jump isn't necessary. Unless of course you want to build a track monster. :p

You're going to have to invest more just to upkeep that beater!

Skeptix

Ready to race!
If you're having to sacrifice and go through the trouble of purchasing a beater just so you don't wear the R too much, why go through the hassle? Make worth of your $6K and enjoy it as long as you can. The MK7 is just around the corner!

Purchasing an outdated EA113 won't solve much, and you'll have to invest more just to make the power that you want.... HPFP...

$230 is one hell of a payment, and such a drastic jump isn't necessary. Unless of course you want to build a track monster. :p

You're going to have to invest more just to upkeep that beater!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. All my friends are saying do it, but they're in over their heads with car payments so I'm not getting the best advice lol. The R is nice and all the amenities of it are worth it, but for over double the payment... meh GTI is here to stay I think!

Clarkson

Ready to race!
None of what you described sounds like a good idea (trading for the R). It sounds like you know the R doesn't make financial sense but you're surrounded by people who made poor decisions. To me, you have plenty of examples of how not to do things... But hey, YOLO baby...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
much worse mpg should be considered as well.

Skeptix

Ready to race!
Your friends probably think the world will end 12/21/2012. If they are right, you should get the .:R.

Either way, it's a decision you'll have to live with. Why are you considering an R?

Because I put 40,000 miles on my GTI in a year. It's been tuned since 5,700 miles and I have yet to have an issue. I feel like it's a time bomb. Then again it may just be a monster and be a champ for years to come. And whatever value I could get for it is just slowly disappearing.

It's DSG and I want a manual car. I've hit the wall with modding and I want a faster (or at least cheaper to make faster) car. I've looked into STI's/Evo's but they're shit boxes. I guess it's just time to wait and save. Maybe buy a beater to put less miles on the car... I have a 90 mile round commute 5 days a week, so idk.

Maybe by spring I'll be able to grab an S4 from the auction or something, we'll see.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
My commute is 55 miles one way and the the R is a great daily driver... For the commute ill get 350-380 miles per tank. Of coarse this is keeping it under 70 for the most part. I guess my point is that I don't think you would need a commuter car. In my twisted dub mind, if you really needed it then the ideal would be to have a TDI & an R ha ha!

The gamble with your current GTI is how long it will last and how much value would it keep, right?

Also how long will 0% be around?

PLAY_HRD

Passed Driver's Ed
Pay off the GTI, and let it become your "beater" when you make your next car purchase.

I like this idea!!! The GTI is one sweet daily driver. It's fun to drive, good on gas, and tons of space. Once it's paid of you can get a real sports car, because you'll have the practical GTI to fall back on. Trust me... I just made the mistake of trading in a GTI that was well on it's way to being paid off for an R. Like the R, would be happier with a paid off GTI. My 2 cents.

Skeptix

Ready to race!
I like this idea!!! The GTI is one sweet daily driver. It's fun to drive, good on gas, and tons of space. Once it's paid of you can get a real sports car, because you'll have the practical GTI to fall back on. Trust me... I just made the mistake of trading in a GTI that was well on it's way to being paid off for an R. Like the R, would be happier with a paid off GTI. My 2 cents.

I think that's how things are gonna happen. I'm getting a promotion in 2 weeks, so maybe I'll be able to step it up big time in a year or so.