GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's the best stage 2 clutch

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
it should be silent

OH really? I took it to VW dealer where I purchased the car about 1 week after ownership and the service manager got in the car and said everything was normal... :rolleyes:

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
sachs or southbend. truth is, rsr seems like a great clutch, but not many users putting alot of miles on it yet. everyone jumped on the cm 350 train when it came out as well, and look how that turned out. time is the ultimate test.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
sachs or southbend. truth is, rsr seems like a great clutch, but not many users putting alot of miles on it yet. everyone jumped on the cm 350 train when it came out as well, and look how that turned out. time is the ultimate test.

RSR has been in a few stage 3 golf r's for quite some time, with hard launches. The original RSR, before it was officially released, was in the owner of HS's wifes stage 2 mk6 for a LONG time before it was released. Like probably 6 months. And Jeff, the owner, let everyone and their mother take it out for a beating to see what it felt like.

The Clutchmasters were failing after like 15k. Many people have 30k+ on the RSR with no issues.

caffeineTX

Ready to race!

there are already a couple of people with 30k on their RSR

The cm350 that uses OEM DMF is another option that seems to do well. I have a friend that went through southbend cluthes every 10k in his k04 mk6, they kept having spring failures and he kept getting new ones under warranty from southbend. He went through 6 of their kits total longest lasting one was 15k.

He switched to the cm350 and has had good results, I think he has 25k on that setup so far. I was torn between that and the RSR but wound up going with the RSR after talking to Nate so much over the phone trying to decide.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
RSR has been in a few stage 3 golf r's for quite some time, with hard launches. The original RSR, before it was officially released, was in the owner of HS's wifes stage 2 mk6 for a LONG time before it was released. Like probably 6 months. And Jeff, the owner, let everyone and their mother take it out for a beating to see what it felt like.

The Clutchmasters were failing after like 15k. Many people have 30k+ on the RSR with no issues.

right. but what im saying is that the rsr hasnt really proven itself yet. im in no way knocking on the kit, because it seems to be a solid solution for the clutch issues with our cars. I would want more than a few kits to put on heavy miles, and that shouldnt be an issue since it seems as though more issues are trusting this kit.

there are already a couple of people with 30k on their RSR

The cm350 that uses OEM DMF is another option that seems to do well. I have a friend that went through southbend cluthes every 10k in his k04 mk6, they kept having spring failures and he kept getting new ones under warranty from southbend. He went through 6 of their kits total longest lasting one was 15k.

He switched to the cm350 and has had good results, I think he has 25k on that setup so far. I was torn between that and the RSR but wound up going with the RSR after talking to Nate so much over the phone trying to decide.

i wouldnt personally experiment with clutchmasters options (dmf lasting longer then smf on this compound or that compound), if i was in the market for a clutch kit. I have pretty much given up on CM due to their poor quality and even worse customer service when shit did go wrong with our memebers on here and their kits.

pretty surprising your friend went through 6 clutch kits. i know people personally that are on their 2nd-3rd year on the "orginal" sb kit that had the spring issue but never affected their kit. Sb has revised the kit and that issue seems to be history now.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
right. but what im saying is that the rsr hasnt really proven itself yet. im in no way knocking on the kit, because it seems to be a solid solution for the clutch issues with our cars. I would want more than a few kits to put on heavy miles, and that shouldnt be an issue since it seems as though more issues are trusting this kit.

i wouldnt personally experiment with clutchmasters options (dmf lasting longer then smf on this compound or that compound), if i was in the market for a clutch kit. I have pretty much given up on CM due to their poor quality and even worse customer service when shit did go wrong with our memebers on here and their kits.

pretty surprising your friend went through 6 clutch kits. i know people personally that are on their 2nd-3rd year on the "orginal" sb kit that had the spring issue but never affected their kit. Sb has revised the kit and that issue seems to be history now.

There are many out there with many hard racing miles. Call HS Tuning and they'll tell you.

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed
Gonna res this old boy from the dead here.

As I'm in the market for a new clutch. I've been stage II APR for about 60k miles INCLUDING the RSR clutch kit and I have not - NOT ONE SINGLE ISSUE - Now, lets get it clear that I Daily drive about 50 miles one way and are only looking to replace the clutch as my rear main seal is leaking and it'll be apart anyways.

TBH - I'm shopping but not much is keeping me from going back to the RSR?

Anyone got any insight left on this old thread!? Lol

nagokart

Ready to race!
Gonna res this old boy from the dead here.

As I'm in the market for a new clutch. I've been stage II APR for about 60k miles INCLUDING the RSR clutch kit and I have not - NOT ONE SINGLE ISSUE - Now, lets get it clear that I Daily drive about 50 miles one way and are only looking to replace the clutch as my rear main seal is leaking and it'll be apart anyways.

TBH - I'm shopping but not much is keeping me from going back to the RSR?

Anyone got any insight left on this old thread!? Lol
I personally recommend the Sachs SRE clutch. I've been stage 2 on the clutch for 20k miles now and it's been holding up the same as new. Slightly stiffer feel than the stock clutch which is a plus and grabs nice. Easy to drive in traffic too.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
If I had to do it again I’d try the SRE. No issues with the RSR, except the pedal engages so low. At least 1” of dead travel before it engages.

ahard48

Ready to race!

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Already have one of those. Dead pedal travel is at the top, unfortunately. I’d need a “reverse” clutch stop to take up some of the slack at the top of the pedal.