GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership just said my engine is worse than quoted...

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Wow. Gotta say... screw VW for this kind of crap. They better do something about this. I wouldn't blame you for never touching a VW again lol.

I've owned nothing but VW's and I gotta say... if this were to happen to my car I'd burn it and never buy another VW

cevil203

Ready to race!
Wow. Gotta say... screw VW for this kind of crap. They better do something about this. I wouldn't blame you for never touching a VW again lol.

I've owned nothing but VW's and I gotta say... if this were to happen to my car I'd burn it and never buy another VW

i'm hoping they goodwill the repair...but if not, i'm either doing an engine swap or just going to trade it in and take the massive loss. I'm at the point where as boring as a honda will be, the reliability will be much needed. :cry::cry::cry:

the worst part for me is, when i test drove this car it was my first real turbo experience. it lit my face up with excitement feeling that turbo spool...i'm sad how VW has treated this whole situation.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
That's terrible, especially on a car that is barely 4 years old. I thought they figured out the tension/timing chain issues by the 2013 model year. What's the built date of your car? As I'm now wondering when mine will go.

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
Does ur car have the updated tensioner? It should since its a 2013.

cevil203

Ready to race!
That's terrible, especially on a car that is barely 4 years old. I thought they figured out the tension/timing chain issues by the 2013 model year. What's the built date of your car? As I'm now wondering when mine will go.

I don't have the build date, car is at the shop. I meant to check that. I understand a cut off date happens on the 2013 model where they updated the tensioner.

Uberryan

Banned
Should be able to look it up with your vin.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Could also not be related to the tensioner... who knows

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Could also not be related to the tensioner... who knows

He already mentioned the camshaft bridge screen blew out on his engine. This is a common issue on the TSI, if youre lucky the screen will blow out and not get stuck in anything, or it can block oil pressure to the cams causing them to starve and you can jump timing and have catastrophic failure even with an updated timing chain tensioner. I know there's an updated cam bridge part # but I don't know if that remedies the screen problem. It seems to be really common for them to blow out. Another thing you gotta worry about when owning a 2.0 TSI....

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The timing chain had jumped and tensioner needed to be replaced, but the camshaft screen apparently broke in half and went into the engine. I'm not sure which led to the other.

But now the head is warped...which they told me was not the case after diagnosis...so that pisses me off.
One of the key things the dealers look for is the camshaft screen, once the screen is missing they go to task upcharging.

To me if the camshaft screen comes loose goes in the engine and there are any failures, this is a manufacturer fault and all damages should be covered, but VW doesn't subscribe to reason.

SHOPDAP sells repair parts with rebuilt head for ~$1900
https://shopdap.com/store/make-mode...11/engine/vw-audi-2-0-tsi-bent-valve-kit.html

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
He already mentioned the camshaft bridge screen blew out on his engine. This is a common issue on the TSI, if youre lucky the screen will blow out and not get stuck in anything, or it can block oil pressure to the cams causing them to starve and you can jump timing and have catastrophic failure even with an updated timing chain tensioner. I know there's an updated cam bridge part # but I don't know if that remedies the screen problem. It seems to be really common for them to blow out. Another thing you gotta worry about when owning a 2.0 TSI....

Ahhh this is probably why the shop quoted me for a new cam bridge too while I only asked for the timing chain tensioner to be replaced.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
not sure where you are getting your numbers from. buying a used engine is 2200+ the labor which looks to be anywhere from 14-20 hrs.

Market must be horrible in your area. Locally to Sacramento its around $600-1000 labor for a engine swap. I've seen used engines go for between $1200-1800 all day. Depending on how much time you have to search for a good deal you can get a engine swapped out for $2500. ($1500 for a new engine, $1000 labor).

Personally, any shop that quotes book time for a job that isn't a dealership i stay away from.

cevil203

Ready to race!
One of the key things the dealers look for is the camshaft screen, once the screen is missing they go to task upcharging.

To me if the camshaft screen comes loose goes in the engine and there are any failures, this is a manufacturer fault and all damages should be covered, but VW doesn't subscribe to reason.

SHOPDAP sells repair parts with rebuilt head for ~$1900
https://shopdap.com/store/make-mode...11/engine/vw-audi-2-0-tsi-bent-valve-kit.html

Its reason, but its also bottom dollar loss to VW to repair/recall. This also means they are going to lose customers, so not sure if it evens out or what. They couldn't find the screen unfortunately. The kit would be nice, but I don't think it replace the camshaft.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
mechanical failure is not an insurance issue unfortunately.
oh really? hmm maybe it depends on the policy but im pretty sure my friend had his car repaired via insurance when his engine hit the dirt.