GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS tuning down pipe

sneedfeed

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi i finally made an account on here to ask if the ecs down pipe is any good i haven't seen any reviews for it and right now its on sale for for 479 instead of 750 it seems like a good deal but i just wanna know more about it before i pull the trigger. Thanks

sneedfeed

Passed Driver's Ed
its catted

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
I would pull the trigger, that's usually the price for just a catless dp but going catless is always the cheaper route especially if you don't have to worry about emission inspections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneedfeed

Passed Driver's Ed
i was trying to see if anyone here runs the ecs downpipe so i can get a review about it. i was also looking at the 42dd down pipe but i don't know to go for the catless or catted dp i know catless is cheaper but i just down wanna sound like a shitty Honda civic ricer or something i wouldn't mind it being loud if it sounded good.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
I was catless, it doesn't sound nowhere near a Honda lol that would depend on your catback as well, whether it has mufflers or not. It all depends on your set up.

Tbh though it's just a pipe nothing to crazy about it. Just as long as its applicable with your engine code ccta/cbfa then you'll be fine. Cts has theirs for like $500 so if you'd rather go for something that someone has reviewed then I would suggest that one.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
I had an eBay catless dp from 15k miles all the way up to 85k miles with no issues whatsoever. Also it really depends on where you live, if you live somewhere it might snow or something like that then just double check on the material used for the dp so that it won't rust or anything like that.

sneedfeed

Passed Driver's Ed
i'm in Florida so i'm good there but if i buy the 42dd catless do i use it with my stock cat or do i get rid of that too and just have a straight pipe? i'm pretty new to the modding world so sorry for the dumb questions

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
i'm in Florida so i'm good there but if i buy the 42dd catless do i use it with my stock cat or do i get rid of that too and just have a straight pipe? i'm pretty new to the modding world so sorry for the dumb questions

You'll be fine, most downpipes are usually designed to mate up to the stock catback.

P.s. You probably wouldn't like the car straight piped all the way. It causes a lot of drone and vibrates the whole car a lot. Plus it doesn't sound too good

sneedfeed

Passed Driver's Ed
ok so when i pair it with the stock cat back would i lose some performance since its a stock cat back or is a "high flow" cat better?

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
ok so when i pair it with the stock cat back would i lose some performance since its a stock cat back or is a "high flow" cat better?

The catback doesn't really matter. The downpipe is the only thing from the two that will give you actual performance gains. Catback is just for sound. As far as being catless or catted, the power difference is minimal, with catless it'll have a more rasp sound and will smell. Being catted will prevent it from smelling and usually has a slightly deeper tone. By changing the downpipe in general you will gain performance. It's one of the most noticeable mods you can do where you will notice the change of sound and flow right away.

sneedfeed

Passed Driver's Ed
So if i go with a catless dp what should i keep or get rid of to make it sound good.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
So if i go with a catless dp what should i keep or get rid of to make it sound good.

I would try it out like that first and see how you like it. Then you can search up the Internet of different catback set ups to see the different sounds.

My last set up was catless 3" downpipe w/ stock catback. The stock catback had a resonator delete as well and from all the other set ups I had before I can honestly say this was the cheapest exhaust hack that didn't sound bad for the money

sneedfeed

Passed Driver's Ed
yea i heard the resonator delete was cheap and that it didn't sound bad. so final point when you say catless downpipe w/ stock catback u mean you used the stock cat?