GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is your Top Speed?

Randycfitch

Passed Driver's Ed
I was travel this holiday and found myself on a fairly open stretch of Interstate with very few cars and likelihood of no police. So cruising at 80mph ---- I quickly increase my speed to just see what my GTI would do. It hit 122mph in about 5-6 seconds. I cruised there for about 10 seconds. The car was stable and it seemed like it had quite a bit more top end remaining. I would guess the car would have easily cleared 140mph if I had kept pushing. I was blessed but a little surprised.

I was wondering what other GTI drivers have seen in their Top Speed trials ? My car is Stage I with a new intake system --- not huge modifications. I wonder what Stage II or III --- must be huge!

Thanks in advance for sharing experiences.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
According to VW.de the top speed is 149 mph. They tend to list fairly accurate numbers.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
Similar situation driving home from holiday expeditions this weekend... only hit 106mph. It was 30* out (cold tires) and with high winds. It was my first time in triple digits with this car, once the strong crosswinds started I decided not to push it. Oh, completely stock.

TGFan77

For me I've only hit about 85. Just got it a couple of weeks ago and haven't been on the road during an obscure enough hour to test it yet.

fender177

Ready to race!
Before I got mine chipped, I had her up to 127 mph. Haven't had the chance to see how fast she can go after the stage 1 tune.

Sent from my iPad with typos

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Got it up to about 120 the other night. Id be hard pressed to find a place to get it much higher.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I've hit 90 mph fairly easily on the highway while messing with the media input.

APR S1 is supposed to get rid of the speed limiter and my Continental DWS tires are W rated to 168 mph. If VW limits us to 140+ mph I'd like to find a drag strip to find out if I can really go that fast.

If anyone has gone 140+, how is the GTI at that speed? Is it rattling, quiet, or sound really labored?

John Y1

Ready to race!
It's excellent, at least with the right tires; very good straight-line stability, and lane changing is not a problem. I could drive it at 120mph to 130mph all day long, and it gets there quite easily. Above that, acceleration is markedly slower if I recall and the speed is noticeable. My car has reached 153mph on a few occasions, (Garmin confirmed) might have a little more in it but there are few opportunities for that, even here in Germany. On the other hand, I recently had a 40+ mile stretch with speeds between 105mph and 120mph. It's a pleasure to drive the car in the environment it was designed for (suddenly my rattle box in NYC feels like a bank vault on most German roads :) ) and to be able to use it to its full potential.

mattbrown

Ready to race!
I took a trip from Harford County MD to OC MD a few weeks back at 2am. I had my stage 1 gti on all season pzeros up to 138 on a straight. I wouldn't feel comfortable any higher than that. It was almost as if the car was floating.

John Y1

Ready to race!
Haven't had the chance to see how fast she can go after the stage 1 tune.

Sent from my iPad with typos

Flash tunes using the stock turbo - especially stage 1 - don't make a huge difference in top speed - firstly because increasing top speed over what the GTI maxes out at stock (149) requires a lot of extra power for small incremental increases, and secondly because the tunes make most of their power bump in the mid range - by the time you reach 6k rpm, where you would be approaching maximum speed in gear, the turbo has been bled back to stock or nearly stock boost.

GTIpilot1

Ready to race!
130 and it took a long time. I mean a LONG time. I feel like this car has no power above 100....

now, not that I'm regretting my GTI by any means, because I really do love the go-kart handling, but my old Passat 3.6 would have made this thing look like a joke on the interstate (likely even w/ stage I)

GTIpilot1

Ready to race!
130 and it took a long time. I mean a LONG time. I feel like this car has no power above 100....

now, not that I'm regretting my GTI by any means, because I really do love the go-kart handling, but my old Passat 3.6 would have made this thing look like a joke on the interstate (likely even w/ stage I)

I should also add that I do live in Florida and this was on a day where it was 85 degrees and *surprise, surprise* very humid.... but still... I was pretty disappointed

rcopp

Ready to race!
145, it felt like i could have kept going a bit, but I bitched out.