GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Instrument Cluster Ticking Sound

Bill19751

Ready to race!
I've noticed after shutting the car off, I hear a fast ticking sound that gradually slows, and stops as the gas gauge needle goes back down. Any idea what this is?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I've noticed after shutting the car off, I hear a fast ticking sound that gradually slows, and stops as the gas gauge needle goes back down. Any idea what this is?

take a video and post.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Wow that is quite strange. i agree it does align with the movement of the fuel gauge. I'm not certain anything ad will come from this other than mild annoyance. Haven't heard of this before, to be honest.

AccelaSX

Ready to race!

What you are hearing is a stepper motor skipping steps. All of our gauges are driven by stepper motors. They can click for a long time, but eventually it will fail.

Bill19751

Ready to race!
That makes sense. Wonder what the dealer can do about it or if they will just tell me to wait until it fails. Guess I'll find out.

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
It won't be covered under warranty, so wait till it fails and it can take a really long time before it fails. This clicking can last couple of year or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill19751

Ready to race!
Surprise it would not be covered. They would just say it's normal? Is it possible to just replace the motor or just the whole cluster have to be replaced?

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
The sound is not normal and if you have extended warranty than it should be covered. But this will not be covered under power train warranty. It's possible to replace the failed motor, but these days everything is replaced in units, so dealer will replace entire cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill19751

Ready to race!
OK, well the car has a VW CPO warranty. I have noticed this and a few other small issues but I wanted to see if they would be covered. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring it in and ask

Bill19751

Ready to race!
Well, it's really a minor annoyance. I'm not terribly worried about it, but it doesn't hurt to try. And if it goes bad down the road, well, then I have an excuse to try a cluster swap...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
and even then, good luck claiming that under CPO warranty. Hopefully you have a good VW dealership - have the VW of North America phone number handy for when you storm off the lot