GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So I sat in a GOLF R, want one now!!

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Hahaha I hear ya... Yeah be careful with those impulse purchases.... I think everyone here knows a little something about those ;)

The R is somewhat unreliable when going the mod route. Notice how your engine cover says TSI, yet your actual head is an FSI? HPFP is needed for stage 1+ too.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Haha I told my mom that. She was like wtf why a V-Dub get the Audi. I just couldn't convince myself to drop that much dough on an A3 unless it had Quattro and was Alpine white with Titanium Plus Package. I looked into a used one with 5k on and the dealer wanted 42k for it. He said it was rare.

yep, i hear ya.

You're paying for the name as well. And I don't mean part of the price is owning a nice Audi. It's the intimidation factor. Most people just expect the car to be priced where it's at because of the name, so they don't even make a dent in their "negotiating".

It's kinda funny from a car dealer's point of view.

yeah, I was definitely "paying" for the look/the front end primarily - with the LEDs, facelifted bumper 09+, etc. The rear tails were LED's as well, but yeah, definitely lost some creature comforts from the GTI.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
my engine cover says TFSI, lol...

McQueen77

Banned
i think the R looks real nice and everytime ive been at the dealer since they came out i stare at them. they are nicer than the GTI, plain and simple. they also cost a lot more. the fact that they also have a k04 make them a nice place to start modding. i love the dual center exhaust and the interior is really, really nice. its just hard selling people a VW that costs almost $40k optioned, after taxes and fees etc..

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
i think the R looks real nice and everytime ive been at the dealer since they came out i stare at them. they are nicer than the GTI, plain and simple. they also cost a lot more. the fact that they also have a k04 make them a nice place to start modding. i love the dual center exhaust and the interior is really, really nice. its just hard selling people a VW that costs almost $40k optioned, after taxes and fees etc..

Yep... but recently they have been running them at up to 5k OFF sticker. Which is still a lot of money, but the gap has narrowed. Since the GTIs get at most a 3500 discount.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, I mean if it was 2010 again and the R was actually here, and at those discounted prices, and the dealer said you can get the Premium R for $33K, or the MT GTI Autobahn for $29K (also discounted), I'd gladly have paid the extra for the R at the time.

Last edited:

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
The R is somewhat unreliable when going the mod route. Notice how your engine cover says TSI, yet your actual head is an FSI? HPFP is needed for stage 1+ too.

Yeah I think
With modding right now you're right... I feel while there are some good products for the car the better stuff is still in production ... I haven't heard of any problems with just stage 1 Ecu upgrade have you?

McQueen77

Banned
Yep... but recently they have been running them at up to 5k OFF sticker. Which is still a lot of money, but the gap has narrowed. Since the GTIs get at most a 3500 discount.

yeah.. end of the day though, im just a cheap bastard.. ok, maybe not cheap but value minded. i havent even driven the R, so I don't really know but every review I've seen seems to be the same conclusion: its good, but not good enough. also seems like it has a lot of nanny's in place that the R32 which is basically a classic, didn't have. like VW tried to do basically just an upscale GTI, like the next trim line above autobahn.. and lets remember that the R is not true AWD either.. that being said, even if I'm only going to pay 'only' five grand more than a GTI, it needs to be a lot better for the price hike.

my mom used to say to me 'you have champagne tastes on a beer budget'. that being said, the GTI is perfect for me. i want nice but i can't really afford nice. the R seems expensive to me. sounds messed up but if i'm paying in the mid 30s and up, i want it to the have the 4 circles on the grill or the 3-point star emblem...

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
I am thinking the same thing OP.....especially with $5k off ....

I didnt realize they were doing that, discounting so much, can someone name a dealer thats dropping them for that much off? I really wanted one but realized it has a lot of what my GTi already has including the same transmission which is a big one for me, the transmission we have right now is a weak link for the GTi's, less from a parts perspective but from more of a feel. The blue needles and all the fluff aren't that big of a draw for me but it does look nicer and the AWD is huge.

Going from a TDI to an R is a big change, but going from a GTi to an R, there has to be some middle point and 5k off sticker isnt bad whatsoever, you just have to negotiate a sick number for the trade to make up a bit there.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I mean if it was 2010 again and the R was actually here, and at those discounted prices, and the dealer said you can get the Premium R for $33K, or the MT GTI Autobahn for $29K (also discounted), I'd gladly have paid the extra for the R at the time.

Yep... that price difference makes it a very attractive buy. And R's are rare and resale will be that much better in the end anyways. So its a literally a no brainer.

SuperCommuterGolf

Ready to race!
I didnt realize they were doing that, discounting so much, can someone name a dealer thats dropping them for that much off? I really wanted one but realized it has a lot of what my GTi already has including the same transmission which is a big one for me, the transmission we have right now is a weak link for the GTi's, less from a parts perspective but from more of a feel. The blue needles and all the fluff aren't that big of a draw for me but it does look nicer and the AWD is huge.

Going from a TDI to an R is a big change, but going from a GTi to an R, there has to be some middle point and 5k off sticker isnt bad whatsoever, you just have to negotiate a sick number for the trade to make up a bit there.

Im not even sure there is $5K off but I've seen it mentioned several times especially here in SoCal. Through USAA I only see a $3100 discount. Who knows, Ill keep looking though.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

Im not even sure there is $5K off but I've seen it mentioned several times especially here in SoCal. Through USAA I only see a $3100 discount. Who knows, Ill keep looking though.

its not a guarantee, but I have seen them dip that low twice in the last 2 months. Bound to happen again.

t'sGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just replaced my 2011 GTI (Compliments of Hurricane Sandy) with a 2013 Golf R. Shopped around a lot and in this area a good deal is $2,000 to $3,000off sticker. I got my 4 door with sunroof and nav for $34,525 plus I get $500 back from VW for my insurance deductible.

I have only had the car since last Wednesday night but I love it. It is like the GTI but amplified somewhat. Engine is definitely stronger and sounds great. The AWD really transforms the handling balance of the car and no more spinning front wheels when you have to take off fast. My GTI was the sunroof/nav package and as much as I liked the plaid seats I think the leather interior makes the car feel much more upscale. I was forced into getting another car so I figured I might as well go for it!