GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone go from 6 speed Manual to DSG

Redryan98

Passed Driver's Ed
Excellent feedback guys, I appreciate it. If only the front of our seats could be lowered independent of the rear of the seat, I think it would be much better. I find that I have to press "down" more than "forward" on the clutch pedal when shifting this car. I find that when I get the right seat position for my back, my knee hurts. When I get the seat positioned where my knee is comfy, my back hurts. I've yet to find a happy medium.

I have also considered trying to trade for the cloth seats. Definetely an option there to.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I traded my manual GTI in on a DSG TT (that my gf now drives daily, I only drive it on occasion). Both suck compared to my manual S4 :lol:

If I had to go back to a GTI I'd ge the manual again, the DSG is too quirky.

Both setups are really annoying in some ways and really good in others. Such is the nature of a $25k car - compromise everywhere.

Sleepin gti1

Ready to race!
I have about 17,000 miles or so on my 6MT, and the shifter feel definitely improved over time. I have yet to try one, but a lot people say the Diesel Geek Sigma 6 is also a great mod. I was initially considering one, since I disliked the vagueness of the shifter initially, but it's definitely moved down my priority list now. Maybe you can try checking out someone's car with a DG SS, or even just a broken in stock one to see if it still bothers you. Obviously, there are cases for both sides of the pond, but I think sticking with manual really comes down to how much you enjoy rowing your own gears.

^this I have a 6mt with the desiel geek sigma six makes you feel with the car more almost feels half the length of stock even though its 40% front to back and side to side worth every penny

Stag

Banned
How many miles do you have? I have a cw dsg 2-door. Cloth seats, sunroof, bluetooth, apr stage 1, slotted front rotors, jom coils, 45k.

Would trade you. I've always had a manual and I just miss having a clutch just like some people hate one.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
the 6 speed manual is fine in this car. if you are shorter you just have to move your seat up and get a torque arm insert to firm things up. clutch travel is long, only real complaint. id also give it some time before jumping ship because there is a learning curve on this manual, purely because of clutch travel/engagement point.
x2. I've always driven and liked manual transmission cars and realized the same thing.

JSWhaler

Ready to race!
As a car enthusiast I've always had and loved manual transmissions. However I now drive automatics because I can no longer drive a manual (handicapped). After a long search on automatic cars I settled with my 2013 GTi DSG. I bought the car solely on the tranny, as I feel it is the best manual/auto on the market under $40k. However, if I had my leg back I'd still be driving a manual. Get a short shifter kit and have some fun.

McQueen77

Banned
yeah i felt like an idiot at first because it took so long to really get the seating position just right, combo of seat height and distance from wheel along with engagement point but at this point, this is almost 3 years later mind you, the manual is basically effortless for me in the GTI. i couldnt believe it took a long time to get really smooth since every other jap car w/manual i had before was a piece of cake. mine is cloth and i have no experience with the leather GTI seats but i have also heard they are uncomfortable comparatively, which seems weird.

6MT_GTI

Ready to race!
Always had a MT on my cars except my 335is that I traded in for my GTI. The only reason I traded it in was the DCT. Everything else was flawless in that car.
I am enjoying my GTI much more.

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
I currently have a 6mt, but i would get dsg if i were able to own a miata in manual at the same time. The fun part behind shifting gears with heel toeing and rev matchig is irreplacable.
But I cant afford both so i need to have a manual at all times.

GTG

I have only experienced a DSG, but I can tell you your knee problems will only get worse if you don't switch. I drove stick in all of my cars for about 15 years and my knee now aches if I even look at a clutch. A few months ago, before I bought the GTI, I drove an STI and Focus ST, knee ached for 2 days after not driving a stick car for almost 2 years.

you old farts with your knee problems.

gti should be MT, you'd feel way more connected. but dsg is great on Golf R. especially those with stage 2+ etc.

keep your mt unless you are an old fart. dsg will be super boring.

McQueen77

Banned
this aching knee thing is kind of blowing my mind. the GTI clutch is the easiest clutch to push in i've ever had in my life. its like air.

GTIlly

Passed Driver's Ed
I made the switch from manual to DSG and haven't regretted the decision. I only switched because my car was totaled and I was going to buy another GTI. The DSG suites my needs perfectly as I do a lot of city driving but I wouldn't have switched if I didn't need to. You'll end up paying a good amount of money to make the switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
this aching knee thing is kind of blowing my mind. the GTI clutch is the easiest clutch to push in i've ever had in my life. its like air.

:word:

I've never felt a lighter clutch either. After driving any other car, getting back into the GTI I felt like I was going to put my left foot through the floor because there was no resistance. My girlfriend actually hated learning manual on it because she couldn't feel any feedback from the pedal.