GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water pump?

kapoogle

Passed Driver's Ed
Not 100% sure where to post this but yeah
.. took my vw to get an oil change but I'm currently traveling across country.. Well approximately 2 hours later my water pump failed, and it's right after my 60k warranty as well. I remember my first gti have a recall service for it due to being faulty. I thought it was 11-14.. I called other dealerships to see, They said nope, And confirmed my warranty was out. Also the pre-certified used was out but the mileage they said was literally exactly where my mileage was at , which brought attention to me. Probably because modified? I called Volkswagen of America to just to get clarification and no luck.. I also misfired due to a spark plug electrode damn near shattered inside but was able to inch it to a shop near by but no where close to a dealership.. I'm learning, young and naive but in for the experience. So any advice from anyone? (Be lightly lol)

gdub09

Ready to race!
Yeah water pumps aren't covered under warranty usually. If you you're mechanically inclined just change it yourself. They're not hard to do

kapoogle

Passed Driver's Ed
ahh alright I was confused then.. Just removing the intake manifold and then yeah switching it out.. Going cross country currently so was forced to take it to a shop nearby.. They switched it out and now we got the code p0118, tomorrow getting a new sensor for it, which is unusual because the part was from a dealership and was defective.. weird. lol Thank you for the time to reply and look at the post, I appreciate it!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
VW will only replace the water pump under warranty if your VIN# is on their list. Don't bet the house on it because more than likely yours won't be on it. Bullshit...yes indeed. Cheapest route is replacing it yourself, if you're mechanically inclined.

kapoogle

Passed Driver's Ed
Ahh alright, I understand.. -,- bummer but it is what it is! Hopefully back on the road today... Thank you also for the time and reply, I appreciate it!

gdub09

Ready to race!
No problem man! It sucks cause it's so common and I swear that the list of VINs is only like 10 VINs lol

kapoogle

Passed Driver's Ed
indeed! lol this is 3rd one too haha now just trying to figure out p0118, even with new coolant temp sensor the code persists.. :eek::23:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
No problem man! It sucks cause it's so common and I swear that the list of VINs is only like 10 VINs lol

I'm starting to think the cars that are eligible are already wrecked and resting in the salvage yard. haha

As shady as VW have been, I wouldn't doubt it.

kapoogle

Passed Driver's Ed
hmmmm, i'm going to look into that! thank you, I appreciate it!!!

kapoogle

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm slowly floating to the idea of selling my GTI -,- It's my second one, but I love them!! Maybe something more practical haha Hopefully today can figure out the p0118 and hit the road :thumbup:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I'm slowly floating to the idea of selling my GTI -,- It's my second one, but I love them!! Maybe something more practical haha Hopefully today can figure out the p0118 and hit the road :thumbup:

The numerous "revisions" of parts was one of the reasons why I got rid of mine. Honestly, how many times does a parts manufacturer have to revise a part? That just means it was a crappy design to begin with. You don't hear other car companies making 5/6 revisions on a particular part.

kapoogle

Passed Driver's Ed
very true, but I love my gti! Got rid of one before and this is my second lol I'm going to have to take my manifold off again to fix the coolant temp sensor -,- dealership recommended i change the ambient temp sensor on the bumper but that seems like them trying to waste my time.. I don't think it would cause p0118 at all.. hmmmmm :laugh:

UberFast

Ready to race!
My 2012 wasn't on the their VIN list either. Mine went out about a month ago. It sucked seeing that pool of coolant sitting under my car. Oh and fyi, you don't have to pull the intake manifold to change it. I didn't.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kapoogle

Passed Driver's Ed
without removing the intake? say what???? :O :eek: Water pump is good now just the coolant temp sensor -,-