GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Went in for a simple oil change.....

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I usually do my own oil changes but I had a coupon and been busy with work so I figured I'll take my car in a quick oil change. On top of the oil change I got a nice estimate for two repairs that need to be done immediately (according to them).

Turbo recirculation valve (sounds like the DV to me) for a cost of $310.66
Upper timing cover due to leak (not seeing any leak) for a cost of $404.66

There is some oil seeping around the valve cover but not enough in my opinion to claim that the turbo recirculation valve and the upper timing cover are leaking oil and need immediate attention. Thoughts?

I'll be doing everything myself but want to make sure I'm not dealing with another issue that they might be misdiagnosing (bad PCV).

Laimface

Ready to race!
I usually do my own oil changes but I had a coupon and been busy with work so I figured I'll take my car in a quick oil change. On top of the oil change I got a nice estimate for two repairs that need to be done immediately (according to them).

Turbo recirculation valve (sounds like the DV to me) for a cost of $310.66
Upper timing cover due to leak (not seeing any leak) for a cost of $404.66

There is some oil seeping around the valve cover but not enough in my opinion to claim that the turbo recirculation valve and the upper timing cover are leaking oil and need immediate attention. Thoughts?

I'll be doing everything myself but want to make sure I'm not dealing with another issue that they might be misdiagnosing (bad PCV).

GFB DV+ is around $100, that'll fix your DV and help hold boost,.

I bought a new PCV from the local VW dealer for £80. Not sure if they're as cheap in the USA.

As for the oil leaks. Clean any oil and see where it comes back. I have a lower timing cover leak from when the tensioner was replaced. in 6k miles it just gets a bit damp and dirty. Nothing to worry about,

Uberryan

Banned
Sounds like BS. Unless they pressure tested, or drove the car, how could they tell the DV was blown? Get a Rev D valve and be done with it.

As far as the cover leak, look for the place of origin. If it's the PCV or oil cap, replace PCV. Done.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Sounds like BS. Unless they pressure tested, or drove the car, how could they tell the DV was blown? Get a Rev D valve and be done with it.

As far as the cover leak, look for the place of origin. If it's the PCV or oil cap, replace PCV. Done.

Yes, that's what I'll be doing this weekend.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Unless the DV is throwing a fault code right off the bat... either way, 300.00? Lol yeah, I'd be doing a relocate for that price at least.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
You can get a brand new Pierburg OEM DV for like $50 on amazon. Install takes 15 mins if you can jack up your car. I can do it with just the front passenger jacked up.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
You can get a brand new Pierburg OEM DV for like $50 on amazon. Install takes 15 mins if you can jack up your car. I can do it with just the front passenger jacked up.

Yes, I have a spare Pierburg laying around that I'll throw in there this weekend. Just odd that they are telling me the DV is leaking oil, upper timing cover is leaking oil. I see slight seepage around the valve cover but nothing major that would be related to any of the issues they identified.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, I have a spare Pierburg laying around that I'll throw in there this weekend. Just odd that they are telling me the DV is leaking oil, upper timing cover is leaking oil. I see slight seepage around the valve cover but nothing major that would be related to any of the issues they identified.

DV is likely leaking oil due to bad pcv... ditch the OEM valve and get the turbosmart plumb back DV, all manual, no more issues.

Also might want to get a new pcv.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Second the new PCV. Will help protect your rear main seal as well. Just had to have that replaced. Recommend a catch can as well to protect the new PCV from seeing boost pressure.