GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Cabin Pollen Filter Replacement

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
DIY for cabin filter replacement in 2011 GTI. Other Golf models / years may also apply.

VW recommended service interval every 20,000 miles or 2 years.

I change mine once a year (it gets kinda nasty).

Tools Needed: 2 X Hands

Parts: VW Cabin Filter 1K1819653B or Mann CUK2939

Step 1:

Underneath your passenger side dash, you will notice 2 x plastic twist screws. Use your fingers to remove them counter-clockwise.

Step 2:

With the screws removed you can now remove the carpet material surrounding the vent holes. There are no clips or anything. The carpet is just tucked in beneath the plastic panels. Pull from the front. Remove the whole carpet panel. It's bout the size of a rectangular dinner plate.

Step 3:

It's important you fully remove the carpet panel or you will not have enough room. You will see a rectangular plastic box in the upper left side. Slide the lid on the bottom to the right. You can use the rectangular holes on the bottom of the lid to latch your fingers and pull right.

Step 4:

Once you pull all the way to the right, you should be able to pull the lid down and off. Notice the L shaped clips. They fit into the slots in the bottom of the paper filter.

Step 5:

Pull the filter straight down. Be gentle. You may have to push the trim on the sides to clear any obstructions. There will be some leaves and shit in the filter, so watch your face.

It may look clean, but it has about a 1-2mm layer of crap in all the crevices. This is after 15K miles.

Step 6:

Grab your new filter. The orientation should be like shown. The slanted end is on the upper right when you face it. Slide it back into the slot carefully.

Step 7:

Align the lid clips with the filter slots. Push up all the way, and slide it to the left to lock.

Step 8:

Tuck in the carpet panel. Then re-install the plastic screws by turning clockwise. You're done!

Now I purchased the generic Mann filter from Amazon for $11.36 shipped. That's what ECS charges for shipping. If you're worried about it being cheaper quality, don't. They are exactly the same. The stock one is also made by Mann.

Picture of the original filter:

That's it. Hope you enjoyed. :)

Last edited:

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Thanks everyone.

how many miles before we need to change the pollen filter??

I think it's 20k per VW. It's probably in your service manual. I change mine out every December. Lot's of pollen in my area.

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
In every car I've ever owned, I've always changed them at about 6k or 6 months, they've always been dirty at that point plus thereafter I've also noticed the dash starting to get more dust etc... faster. I just changed mine about 2 weeks ago, I used the same filter and bought off Amazon with the 2-day shipping using Prime.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Bloody well done Turtljames!

mark986

Ready to race!
^ Yep. Plus, it will be covered to first time with your 20K service.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Couple things to add, pollen filter maintenance is every 2 years or every 20K, whatever comes first.

And the 2 things to unscrew to take off the cover, don't bother, grab the back side and fold it forward and you can get the filter out no problem without removing anything. Take literally less than a minute.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Couple things to add, pollen filter maintenance is every 2 years or every 20K, whatever comes first.

And the 2 things to unscrew to take off the cover, don't bother, grab the back side and fold it forward and you can get the filter out no problem without removing anything. Take literally less than a minute.

Good to know. Added official service intervals. Thanks!

I'd recommend you taking off the panel the first time at least, so you can easily see what you're doing. It only takes 2 minutes longer.

In my case, I'm glad I did because my car came from the factory with the insulation hanging outside the panel. Gave me a chance to stuff it back in properly.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Is there a carbon filter version? Would love to take it up a notch in filtering especially when I get caught stinky diesel (not a TDI of course!).

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Is there a carbon filter version? Would love to take it up a notch in filtering especially when I get caught stinky diesel (not a TDI of course!).

The stock filter IS a charcoal version

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
The stock filter IS a charcoal version

Yes, both the original and aftermarket Mann filter linked above has charcoal.

Not sure about other aftermarket ones.