GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Leftover - price, anything I'm missing out on?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
So, I was stupid. I bought into the whole New Ford thing and purchased a 2012 Focus last November because the vehicle I was trading ('06 Scion) was at a mileage point where it would start to depreciate like a rock if I drove it any longer. Also, I had a family member pass away in a car accident, and felt it would be prudent to drive something a little safer. I loved the design, features, and found the interior to be surprisingly high quality. I work in the automotive industry, so my knowledge of various cars is deeper than most, unfortunately I came up a little short-sighted on this purchase, even though reviews were positive and initial quality was excellent.

Not a bad looking car, really.

Anyways, aside from bad luck with a deer that ran into the side of the car on New Years Day this year, I've had a major issue with the front suspension clunking since ~600 miles, and it's dependent on certain road conditions and temperature, and also vehicle payload. On the Focus forums, there are numerous complaints with no real resolution from Ford regarding this issue. I'm at 16700 miles now, and pulling my hair out. I've had one Ford dealer say that it was normal/characteristic of 'european' suspension/weren't able to duplicate, and I even had the service manager and shop foreman give me attitude. The second dealer was unable to duplicate the issue due to fresh pavement in the area and also told me that even if there was an issue, they also wouldn't touch the car due to aftermarket springs and wheels (same dimensions as OEM wheels and tires).

Disclaimer: I do fully understand the implications of installing aftermarket parts.

So, without getting into the gritty details of how many different OEM parts I've installed, and tweaks and experiments I've tried on the suspension over the last year, I've now reinstalled the OEM bits, and the clunk is obnoxiously loud. I'm pulling a few strings to try and get a dealer to warranty the issue this time around, but since I've dealt with this without making any forward progress and I've now returned the car back to stock form, I'm ready to take the bath and get into something else.

I've always wanted a GTI, and I found a 2-door base manual leftover in Maryland for 22,599, which seems to be a pretty damn good price to start with.

So, for a 2012 leftover GTI, would you consider that a fair price? Also, would there be anything important that I'm missing out on if I were to go for a '12 versus a '13 in identical spec?

Last edited:

sick12gti

Ready to race!
Just wait till the new one come's out next year.. more power and less weight... I got my 2012 last year for 24,710 base model with dsg.. at the time I could have gotten a base with a 6 speed man. for 23,500... just some info for you fyi

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
Just wait till the new one come's out next year.. more power and less weight... I got my 2012 last year for 24,710 base model with dsg.. at the time I could have gotten a base with a 6 speed man. for 23,500... just some info for you fyi

This! Especially since you just got a new car, you'll lose the most money, wait for mk7 and save for nice options. Base models hurt the overall experience.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, but no thanks. While I do like the Mk7 design, I'd rather wait until the new MQB car is further along in production. Let VW work out the bugs first. After dealing with the teething issues I've had with my Focus, I'm not buying the first model year of a vehicle again. Also, regardless of the bath I'm going to take at trade-in, I'm not interested in staying with the Ford, since it seems to have a structural issue rather than a easily fixable component issue. Ford doesn't want to fix it, and I'm tired of chasing my tail and wasting my money trying to fix it myself.

Also, the base trim has everything I want, except for the Watkins Glen wheels. I'm not a person who likes a lot of options or complexity. Engine, 4 wheels, bluetooth, and a stick shift, please.

So, back to the original questions: Is 22,599 a fair price to start from? And is there anything I'd be missing out on with a 2012 vs. a 2013?

GmanGTI

I think you can do better than that if that price doesn't include taxes and other fees. When I bought my base 4-door last month, they also had a 2-door base for $21,200.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I think you can do better than that if that price doesn't include taxes and other fees. When I bought my base 4-door last month, they also had a 2-door base for $21,200.

Thanks. Good to know. :thumbsup:

Where did you happen to purchase from, if you don't mind?

Noize

Go Kart Champion
No differences from 12-13. I got a 13 because price discounted was about identical at the dealer I talked to. Good luck.

Brexin

Ready to race!
I bought base with 4 door dsg. Only thing i wish i had in the upgraded models was the headlights but i could always buy them later.

I put 13k down and talked the dealer down to i think 24 out the door with tax title and license included. (and 0% interest)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
You can do better then that stated price. I would say 23 OTD would be a decent price but you might be able to push a lower price. You should also see 0% interest financing if you qualify which will be nice.

I hope everything works out for you.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
Didnt you know??

FOCUS stands for...

Fuck
Off
Cause
Ur
Stupid

...never buy a ford. One out of 12 is like they say it should be and the dealerships make me want to punch people.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Another TST refugee haha welcome

The base price you listed I think you could do better or get a better model for a little more

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
FOCUS stands for...

Fuck
Off
Cause
Ur
Stupid

...never buy a ford. One out of 12 is like they say it should be and the dealerships make me want to punch people.

Whatever happened to First On Race Day? Yes it is a Ford but unless you haven't seen a ford in 2 years their old stigma of shitty cars, at least for US and CAN is really getting relieved. Yes the cost of the new styling reduces material quality but for the price they are great. No competition for the GTI, maybe the ST, but generally you get what you pay for.

Others have said you can get a better deal, if you're looking for a bog standard base you can do much better. Look for an upscale area and try to buy a base from a dealership around there. They will want to push those out since their demographics don't allow for those sales.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Another TST refugee haha welcome

The base price you listed I think you could do better or get a better model for a little more

All I want is a base. Steering wheel controls would be nice, but I really don't want a sunroof, and might it be possible to add the MFSW after the fact? I simply want the lowest curb weight and least complexity. :thumbsup:

I'll see what I can do about the price. Just rooted through the fine print and discovered that the price listed doesn't include destination, so I've got some work to do. Regardless, they dropped the price to 21,999 upon a simple e-mail inquiry, so that's a start.

Are there any VW inventory search tools out there? I found the one I'm looking at on cars.com, but there might be more out there that aren't listed.

I'm wary of a CPO GTI due to the threads I've seen on here about clutch failures. I don't want to snag one and discover the clutch has been hammered by a hamfisted clubfoot teenager.

The one at Heritage is my 2nd choice, but I really don't want holes in the bumper.