GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review of DeAutoKey H7rc HID headlights

rpandresen

Ready to race!
So now that I finally had a free weekend I was able to knock out the install of the H7rc bulbs and both sets of H15 bulbs (5800K and 7000K). Pics are below and the DIY will be in another post.

I want to make this clear before the review. I paid for the H7rc bulbs. I did NOT pay for the adapters or the H15 bulbs. This will be a very honest review.

I would like to start out with a review of DeAutoKey. My experiences have been mixed. I own their Cree fogs, Cree reverse lights, and their LED rear blinkers. On both this purchase (H7rc) and the previous purchase of the Cree LED fogs they failed to include the 3M tape. Both times they sent it out immediately upon me alerting them. The quality of all products has been exceptional, but forgetting the 3M tape TWO separate times is something I feel needs to be mentioned.

The Good:
  • The light output is intense...renders the high beams irrelevant (in a good way)
  • The color is pure white and has a very good pattern (pics below)
  • The no-tap adapters require no wire cutting and no tapping into the harness
  • The 5000K color matches the Cree LED fogs from DeAutoKey color
  • Able to install without removal of bumper
  • Haven't been "flashed" by anyone yet

The Mediocre: The H15 bulbs are standard halogen bulbs of different temps. They DO NOT appear significantly brighter than OEM Halogens, simply a different color. They fit perfectly. I feel that any brand of H15 halogen DRL/High Beam bulbs will be perfectly sufficient in this function.

The Bad:
  • The no-tap adapters do not fit as well into the bulb socket as OEM bulbs do. I did have to provide significant force.
  • The build quality of the adapter is not OEM (pics below)
  • The bulbs simply rests in the bracket so you have to hold tight to the wire and the bracket, which complicates installation.

Summary: I would buy again and be happy with the H7rc bulbs and installation. The light output makes the install difficulties well worth the money for halogen housings. The build quality is good, but you will not mistake it for OEM.

PICTURE GALLERY (Description above pic)

The harness and connections compared to OEM bulb and bracket (very straightforward connections)

The no-tap brackets attach to the bulb harness via these connections

Size of no-tap bracket compared to OEM bulb bracket (reach inside your housings and feel how much of the bracket you can touch, this will give you an idea of how the install will go)

This is why I think the brackets fit worse than OEM. The metal contact points are larger than OEM which makes for a MUCH tighter fit.

Non-OEM build quality. Large plastic burr at top. Unsure if it hurt fitment, but I shaved it off just in case.

How the components fit into engine bay

H7RC W/O Fog Lights

H7RC WITH Fog Lights and High Beams

Mazda CX-5 with HID (compare cutoff)

H7rc cutoff

These picture compare the Cree LED fog light to the H15 bulbs. I put the 5800K bulb in my passenger side and the 7000K bulb in the driver side so I could test quicker. The pics don't show the color difference well. It is my opinion that 7000K matches the Cree LED Fog lights the best, but are too blue. I believe a 6500K would be best.

H15 5800K (left side of pic) and Cree Fog (right side of pic)

H15 7000K (right side of pic) and Cree Fog (left side of pic)

If you have any questions please ask below. I will give you any info that I have.

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks - we cannot wait to see the DIY!

We want to thank you for the honest review also, we want to clear up some concerns with the above statements.
The adapters are not identical to OEM as it fit many cars:
MK7 GTI
PASSAT B7
JSW

LISING:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gt...kit-full-set-including-adapters-and-resistors

for the issues you had with the adapters, we updated them and they have a much better fit:
x
The no-tap adapters do not fit as well into the bulb socket as OEM bulbs do. I did have to provide significant force.
The build quality of the adapter is not OEM (pics below)
The bulbs simply rests in the bracket so you have to hold tight to the wire and the bracket, which complicates installation.
x

Last edited:

rpandresen

Ready to race!
Headlights are holding up just fine. The only longevity issue I've had is the 3M double sided tape provided to attach the components. There aren't any great places to attach the components in the engine bay where heat won't be an issue. They are still attached to where I originally stuck them, but not quite as firmly. Like they are starting to flop a little bit. Nothing has fallen off but I could see it happening. Not their fault, just a product of the design of the engine bay not being meant for shit to be taped inside.

If you go to this post http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91887 and scroll down to the 4th picture, the orange box is what is having the most droop. The piece it's taped too is not super flat and kinda narrow. It was the only option I could fine, but not the best.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Headlights are holding up just fine. The only longevity issue I've had is the 3M double sided tape provided to attach the components. There aren't any great places to attach the components in the engine bay where heat won't be an issue. They are still attached to where I originally stuck them, but not quite as firmly. Like they are starting to flop a little bit. Nothing has fallen off but I could see it happening. Not their fault, just a product of the design of the engine bay not being meant for shit to be taped inside.

If you go to this post http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91887 and scroll down to the 4th picture, the orange box is what is having the most droop. The piece it's taped too is not super flat and kinda narrow. It was the only option I could fine, but not the best.

Thank you for the update, we do agree with you on the 3m tape, our ballast has the bracket for the screw and we recommend using that but many want to use the 3m tape so we have to send it - using the bracket will eliminate that issue.

But thank you very much for your feedback and great review.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Do these hid lights work in the depo proje tor lights?

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor