GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Discuss Clutch Options (Disc, Pressure Plate, Flywheel) - Summary of discussion

mlody91

Ready to race!
Has anyone installed or even heard of DKM (Der Kupplungs Meister)? They offer twin disc clutch kits for the mk6 with their 18.6 lb SMFW and supposedly, "The two organic disc setup provides additional contact surface area for higher torque capacity and longer lifecycle."

Here's the link http://www.dkmclutch.eu/

Joveen

Ready to race!
was looking them up too hooefully someone has had an experience with them if not i might buy it and give a review

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mlody91

Ready to race!
was looking them up too hooefully someone has had an experience with them if not i might buy it and give a review

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Bump. Hoping this gets some traction. Deciding between DKM stage 3 with the twin clutch disc setup, RSR or Southbend's Stage 2 daily.

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
The twin clutch DKM sounds like it could be overkill. I was leaning towards the RSR because it would be quieter than the SB Stage 2, but ended up going withe SB unit as I was not comfortable leaving the dual mass flywheel in a car with 40k miles. Don't get me wrong, lots of people reuse the old dual mass flywheel, but I felt more comfortable with all new parts. Is the SB stage 2 louder than stock? Yes, but I really like the clutch feel. If you can find someone with a SB clutch it would be a good idea to listen to it as everyone has a different tolerance for noise.

Last edited:

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
A twin disc is way overkill for the vast majority on this forum.....

RSR if you want the DMFW....if not, I'd recommend the Sachs SRE Stage 2 w/SMFW. The Sachs kit is an organic disc that has a really smooth engagement. I daily drove it in bumper to bumper traffic for a year or so with 0 complaints.

My car was K04 and never slipped once.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

mlody91

Ready to race!
A twin disc is way overkill for the vast majority on this forum.....

RSR if you want the DMFW....if not, I'd recommend the Sachs SRE Stage 2 w/SMFW. The Sachs kit is an organic disc that has a really smooth engagement. I daily drove it in bumper to bumper traffic for a year or so with 0 complaints.

My car was K04 and never slipped once.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've been eyeing the SRE clutch and RSR clutch for quite some time now, but I think I'm leaning more towards the SRE clutch....just haven't found a distributor with a fair enough price. $1,400 from emmanuelle designs plus some additional $ for the metal TOB is not exactly a pill I can justify swallowing.

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
I did look at the SRE as well and agree that it would be a great option. I went SB simply because I could get it for less and the local independent VW shop that installed mine has a lot of happy customers running the SB Stage 2.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
anyone have any long term info on the Black Forest Industries Clutch kit?

adam.mk6.gti

anyone have any long term info on the Black Forest Industries Clutch kit?

I have had the stage 2 kit in my GTI on APR stage 2 for the last 12 months. Initially, the pedal feels significantly more stiff then stock. Probably 50% harder. Engagement is great and have been enjoying the clutch 100%, little bit of gear lash and of course the rattle from the smf. The engagement is much more of/off even with the organic clutch plate but I imagine this with all upgraded clutch kits.

Had an issue lately where thrust bearing failed catastrophically and ended up with about 4-5mm end float on the crank, new motor exercise.. Not sure if its because of the stronger pressure plate, or I just got seriously unlucky. however, the stage 2 BFI kit is going into the new motor so will guess ill find out in due time. I do recommend the kit, however if I had my time again I would probably go RSR kit. For near stock feel and dmf along with resale benefit of not having a hard clutch to operate and pleanty of holding force if your staying stock turbo.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
I have had the stage 2 kit in my GTI on APR stage 2 for the last 12 months. Initially, the pedal feels significantly more stiff then stock. Probably 50% harder. Engagement is great and have been enjoying the clutch 100%, little bit of gear lash and of course the rattle from the smf. The engagement is much more of/off even with the organic clutch plate but I imagine this with all upgraded clutch kits.

Had an issue lately where thrust bearing failed catastrophically and ended up with about 4-5mm end float on the crank, new motor exercise.. Not sure if its because of the stronger pressure plate, or I just got seriously unlucky. however, the stage 2 BFI kit is going into the new motor so will guess ill find out in due time. I do recommend the kit, however if I had my time again I would probably go RSR kit. For near stock feel and dmf along with resale benefit of not having a hard clutch to operate and pleanty of holding force if your staying stock turbo.

Thrust Bearing? Wtf is that???? What did BFI say?? Im second guessing BFI now :(

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Thrust Bearing? Wtf is that???? What did BFI say?? Im second guessing BFI now :(

Throw out bearing...

And the problem with BFI is there are no decent reviews. Every one that exists is like "yeah bro had dis clutch fo 1200 miles yo its perfect no issues u should go 2 buy it right now" but no long term reviews. Like i don't give a shit if your clutch lasted a thousand miles. Congrats. And then they never follow up with how it held up long term. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk