GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blow-by/PCV/Lots of Smoke. Need Solid Answers

kdub808

Ready to race!
I need yoyur help, @zrickety
I suspect my PCV if faulty.
I was told that to check it, while the car is on idle, I should pull oil dipstick.
Witht eh dipstick out, car should idle roughly, if there's no change meaning the PCV is faulty.
Well, in my car when I pull the dipstick there's no change.
I'm thinking of following your procedure and block off the front port and run a dump tube.
But you wrote "If they truly tested your pcv system and it's working normally".
1. Can't this be done if the PCV system is not working propely?
2. in the images you posted, I can see you blocked the intake manifold's port. and PCV port.
where did yo connect the KN filter too?

If they truly tested your pcv system and it's working normally, I would block off the front port and run a dump tube from the rear to a 1" breather filter. You may have to put it back to stock for local emissions, but this has been my fix for the oil in the intake. Only vapor comes out of this thing...

What are the symptoms? What is happening with your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmetanes

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I might have 2 problems
1. My 2012 Golf GTI behaived strange about 1.5 months ago. The car hesitated once or twice and that was it. Since then it works fine.
2 weeks later same thing happened and check engine light came on. Then worked fine since then for 2 more weeks.

I cleared the code and 2 weeks later MIL Light came back on and car hesitated for a minute and that was it.

Code seen is P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1)

I was asked to check the PCV by pulling the dipstick, when I pull it there is no change in rpm at idle. which is a sign of a bad PCV.
I removed and instpected the diaphragm on top of the PCV and found it to be OK.
So I'm not sure if the PCV is broken or not. but I would still like to bypass it as if it fails it can destroy the rear engine seal which costs alot of money to fix. At least this is what I've been reading in forums.

Regarding bank 1 too rich, I was told it might be the HPFH.

I really do not know where to start from.

PLease advice.
Isn't it always a good idea to bypass the PCV to decrease the carbon in the intake manifold? IF yes, is there a clear how to using zrickety's method? Main question is which pipe / exit is the K&N filter?

Laimface

Ready to race!
I think I might have 2 problems
1. My 2012 Golf GTI behaived strange about 1.5 months ago. The car hesitated once or twice and that was it. Since then it works fine.
2 weeks later same thing happened and check engine light came on. Then worked fine since then for 2 more weeks.

I cleared the code and 2 weeks later MIL Light came back on and car hesitated for a minute and that was it.

Code seen is P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1)

I was asked to check the PCV by pulling the dipstick, when I pull it there is no change in rpm at idle. which is a sign of a bad PCV.
I removed and instpected the diaphragm on top of the PCV and found it to be OK.
So I'm not sure if the PCV is broken or not. but I would still like to bypass it as if it fails it can destroy the rear engine seal which costs alot of money to fix. At least this is what I've been reading in forums.

Regarding bank 1 too rich, I was told it might be the HPFH.

I really do not know where to start from.

PLease advice.
Isn't it always a good idea to bypass the PCV to decrease the carbon in the intake manifold? IF yes, is there a clear how to using zrickety's method? Main question is which pipe / exit is the K&N filter?

It isn't just the diaphragm that fails, there's also a check valve that leaks. Just buy a new one as it's most likely failed. I picked mine up for £75 from the local dealer.

kdub808

Ready to race!
Well, I called APR and the tech provided no help. He said they have never heard of this problem, and smoking is all part of a direct injected turbo engine. Basically the same verdict as the dealership.

I'm convinced that it has to be the volume of oil going into the turbo and manifold from blow-by. I think it's correct to assume that during high-G cornering the oil sloshes to one side of the motor and is drawn into the PCV. After doing some more testing I've noticed that the smoke at launch is worse after the car has sat for longer between a hard run and launch. It seems like there is a coating of oil sent to the intake tubing and turbo during the hard driving, then that settles into the turbo while the car sits, then it is blown into the exhaust in volume on launch.

Since APR and Volkswagen have no information, does anyone else have an idea how to solve this issue?

Some of my thoughts are:

--Catch Can, even though the can will fill quickly with the volume of oil picked up.

--Change in oil viscosity for track days so it is "heavier" and more easily separated from air.

--Higher end in-line air/oil separators between both the PCV and manifold, and between the PCV and intake tubing.

--Running a slash cut or dump tube system. I think the slash cut will make the smoking worse because all of the oil currently created by blow-by would still be dumped into the exhaust, but you would be adding the volume from the manifold side. I doubt the dump tube option would not pass tech at most tracks.

The oil starvation problem is a whole different issue, and I can't really spend $1300 on a sump system. I would address this by overfilling slightly, but that would only make the smoke issue worse.

Like XGC75, I fear for the health of my turbo and valves.

I have a MK7 Golf R and this is happening to me too. I posted this over in the MK7 forum and will probably post it on the MK7 R forums as well to document the issue and raise awareness.

Here is a video from my rear dash cam. This has happened to me several times but this is the worst version. Usually it's much smaller puffs of smoke.

https://youtu.be/qEIqh7M_Ock

Sound removed due to lots of swearing. At least If I ever have to evade the cops I know what to do. [emoji6].

I have a different theory than most...

*DISCLAIMER : I am not a mechanic... just an enthusiast with some info and thoughts I wanted to share. This is simply my arm chair theory based on my observations. Maybe you guys could help shed more light.

I believe it's possible the white smoke could be caused from unburnt fuel from a faulty injector or bad spark. Not the PCV. The unburnt liquid fuel gets ejected on the exhaust stroke into the hot side of the turbo and catalyst where it ignites.

The reasons I suspect this are as follows...

1. Smoke is NOT blue-ish like oil smoke would be, it is plain white,

2. Smells nothing like burning oil, it actually smells like firecrackers (I have read this is what emissions smell like on a car that is running beyond rich. AKA, lots of unburnt fuel hitting the cat and igniting).

3. It does NOT smell sweet like coolant burning up in the cylinder would, so, not a cracked head / blown gasket.

4. My oil during the last oil change smelled heavily of gas. The unburnt fuel could be spilling down the cylinder walls and mixing with the oil.

5. One more possible clue that points to unburnt fuel is I have got a low oil pressure warning several times in the past week, it may be possible the fuel is thinning out the oil and lowering the pressure.

Car is at the dealer now, I'll let you know what they say. (I'll also show them this thread)

It almost always happens when I am WOT, 2nd to 3rd gear, and then get off throttle and on to the brakes hard-ish, and upshift. Generally after a turn, but not always. Its like the injector stays WOT for a second or two too long and since your off throttle there is not enough O2 for it to burn all the fuel. Or maybe it doesn't ignite at all, IDK.

Its's possible oil overwhelms the PCV, but my argument against this is that I have a catch can and it does not fill up after these smoke episodes like I have been told it should. (unless the breather line and can are not part of the equation and oil is dumped into the intake somewhere else?). But I have been told the cans will fill up completely during track days and the smoke will occur as the can is overflowing with oil, (or immediately if you don't have one). My car is basically stock, I don't even drive it that hard, I have only about a table spoon of oil in my CC at any given time, but I still get white smoke despite the fact that the catch Cann could hold about two more cups of oil.

Last edited:

CiHKAL1

Ready to race!
I have a MK7 Golf R and this is happening to me too. I posted this over in the MK7 forum and will probably post it on the MK7 R forums as well to document the issue and raise awareness.

Here is a video from my rear dash cam. This has happened to me several times but this is the worst version. Usually it's much smaller puffs of smoke.

https://youtu.be/qEIqh7M_Ock

Sound removed due to lots of swearing. At least If I ever have to evade the cops I know what to do. [emoji6].

I have a different theory than most...

*DISCLAIMER : I am not a mechanic... just an enthusiast with some info and thoughts I wanted to share. This is simply my arm chair theory based on my observations. Maybe you guys could help shed more light.

I believe it's possible the white smoke could be caused from unburnt fuel from a faulty injector or bad spark. Not the PCV. The unburnt liquid fuel gets ejected on the exhaust stroke into the hot side of the turbo and catalyst where it ignites.

The reasons I suspect this are as follows...

1. Smoke is NOT blue-ish like oil smoke would be, it is plain white,

2. Smells nothing like burning oil, it actually smells like firecrackers (I have read this is what emissions smell like on a car that is running beyond rich. AKA, lots of unburnt fuel hitting the cat and igniting).

3. It does NOT smell sweet like coolant burning up in the cylinder would, so, not a cracked head / blown gasket.

4. My oil during the last oil change smelled heavily of gas. The unburnt fuel could be spilling down the cylinder walls and mixing with the oil.

5. One more possible clue that points to unburnt fuel is I have got a low oil pressure warning several times in the past week, it may be possible the fuel is thinning out the oil and lowering the pressure.

Car is at the dealer now, I'll let you know what they say. (I'll also show them this thread)

It almost always happens when I am WOT, 2nd to 3rd gear, and then get off throttle and on to the brakes hard-ish, and upshift. Generally after a turn, but not always. Its like the injector stays WOT for a second or two too long and since your off throttle there is not enough O2 for it to burn all the fuel. Or maybe it doesn't ignite at all, IDK.

Its's possible oil overwhelms the PCV, but my argument against this is that I have a catch can and it does not fill up after these smoke episodes like I have been told it should. (unless the breather line and can are not part of the equation and oil is dumped into the intake somewhere else?). But I have been told the cans will fill up completely during track days and the smoke will occur as the can is overflowing with oil, (or immediately if you don't have one). My car is basically stock, I don't even drive it that hard, I have only about a table spoon of oil in my CC at any given time, but I still get white smoke despite the fact that the catch Cann could hold about two more cups of oil.

Any verdict with your car? I suspect a similar issue with my K04 MK6.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

kdub808

Ready to race!
Any verdict with your car? I suspect a similar issue with my K04 MK6.

Not yet. Dealer says they took it out and tested it. Dash cam show otherwise. They did check the oil pressure at idle which is ok (thank God), but the smoke screen episode happened again. Car ran rough for a minute while the substance Burned off the lambda sensor, but as I pulled away there was a nasty sound or two from the engine. Bearing related? Knock? IDK. Engine is running fine and there is no bearing chatter.

I need to take it back in. They are going to change the oil pressure sensor at least.

CiHKAL1

Ready to race!
Not yet. Dealer says they took it out and tested it. Dash cam show otherwise. They did check the oil pressure at idle which is ok (thank God), but the smoke screen episode happened again. Car ran rough for a minute while the substance Burned off the lambda sensor, but as I pulled away there was a nasty sound or two from the engine. Bearing related? Knock? IDK. Engine is running fine and there is no bearing chatter.

I need to take it back in. They are going to change the oil pressure sensor at least.

Strange, bummer your issue isn't fixed yet. Hopefully you get resolution soon.

kdub808

Ready to race!
Strange, bummer your issue isn't fixed yet. Hopefully you get resolution soon.

It is a bummer. I have like 10 mods waiting to happen and my hands are tied because of this stupidity. [emoji35] I don't want to install things in a car who's engine might get dismantled.

Why always me? FML [emoji31] this is why I can't have nice things.

Thanks man. ??