GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Just gonna be honest here. It's hard to tell. Really...APR felt like a torque monster when it wasn't surging. With the mods in my sig I was breaking traction in third slightly. I basically never thought about stomping on it in 1st or 2nd.

Now with Strat I don't think I've broken traction in third once. Whether or not that's because Strat puts out less power I don't know. It could just be because of how Strat modulates the power, and it's also much easier to modulate the power with the throttle. You stomp on it and it pulls strong, but it's not so crazy that traction is just barely breaking lose throughout the rpms like it would with APR. The weather could also be a factor for that too though, it's 95 degrees now and I haven't been able to run my strat tune in cooler weather yet.

I step on it in 1st and 2nd more than I used to since I can punch it a little more and give it the amount of throttle I want to without having the car go balls to the wall.

These aren't really the best metrics to go by as I really only have my butt dyno and my feelings though.

I'm still peaking at 22-23ish psi and holding good numbers. On top of that I know a little more about what I should be watching for thanks to Strat. My knock retard has the occasional ignition correction up to -0.75 which is still well within line and my long term fuel trims have been between .97-1.03 which is also right where it should be. I still need to change one of my gauges to watch AFR so I can make sure that checks out where it should. It's a good feeling being able to see that the car is running well, and it's an even better feeling when you stomp on it.

So ya, it's kinda hard to tell. I think Strat pulls really good, but the smoothness is what takes above and beyond. You stomp on the gas and its just smooth all the way through, 0 surging or anything like that. When you need the power it's there for you right away, and not a couple seconds later when it's done surging. It's so much better at building and holding boost especially in lower rpms.

My driving habits have actually changed with the new tune. When I had APR I was always giving it a decent amount of throttle when I accelerated, it just felt like it drove better that way to me. If I gave it too much throttle it was definitely gonna surge, and if you didn't give it very much throttle something just felt off. With Strat it doesn't matter, the car just drives like it should no matter how much throttle you're giving it. It drives like a stock car would, but with a lot more power.

Even my shifting got better. I swear APR is so surgey that it was effecting my shifts. It's smoother now, so I don't know how else to explain that one. Maybe that just has to do with the sensitive throttle I mentioned earlier today. I'm sure a lot of you with APR know about this one. You're sitting at a stop sign/light and you start to accelerate but as soon as you just barely touch the throttle the car is trying to take off like you just floored it for a quick second. Now with strat that doesn't happen at all. I can ease into the pedal so much easier, it's actually effortless even though I have a single mass flywheel. I actually thought my flywheel was the thing giving me issues when I had APR.

The overall driving experience is so much better now that I have strat. There's things about my car that I've been frustrated with and I used to think it was a piece of hardware I changed that was causing it, but after getting rid of APR it's pretty clear it was the tune that was giving me so many issues. It's possibly that I've lost some power, but I feel like any power I may have lost is negligible, and then add to the fact that the car is a much better DD than it's been in years and I couldn't be happier.

The entire experience with Strat has just been amazing. Everything just feels so much more personal. They build you a tune based on your mods, then they give you a free MAF calibration and send you a revised tune based on your logs. I paid $50 for extra data log refinement and just got my refined tune last night. I still need to do more driving, but I feel like the new tune is even better than the first one. The emails they send you explain everything, they tell you what to look for and what the numbers should be at. When I got an email with my refined tune they had left me some notes about what they saw on my logs. They basically said everything looked good, it was where it was supposed to be, and the only changes they made to my new tune was they advanced the timing for extra power. I feel like I've actually learned something since I bought my cobb. Instead of just being off on my own hoping everything is running correct I have Stratified working with me telling me everything is good, and I can verify it myself with the cobb AP. I'm happy as hell with their service so far.

There's also the crackles. I've been enjoying them a lot.

I don't really mean to shit all over APR in an APR thread, but that's just how bad my tune felt. I just want people to know the grass is indeed greener on the other side. I was willing to bet $710 on a tune that it would fix my issues and it's a bet I won. If you're happy with APR that's great, but if you've read through all of this and it sounds all too familiar then stop wasting your time and money trying to fix how it runs with APR because it's the tune causing all your issues. I'd never recommend APR to anybody at this point.

I agree, it sucks cause Im in collage and i cant really afford to shell out $700 for a new tune, im hoping apr customer service actually gives a crap about us and they refine thier tune's for the tsi, also for the love of god, add crackles to make my car cool :D

kerp

Ready to race!
I agree, it sucks cause Im in collage and i cant really afford to shell out $700 for a new tune, im hoping apr customer service actually gives a crap about us and they refine thier tune's for the tsi, also for the love of god, add crackles to make my car cool :D

I'd be down for some rice krispies...

DAV0320

Passed Driver's Ed
I switched to UNI when i had issues with v2.1 and I got fed up waiting for the V2.4 to release. Before the v2.1 I was v1.2 since 2012 so I was annoyed at the issues I experenced with the "updated" version. Even switched in Stock mode the car still drove like ass. I put up with it for 3-4 months before I finally broke.

It was a tough pill to swallow letting go of those funds for another tune, however in the end it was worth it to me. Just to have stock-like drivabilty full time again without the quirkiness that APR's tune caused was enough. Uniconnect is a sweet function too, 15 mins in my garage and the tune is switched to whatever I want. I did miss the TQ that the APR tune had compared to UNI, however the UNI pulls so linear, smooth and seems endless, it's almost scary.
I also have the APR TCU stage 1 tune and no issues between the two tunes playing nicely with one another.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
I'm so tempted to get the access port and go with the stratified tune or go with uni.
The surging and occasional rough shifts in 1st (dsg) are annoying me.

Sent from my Pixel

Chatchie

Ready to race!
If I had a GTI I'd be on COBB in a second. Unfortunately I can't get an access port in my CC.

If COBB ever decides to really start getting thier AP in the full VW line up APR and UNI are gonna have problems.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Noodle1

Ready to race!
yeah, i really hate when big companies just disregard their previous customers. Im not sure but it seems as if apr dosent care too much about us mk6 guys and they are just focused on the newer vw audi cars

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
yeah, i really hate when big companies just disregard their previous customers. Im not sure but it seems as if apr dosent care too much about us mk6 guys and they are just focused on the newer vw audi cars

They gave us an update to the tune. What more do you want? They aren't going to make any money on a free updated tune. Obviously their main focus is on new products, that's how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noodle1

Ready to race!
They gave us an update to the tune. What more do you want? They aren't going to make any money on a free updated tune. Obviously their main focus is on new products, that's how it works.

I would pay for crackles and to have a tune be consistent, not to say my tune feels bad, YET...

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I would pay for crackles and to have a tune be consistent, not to say my tune feels bad, YET...

Catless downpipe. Start there. Then just buy a Cobb accessory and pay for a protune. No complaints here.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Catless downpipe. Start there. Then just buy a Cobb accessory and pay for a protune. No complaints here.

Pretty sure you meant acessport? Like I said before, I'm a broke ass collage student and I cant really spend another $700. Even if I was loaded with cash, it would be really shitty to have to spend/waste all this money for a different tune. All i'm saying is that Apr, the reputable company that they are, should take a step back to ensure customers are happy for the most part. Id imagine most of you guys will be getting mk7's or mk8's whatever yada yada. To my understanding, Apr were the "Euro Guys to go to", Im not sure about you but if my drivability starts going downhill and all the other problems, I wont be very happy and I dont know if ill go down the apr route when i upgrade. Just my 2 cents though

tofuD01

Ready to race!
Just fitted the Red 'R8' coilpacks and BKR7EIX spark plugs gapped at approx 0.025" and it has pretty much got rid of the jerky gear change behavior and the low rpm jerks at first gear. (Car warm and cold)

Enjoying the car a bit more now. (done 20 miles so far)

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
i still have the APR V1.2 in my GTI; i was going to get the upgrade done this spring after getting my car out of storage, but now that i reading and hearing all these complaints from others about V2.4 it's got me a little bit concerned.

i have the multi tune version so if i was gonna get the update i'd be getting: stock, 91H, 93H and Valet as those are the options i have now plus i'd be getting the no lift shift.

should I or shouldn't I get the update??

thx.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Hold off^^

The tune adapts like garbage over time and there are way more options and features with the flash at home tuners like Cobb.

I'm contemplating getting an AP this winter while they're on sale...

EDIT: misread your post, I thought you were stock looking to get a tune for the first time.

Get the update as long as you still fall under the requirements to get it free, it's still a hell of a lot stronger then 1.2.

Driveability is good at first but will get worse over time, as does the rev hang.

Last edited:

NNWGB6

Passed Driver's Ed
Damn this tune still has problems?
I'm sure they'll find time to fix this after they design a new intake; it's not like they don't have your money already. Did I miss the people who post shit like it's a free update they didn't have to do this for you guys. You mean they didn't have to release a tune with problems? Oh,okay.