GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New car and new transmission driving

Randum

Go Kart Champion
So I was talking to a friend about the "Launch Control" feature, I tried it out last night without mashing the pedal, just a 2000rpm, and go! Very cool. He mentioned you should never do this on a new car due to the transmission slipping?

Now I am obviously not driving like a mad man, but of course I've tried out the 'S' mode, and manual shifting.

Whats the theory behind this? And should I just not drive fast for a 1000 miles?

I feel like I ask questions on this board every hour...hopefully I can start answering them!!'

EDIT: Found a ton of threads dedicated to this BREAK IN period, but specifically this "launch control" feature being used at 300 miles- my friend basically is convienced I could have costed the life of my car due to using this prior to 1000 miles! Everything I can gather is: Use the car at variable speeds for first 1000 without prolonged red lining/stomping the gas or any cruise control or long stale speeded trips. I commute so my drive requires around 20-35min of constant highway driving-so this can damage the car??? Just find it odd....

Last edited:

taylor21

Ready to race!
All that info seems to be a good way to do it. Dont worry about the launch control thing, if It makes you feel better I launched and spun my tires the first day I got it with only 100 miles on it. It was stupid to do it but my car is perfect. I'm at 3500 miles and the car has never ran better

Randum

Go Kart Champion
All that info seems to be a good way to do it. Dont worry about the launch control thing, if It makes you feel better I launched and spun my tires the first day I got it with only 100 miles on it. It was stupid to do it but my car is perfect. I'm at 3500 miles and the car has never ran better

lol thanks, yeah I definitely didn't red line it, but still makes me worried-all these theories on how to drive the first 1k miles... yikes! I don't drive with a heavy foot as it is, but I would find it hard to believe even if you red lined a car from the start you could potentially screw the car up so bad it would cause it to act/last significantly worse than if you didn't at all. Don't they test the engines before leaving the factory?

Drive a car hard= wont last long
Conservative = little longer

Seems like a simple concept to me.

taylor21

Ready to race!
lol thanks, yeah I definitely didn't red line it, but still makes me worried-all these theories on how to drive the first 1k miles... yikes! I don't drive with a heavy foot as it is, but I would find it hard to believe even if you red lined a car from the start you could potentially screw the car up so bad it would cause it to act/last significantly worse than if you didn't at all. Don't they test the engines before leaving the factory?

Drive a car hard= wont last long
Conservative = little longer

Seems like a simple concept to me.
yeah they do test the car for like 8 miles i read somewhere. im sure you would be fine if you redline every once in a while. it is a car after all

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
He may be confused with the GTR, using the launch control on it will void the warranty, and can break the tranny if you use it before it's broken in properly haha.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
If you need to drive long distances at constant highway speeds, just try to drop down slow for a bit, then accelerate back up to cruising speed. Use thepaddles to drop down to 5 and 4 occasionally. Should be fine.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I read the manual instructions, just varying the speeds and RPMs at this point until 600 then I'll start pushing it a bit more. Friend of mine was convienced I fried it if I rev'd it at all.