GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sudden voltage loss

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
Im currently across the country while my car is on the other coast. My wife called me this morning saying the car wouldnt start, yada yada, just about every CEL was on, starter wasnt turning just clicking, obviously low voltage, wouldnt jump start. VW had road side assistance come take it to the dealership and they recharged the battery. Im a mechanic myself by trade, not much of cars as much as military grade turbo diesels but I probably would have verified voltage to and from the alternator at least. Are there any previous problems people have had with past generation VW's. Id hate to think this is the trend on a 2010 VW just 3k miles into owning it. Anybody ever have problems with the alternator or any other electrical gripes?

s2kguy

Ready to race!
Is it possible the parking lights or interior lights were left on in your absence? The dealer should have checked the charging status and for any dead battery cells.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
Not being able to jump start it points to a dead cell or internal short circuit. Shlouldn't be able to recharge it if shorted and a dead cell should keep it from reading 12V.

Battery problems not caused by outside components are not that rare, could have just got a marginal one.