GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trade in for an MK7 or go Ko4?

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed
Which would you guys do? Not thinking about actually doing it anytime soon, but the thought crossed my mind.

I know the mk7 has the EA888 turbo which is a huge step up from the ko3 our mk6's have and produces better numbers and top end, which makes the thought of trading my mk6 in appealing.

But on that note, why not just upgrade the turbo in our mk6 to a ko4 for 3k and save $10 grand?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I'd say go with the k04. You'll have plenty of money left over to spend on mods that will make it a much more fun car than a stock mk7.

dude save the money go k04. Dont be lured into wasteful consumerism. pay off your car and break it THEN get a new one lol

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Which would you guys do? Not thinking about actually doing it anytime soon, but the thought crossed my mind.

I know the mk7 has the EA888 turbo which is a huge step up from the ko3 our mk6's have and produces better numbers and top end, which makes the thought of trading my mk6 in appealing.

But on that note, why not just upgrade the turbo in our mk6 to a ko4 for 3k and save $10 grand?

Thoughts?

I went through the same consideration with my MKV GTI and I kept it, paid it off and went with K04 and mods. The nice part about keeping a car like this for the long haul is of course, you know the car, it is paid off and you have money to mod.

I have had mine for 9 years now, went to the track this last weekend and am still very happy with the choice I made.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've never really had the desire to switch to a mk7. I'd rather wait for a used mk8.

I might be starting to get the k04 bug though. :mad0259:

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed
dude save the money go k04. Dont be lured into wasteful consumerism. pay off your car and break it THEN get a new one lol

Yeah, that was my sentiment too, haha.

pdan

Ready to race!
Had this predicament as well. Well sorta, was looking at a new Mk7 or getting a really clean Mk6 and saving for mods. Glad i went the route I did, love the car so much. And will be looking at k04 light years before I think about getting a mk7

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never really had the desire to switch to a mk7. I'd rather wait for a used mk8.

I'm getting it bad. Don't get me wrong, stage II still makes me grin when I go WOT, but I'm getting used to it and am craving more. Still need to get an FMIC first though.

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm getting it bad. Don't get me wrong, stage II still makes me grin when I go WOT, but I'm getting used to it and am craving more. Still need to get an FMIC first though.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
I guess unless you really upgrade and get the performance package with LSD and what not then id say it's worth it. Then again having little to no payments is a bit easier on the wallet and allows you to focus more on the car. A lot of people are actually searching for the Mark6 generation to purchase instead of the 7 for some reason, maybe the look and style of it?

cevil203

Ready to race!
I'm so happy I saw this post. I've been mulling over jumping from my mk6 to an mk7 for the past few weeks and having the same dilemma. k04 would be so nice and I already have the upgraded clutch and downpipe necessary, just need the k04, intercooler and installation. Would save a ton of money. I think one of the bigger things holding me back is that I can't get a mk7 with plaid interior, sunroof and xenons. I know k04 will give me y fix though, so i'll probably make that upgrade in the next 12 months. I'm sitting stage 2 at 68,000 miles.

Joveen

Ready to race!
Get k04 then buy the mk8 when its in year 3 when all the bugs have been fixed and good amount of mods have been made.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

pdan

Ready to race!
I guess unless you really upgrade and get the performance package with LSD and what not then id say it's worth it. Then again having little to no payments is a bit easier on the wallet and allows you to focus more on the car. A lot of people are actually searching for the Mark6 generation to purchase instead of the 7 for some reason, maybe the look and style of it?

I specifically searched for a MK6 instead of a mk7 for the looks partly. I think with the xenons and led tails it looks better. Personal opinion

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
For me there's value in the feeling of security that owning my car outright provides, the enjoyment of upgrading my car with no worries about warranty or resale value, and I love it when people look at the condition my car is in and ask "it has how many miles on it????"

I think I'd have to come at least $15k out of pocket to upgrade to a base Mk7. It is certainly a very nice car, but I still really enjoy my Mk6 and for $15k I can turn my car on to an amazing weekend track car that's still awesome for my daily drive while having money left-over for a new engine should I actually ever need it.