GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

tturbocar

Passed Driver's Ed

Had this happen to me yesterday. Did a chain about two months ago and ran fine and fast then it all the sudden it died [emoji17] someone said it’s the kiss of death I really hope it didn’t jump timing. Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chegelheimer

I have a 2013 GTI, 77k right now. I’m not sure if the build date is after 9/12 will look tomorrow but even if it is after, is it suggested to still change it as preventative maintenance? Cheers n thanks guys.

CHerna

Ready to race!
I have a 2013 GTI, 77k right now. I’m not sure if the build date is after 9/12 will look tomorrow but even if it is after, is it suggested to still change it as preventative maintenance? Cheers n thanks guys.

a 2013 should be in the clear. We can surmise that the tensioner was revised during the 2012 model year. Mine is a '12 and it has the revised version. You can always get in there and verify yourself for peace of mind.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
How the hell does a OBD2 port module measure timing chain stretch when the chain is a mechanical part? Please enlighten us all.

I think this has been pretty well covered previously in this thread but I will appease you:

You can measure the camshaft phase position at idle (block 093) using vagcom or OBD2. This number shows how far the camshaft angle is from what the car expects. If this number is out of a certain tolerance (-4 to 4) it is an indication that the camshaft timing chain has stretched or jumped a tooth.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Figured I'd post this here...my GTI (Build date 12/11) had the updated chain tensioner from the factory, just under 135k miles, and on 02/14 my car shutoff under light throttle and threw a P0341 - Cam position sensor. I had the car towed to the dealership as a precaution but I was almost 100% certain I needed a new cam position sensor and it wasn't a timing issue.

It was a timing issue. The service tech tested the camshaft sensor/signal and it was operating as it should. After a 3 hour partial teardown, compression test, and diagnosis...the tensioner did not fail but the chain was stretched to the point it started causing a timing issue. Long story short...everything related to the timing needs to be replaced (chains, guides, tensioner,), along with the intake camshaft which alone is almost a $760 part at the dealer - 06H109021K. The service tech recommended replacing the intake camshaft while everything is apart because it's a variable timing camshaft and could've experienced wear on the lobes as the timing came out of spec over time and at 135k miles, it was better to be safe than sorry. Otherwise, there was a possibility the timing would still be off if the camshaft wasn't replaced.

I was at a loss and devastated but the VW service guy working on my car put me at ease because he definitely knew what he was talking about and answered all my questions. I knew that stretched timing chains were an issue on the TSI but I thought it came down to maintenance (I do my oil changes every 4k-5k since new). The stretched timing chain is such an issue that they keep all of the parts IN STOCK at the dealership. They also told me I was lucky to have the updated tensioner because that kept the timing from experiencing a complete failure with bent valves, requiring a complete top end rebuild.

Situation sucks but at least I have a loaner from the dealership for the next few days and don't have to pay for a rental (my work commute is 140 miles roundtrip each day). I'll post the end result of the service either Monday or Tuesday evening.