GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Intercooler

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
What kind of gains/improvements can you expect switching tot his intercooler? Searches I have done have yielded that it is similar tot he S3 IC but with different tank composition

Anyone have some information for me

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
As requested - Here are is some of the information we found when researching the Golf R intercooler:

4 more bars spaced more closely together

* More equivalent frontal surface area, as well as internal cross sectional area - improved flow capacity

The plate design inside the bars are more closely packed

* Improved efficiency due to greater rate of heat transfer

Smoother flowing end tank ports

* Improved flow characteristics compared to the S3 fittings which have steps in diameter causing turbulence.

Andy

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
My thought is that it is a VW part = I get no guff for having it on there.

Any increases in power/top end, my friend has a div valve and a R intercooler and his car feels quite different than mine

Zillon

Go Kart Champion

Any increases in power/top end, my friend has a div valve and a R intercooler and his car feels quite different than mine

They're both VW parts.

If you can pick up a Golf R IC for cheap, go with the Golf R.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
As requested - Here are is some of the information we found when researching the Golf R intercooler:

4 more bars spaced more closely together

* More equivalent frontal surface area, as well as internal cross sectional area - improved flow capacity

The plate design inside the bars are more closely packed

* Improved efficiency due to greater rate of heat transfer

Smoother flowing end tank ports

* Improved flow characteristics compared to the S3 fittings which have steps in diameter causing turbulence.

Andy
Interesting, so you'd say the R IC should perform better than the S3 intercooler? Everyone suspected it was more efficient, but no real proof.

I'd still take the S3 due to the metal endcaps and better construction.
It's also heavier as a result.

Curious if meth + R IC is a winner. But then again, you see folks with a Golf R upgrading.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I'm pretty much just looking at better flow colling and heat transfer correct?

Just trying to get an idea if it will improve what I'm putting down at all, my Subarus saw power gains from IC's maybe I dont fully understand it haha

They are indeed both VW/Audi part numbers

Here is the S3 http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/View/1K0-145-803-P/0/39072

and Here is the Golf R

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vi...ssoc/1K0-145-803-BP/1K0-145-803-BE/3585/39070

Please feel free to take a look at the pictures for the design of the tanks. Hope this helps

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
You can make more power, but the case here is more for repeated power. As you may know, an ideal gas undergoing adiabatic compression will heat up significantly (as the turbo compresses the air). This reduces the density, so the intercooler, as the name implies, cools down this air in part to increase its density. That's probably why the Subies could make more power with an IC.

Now it is true that over time an IC can get hotter and hotter from repeated pulls, and that's primarily what we are considered with in the GTI. Eventually we suffer from heat soak, and the ECU cuts a ton of boost and power to reduce the temperature of the air going into the intake manifold. Even before heat soak, you can lose considerable power just because of the lesser density of the hot air.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
I had the S3 IC on my GTI and loved it. Does it give you "more" power? No. What it does do is allow you to use more of the power you are making for longer, especially in hotter climates where heat soak will rob you of power quicker. The IC is not something I have ever heard of VW pitching a fit over, especially ones in the stock location. I prefer the S3 with metal ends vs the plastic R IC but other than that they are virtually the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you comment anymore on the differences and which may be better?

Im sorry I dont have any infor on performance of one VS the other. I dont know if anyone has done dyno testing to provide such info. The aluminum tanks are obviously higher quality and base on the design they appear like they may flow better. That is just my opinion though,

fredf

Go Kart Champion
To answer one of your questions: NO. You are not going to get any more power. Period.

You are, however, going to lose less power under certain conditions.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Personally I think the I/C on the GTI/R is one of VW's Big Time F* Ups. What rocket scientist that works for VW decided to put an air to air I/C in between 2 other heat displacing radiators??? STUPID!!

Personally only I/C I think that is worth a S*it aftermarket wise is the Nuespeed Front Mount. Its actually A FRONT MOUNT not just another bigger I/C sandwiched in between 2 other heat sources.

Will improvements be made with an S3 or others sandwiched in between? Yes. But get your car on the track and I am sure heat soak will sit in allot quicker than the Nuespeed one.

IMO the Nuespeed one just makes more sense.

VW what were you thinking??? :mad0259:

Jeff