GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying mk6 with high mileage?

Brad09

Ready to race!
I put 100k on my mkv gti (tsi) before it was totaled, and it ran just as good as it did at 30k when I bought it. So I'm looking to move up to an mk6 and found a 2010 with just under 90k. Because of the miles it's closer to my price range, but should I be concerned about buying one with this many miles? It's completely stock, which makes me feel better. So technically it would be a newer car with fewer miles than my last one. Any advice is appreciated.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
The biggest thing is to make sure the maintenance was all done. DSG service (if it has one), oil changes, coil packs, spark plugs, etc all can be a problem at that mileage if they weren't done according to schedule.

If everything checked out and the car drove well; I would have no problem personally with that kind of mileage, but then again I put about 40k a year on my car so I am more used to it.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Glad to see there are others who drive like me (40k+ annually)

I agree, mk6 GTI is a well built car. If taken care of it will last a long time, even with the occasional thrashing. As long as the maintenance was done on time I wouldn't be scared of a high mileage GTI

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
just have some money set aside for unexpected repairs....

i bought my GTI at 73k miles. the carfax had some things done under warranty (water pump and intake manifold), and oil changes were done religiously on time. after 2 months of ownership coil packs gave out. i replaced all of them. plus spark plugs. the car kept misfiring, so then i had to get all fuel injectors replaced (thankfully there was an extended warranty, so VW paid for that). now my engine is making crazy knocking sounds and it's at the shop.

all that, in under a year, and 5k miles driven.

i love my car but the cost per mile for me has been ridiculous.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I have over 90k on my 2012, purchased new with 99 test miles on it. Besides intake manifold, MAF sensor and water pump replacements, all has been good. You hear more people having issues on their cars with lower miles.

I drive to/from work about 60 miles round trip Monday through Friday. If I wanted to only drive it on the weekends or in sunny weather, I would have bought something else besides a VW.

Taiso0019

Ready to race!
Word of advice check with local tuners to see if its 'flashed' before you buy it (that is if they're willing to share the info with you). Many members (myself included) have found out it was tuned after having the car for a few weeks. If it was done in the years prior to port flashing I would say pass on it if you don't plan on setting a fair bit money aside for repairs. Not a common occurrence but your ECM could die due to improper sealing. Just something to look out for imo but not a total deal breaker for a clean high mileage car.

zrickety

The Fixer
I wouldn't be afraid of 90k. Drive the car, look it over real good, negotiate a deal.

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
i have almost 145k miles, and have been stage 2 for almost half of those.

no issues w/ preventative maintenance.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
i have almost 145k miles, and have been stage 2 for almost half of those.

no issues w/ preventative maintenance.

thats awesome. good to hear

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I put 100k on my mkv gti (tsi) before it was totaled, and it ran just as good as it did at 30k when I bought it. So I'm looking to move up to an mk6 and found a 2010 with just under 90k. Because of the miles it's closer to my price range, but should I be concerned about buying one with this many miles? It's completely stock, which makes me feel better. So technically it would be a newer car with fewer miles than my last one. Any advice is appreciated.

i think youll have pretty much the same experience with the mk6. check to see if carbon cleaning and dsg flush have been done, otherwise dont worry about it and dont forget to drive it hard so it stays healthy!