GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior noises while turning and going over bumps?

ocramida

Dealing with creaks and rattles is fairly difficult, especially when your mating materials together with certain gap tolerances. Throw in heat and cold cycling and those materials expand and contract as well as move. Hunting down creaks and rattles is expensive. Personally I find my R to be pretty tight. I've also heard the noise when the body twists at low speeds. It doesn't happen very often so I don't worry about it. It's also been very cold around here so I'm wondering if it will change once the spring arrives. My Mazdas were much noiser than the R. And that was within miles of taking it off the lot. I used to spend hours tracking down noises and adding all kinds of isolating material to stop the noise. But ultimately the noise returned.

Oh and taking apart the interior only complicates issues. The fasteners and tabs aren't designed for repeatedly removing. I always think seriously about how much futzing I want to do, because I know those parts probably won't seat the exact same way they did in the factory under climate-controlled conditions. IMO

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
Dealing with creaks and rattles is fairly difficult, especially when your mating materials together with certain gap tolerances. Throw in heat and cold cycling and those materials expand and contract as well as move. Hunting down creaks and rattles is expensive. Personally I find my R to be pretty tight. I've also heard the noise when the body twists at low speeds. It doesn't happen very often so I don't worry about it. It's also been very cold around here so I'm wondering if it will change once the spring arrives. My Mazdas were much noiser than the R. And that was within miles of taking it off the lot. I used to spend hours tracking down noises and adding all kinds of isolating material to stop the noise. But ultimately the noise returned.

Oh and taking apart the interior only complicates issues. The fasteners and tabs aren't designed for repeatedly removing. I always think seriously about how much futzing I want to do, because I know those parts probably won't seat the exact same way they did in the factory under climate-controlled conditions. IMO

It's safe to say base on my experience and this thread that going over speed bumps at a angle will cause the car to twist and cause creaking. It's just how the car's designed I guess. Someone mentioned a mid strut bar can help . I'm not sure how badly I want the creaking to go away if I have to spend money to put in a strut bar. The creaking noise for me almost seems to be like the leather is rubbing against something. I'm going to try a few things this weekend and then i'm going to give up. Drive with the seats down , drive with 2 passengers in the back while having them listen to where the creaks are coming from . Fiddle with the back seatbelts to make sure they are not rubbing against something.

In Arizona it's extremely hot but lately we've been getting some under 40 degree which is extremely enough to cause the car to expand and I noticed the creaking noise increases.

I gave ocramida's thread some serious thought and i'm not going to spend much time tracking it down if the end result is unbeatable. I'm just gonna have my radio on :).

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
I just picked up my Golf R last friday, have 200km on it. Notice a rattle sound coming from the sunroof switch area.. I can't believe it, on a brand new car. Usually going over rough roads.

Believe me, alot of cars have this issue while going over rough roads. Funny enough the brand new cheaper cars don't do this! but later on everything starts becoming loose.

My 2011 honda civic ex was solid and didn't make any noises . Brand new 350z , Maximo , Altima , VW Golf R was all making some noises when going over rough road . I've found that the rubber drawer liner really helps alot!. It's cheap and easy enough to run and stuff in places where rattle noises occur. you can also do plasti Dip which is a rubberized spray. IN my older cars I took off the eye glass case and sprayed it with rubber liner to prevent noises.

You can also get sugru . It's a UK based company who sells small packets of mold-able rubber. This stuff is pretty amazing. It comes in different colors , it like clay at first but dries as rubber which is extremely heat and cold resistant . I got a pack of it when I saw the article on Life hacker. I made a few cool things with it . there's a whole website of people posting up their creative ideas on how they use this moldable rubber stuff and turn it into some good enhancements.

tavorh

Ready to race!
How did you take the speed bump? Diagonally?
When I go up driveways and take speed bumps diagonally, I can hear the creaking a bit. You may be hearing this. IDK?

I am having this same noise when car goes over uneven surfaces diagonally like pulling into a driveway diagonally. Seems like it a flex noise coming from the doors. It does not happen that much when it is not diagonally.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

9V7W3

Ready to race!
I've read quite a few threads on this and everyone has completely different opinions but I've read about other parts causing it such as Pillars and door panels.. Personally I have 85K miles on my R, I abuse the crap out of it in NYC every day, and at the track. I've hit potholes so hard on the highway in the winters that I've blown two tires and bent two rims at the same time. When I have the room to be at full boost, I'm at full boost haha. The only squeak or sound I've ever heard is in the summer when it's really hot and I have the A/C kicking and I go over a bump at a certain angle as mentioned. For me it was never worth hunting it down. We don't drive bently's, we drive a fairly inexpensive (when it comes to sports cars) but fairly well built and solid tiny AWD BEAST.. I love the car and consider it very solid and have learned to live with it. Noises like that don't bother me anymore. As some one put it to me once "race car sounds"

bebersol

Ready to race!
I am having this same noise when car goes over uneven surfaces diagonally like pulling into a driveway diagonally. Seems like it a flex noise coming from the doors. It does not happen that much when it is not diagonally.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Install a x brace, I did and it stopped the creaking

mattkosem1

Ready to race!