GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Complete AWD system

llxndxll

I'm debating between few cars right now. In all honesty, I want a 2013 Golf R. However, I do have a issue that needs to be addressed since the dealer has no clue on it.

I have heard (maybe false), that the R is essentially an FWD system and when it does detect a slip, it goes ahead and sends the power to the rear wheel making it an AWD system.

Now I maybe wrong, however, if that is true, is there anything (using VAGCOM) or replacing an ECU etc. that would allow the car to be AWD all the time?

LastRinATX

You are correct.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/product_haldex.html

I'm debating between few cars right now. In all honesty, I want a 2013 Golf R. However, I do have a issue that needs to be addressed since the dealer has no clue on it.

I have heard (maybe false), that the R is essentially an FWD system and when it does detect a slip, it goes ahead and sends the power to the rear wheel making it an AWD system.

Now I maybe wrong, however, if that is true, is there anything (using VAGCOM) or replacing an ECU etc. that would allow the car to be AWD all the time?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002

Basically yes and no. It is a part time AWD system rather than a "full time" mechanical version. However; the parameters of torque transfer are adjusting constantly, so it isn't truly ever FWD only unless you get the Haldex upgrade posted above and run in Eco mode.

If you are a long time driver of Subarus, you'll likely notice the difference, but Gen IV Haldex works really well.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
At this point in time (market wise) it doesn't matter too much in which fashion you're AWD: Haldex, Quattro, S-awc, at the end of the day all system are trying to be bias to get a perfect blend bet. Efficiency and practicality.
If you're getting the R ,the Haldex is a must to get you a more "AWD" feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdefalco25

Ready to race!
I came from an STi that I had for 8 years and now on to a Golf R. Had the first snow a few weeks ago and I was rather impressed with snow tires how well the car handled. Was not getting out of control unless I took out the traction control.

llxndxll

I currently drive a FWD. Honestly, I'm a pretty good driver. Never had a issue with skidding even when my tires had almost no threads at one point. So I will feel nothing but improvement. However, the reason I had asked was I see no point in putting too much money in engine if all I'm getting is FWD. Hence I'm going for a Golf R instead of GTI. I want toget good amount of power out of the engine.

I'll look into the link posted above to see more on it. Thanks for the replies.

Stinger

Ready to race!
I currently drive a FWD. Honestly, I'm a pretty good driver. Never had a issue with skidding even when my tires had almost no threads at one point. So I will feel nothing but improvement. However, the reason I had asked was I see no point in putting too much money in engine if all I'm getting is FWD. Hence I'm going for a Golf R instead of GTI. I want toget good amount of power out of the engine.

I'll look into the link posted above to see more on it. Thanks for the replies.

:bonk: what are you talking about?

llxndxll

:bonk: what are you talking about?

Haha. What I'm saying is, I wanted a car which I can mod to get great deal of power. However, I don't want to mod a car which is only a FWD. Hence I decided to buy a used Golf R instead of the MK7 GTI. I don't want to spend too much money on GTI considering it is only a FWD. Hence my selection was Golf R.

But with the issue of it not being a AWD all the time, I was debating. However, I will go ahead and check out Haldex and see if it is worth getting a Golf R.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
But with the issue of it not being a AWD all the time, I was debating. However, I will go ahead and check out Haldex and see if it is worth getting a Golf R.

The cars come with a Haldex system. Its a haldex controller you are interested in. And yes from what I hear it is a very worthwhile upgrade...one I am interested in too.

TyrolSport were able to get their car, in their words, "close to neutral" front-to-back with the sum total of all their mods. Granted, they modded the hell out of the car to get it there, but they did it -- and part of their modding involved a haldex controller.

07STitoR

Ready to race!
Def get the comp controller coming from the STI if you wanted to drift the car. The R will go massive understeer but if you stay on it you'll get over steer. I also really miss the 3 locking diffs as you have so much more traction in horrible weather but the R is actually pretty good in the snow.