GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please help!

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Decided to go for a food run and as I'm leaving the parking lot the car starts sputtering like its gong to die. No power at all. Car has 1k on new clutch and Apr stage 2. Just ran the car not 15 minutes before and was doing fine with a few 4th gear pulls. Car accelerates fine but won't build boost. If it gets any boost it bogs and sputters no check engine light. I don't understand what's going on please advise.

Last edited:

urbanevil

Ready to race!
Check pancake/top pipes, as well as the throttle body pipe. Had similar issues one time, and my throttle pipe wasn't clamped well enough, blew it right off lol.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Check pancake/top pipes, as well as the throttle body pipe. Had similar issues one time, and my throttle pipe wasn't clamped well enough, blew it right off lol.

OK thanks for the reply. I can't visually inspect anything because it's 12:40am right now. But I will check first thing in the morning and call dealer.

FriggenT1

Banned
OK thanks for the reply. I can't visually inspect anything because it's 12:40am right now. But I will check first thing in the morning and call dealer.

Just check first, don't worry about the dealer, it sounds like said above...vac/boost leak.

tsmack

Ready to race!
Check the said pipes and do you have an analog boost gauge hooked up? If so, check the hose at the boost tap and where it connects to your gauge. These little hoses, if not clamped or tightly zip tied, are prone to come off. Amazing how even a tiny hose or leak can result in zero boost and massive loss of power on a turbo car!!

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Check the said pipes and do you have an analog boost gauge hooked up? If so, check the hose at the boost tap and where it connects to your gauge. These little hoses, if not clamped or tightly zip tied, are prone to come off. Amazing how even a tiny hose or leak can result in zero boost and massive loss of power on a turbo car!!

About to check it out now. No boost gauge yet. Next on the list for things to do

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Pancake pipe seemed fine. Ran my fingers around the seals where the clamps are and nothing felt out of place. Not sure where the throttle pipe is. I honestly don't know what I'm looking for. Everything seems OK but I don't have a Jack so I can't get underneath to take the skid plate off. Looks like I'll have to limp home

kbrett11

Ready to race!
OK so after getting the car in Jack stands and getting the skid plate off, everything looks just fine. No clamps are loose, hoses and pipes are solid and held down tight. My car did randomly somehow get a bit of power back today, but was still boggy. It would build boost and speed up quick but not for long. This is so strange and I can't find anything wrong. Taking to dealer tomorrow.

tsmack

Ready to race!
How many miles on the car? Still sounds like a boost leak. They can be hard to find sometimes. Could be a small crack in tubing that opens up if any boost builds, could be a bad gasket in Pancake pipe, could be a damaged DV, bad PCV, damage intercooler, etc...

The throttle body is directly in front between the cooling fans. Check that one too as that can pop off too. Are you hearing anything unusual?

kbrett11

Ready to race!
How many miles on the car? Still sounds like a boost leak. They can be hard to find sometimes. Could be a small crack in tubing that opens up if any boost builds, could be a bad gasket in Pancake pipe, could be a damaged DV, bad PCV, damage intercooler, etc...

The throttle body is directly in front between the cooling fans. Check that one too as that can pop off too. Are you hearing anything unusual?

Car just turned 80k and I just had the 80k service done. I did figure out which was the throttle body pipe. Like I said, visually everything looked fine. No cracks, open seals, or anything unusual looking. I'm not hearing anything unusual other than the limp mode sputtering. The car builds boost and revs to the limiter in neutral but if try to drive-in its a different story. What's also strange is that the new Apr tune got rid of my rev limiter, but now it's back since the limp mode. I'm so lost here

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Do you have program switching? Could you possible be in Valet mode? They limit boost significantly in valet.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Limped it to the dealer last night. Just got off the phone with them and it's the cbfa o2 sensor on the turbo flange that went bad. That's what was causing my sputtering and fuel trims. Odd that it went out tho because I just replaced it over this past winter. Anyone else have to replace theirs?