GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I think the dealer is screwing me. Need Input

SteeleDrewe

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone. I currently drive a 2012 gti and to make a story short last week I hit a curb. Dealer quoted me 2g for new front wheel new wheel berring and 2 new tires. Today he Phones and says oh yeah we found out the front righ
control arm is bent and need to be replaced and requoted me for $3200.

So I'm getting 2 new tires(says $325 a tire. The ones that come with the car he said) 1 new rim, a wheel alignment, new front control arm and front wheel berring. Parts labour $3200 from dealer.

This seems off to me. I didn't hit the curb that bad. I drove away. Anyone have any input?

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
LOL...didn't hit the curb that hard? Sounds like you Fcked things up pretty good. Prices are high, but his diagnosis likely reasonable. Call your insurance co., pay the freight, or do it yourself.

Last edited:

qshashaa

Ready to race!
325 for a tire sounds pretty steep, maybe if you provide the tires the price could be cheaper?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Well I had an incident with a curb as well. And the prices for suspension parts are astronomical on this car. Your quote is not out of the ordinary.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
325 for each tire is VERY steep considering they're for the stock tires, you can get PS2's for cheaper, stock detroits can be had for quarter of that price if bought second hand from the forums, the only thing I can't comment on is the control arm.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
8======> :moon:

thats what happens when you go to a dealership.

accept it or DIY.

Uberryan

Banned
Sounds like bullshit.

SteeleDrewe

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn't not hit the curb hard. That's my story and I'm stickin to it! 20-30km/hr. hit the wheel awkward tho I know that.

Well good they arent screwing me to bad I guess. The rubber is the all season crap that came with the car. I didn't know prices were that steep but I guess I'll pay this time.

But this is the first and last time dealer will ever work on MY car again. I'll do the work myself next time. Being lazy cost to much.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
well unless you're going through insurance, I would recommend picking up a set of used wheels. It will save you a ton of money.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
well unless you're going through insurance, I would recommend picking up a set of used wheels. It will save you a ton of money.

Yes this, and most of the time they'll come with some rubber on them too hold you off till you're ready for a nice set

rblgti

Go Kart Champion
Obviously putting aside the wheels and tires, but have you gotten a comparison quote from another (local) shop at all?

MuteWhoa

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn't not hit the curb hard. That's my story and I'm stickin to it! 20-30km/hr. hit the wheel awkward tho I know that.

Well good they arent screwing me to bad I guess. The rubber is the all season crap that came with the car. I didn't know prices were that steep but I guess I'll pay this time.

But this is the first and last time dealer will ever work on MY car again. I'll do the work myself next time. Being lazy cost to much.

Unless you grazed it at a very slight angle, like parallel, hitting a curb at those speeds at any greater angle will HURT.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I didn't not hit the curb hard. That's my story and I'm stickin to it! 20-30km/hr.

Hitting a curb at 12-18mph isn't hard??? No wonder your front end is wrecked. Pay for the repair and don't drive like an idiot.

SteeleDrewe

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not gong through insurance, I didn't think making a claim for this would be worth the premium rate raise on my insurance.
And I did not get a second quote because I took It to the dealership for Repair and service.

Also to clear things up I hit the curb going down a hill on a turn during a freezing rain /snow storm(residential) driving 20-30km. She went and I couldn't regain control.