GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise during start up

GTA_MK6

Ready to race!
Hey guys,
I have a 2010 Golf that a bought in June. Over the past month I have noticed when I start up the car it makes a loud rattling and grinding noise, then it will sound like it chokes and then engine becomes quiet. This whole process will last about 5 seconds or so and only happens when the car has been parked for a long period of time(over night).
What do you guys think the problem could be?
cheers

Vermilion

Ready to race!
Fuel pump?

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
I think that it's something from the fuel checking itself, I can't remember what it's called. Someone help me out with what it's called lol

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
My Golf makes a lot of noise too for the first few seconds when I start it in the morning. I had assumed that's normal for the 2.5L since everyone seems to complain about what a noisy and unrefined engine it is.

jason113

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it may be your fuel injector. Cuz there maybe some stuffs stop the fuel coming out, just like the engine knocking, not enough fuel, then it makes the sounds like that

P

plac

its none of the above. Its the air injection for average 30 seconds when you start up. For emissions. Been there since 2006.

Hmmm you have a 2.5L, not a 2.0T? I was talking about GTIs, where the noise is very obvious.

sfitalianguy

Passed Driver's Ed
its none of the above. Its the air injection for average 30 seconds when you start up. For emissions. Been there since 2006.

Hmmm you have a 2.5L, not a 2.0T? I was talking about GTIs, where the noise is very obvious.

hey plac, sorry to stray from the thread, but I see you eventually got the APR stage 1? and S3 intercooler? Thought you said you wanted to wait, because you're leasing and the APR work means physically breaking into the ECU enclosure? did you decide to do it anyway? where did you do it? (I live in SF and work in San Rafael). thanks.

P

plac

hey plac, sorry to stray from the thread, but I see you eventually got the APR stage 1? and S3 intercooler? Thought you said you wanted to wait, because you're leasing and the APR work means physically breaking into the ECU enclosure? did you decide to do it anyway? where did you do it? (I live in SF and work in San Rafael). thanks.

ive never leased a car. got it at 034 motorsports fremont.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
My 2.5 makes the same noises. Sounds like crap for the first few seconds, I usually just sit there and let it idle until it stops. Pretty sure its normal.

GTA_MK6

Ready to race!
Thanks! At least I'm not the only one!

mk62011

Ready to race!
It's totally normal when i still had my jetta 2006 it make the same noise (it's a 2.5) I went to delay and they told me about something because it's a 5 cylinder inline. But it only last for few sec to like 20sec to warm up a bit ~ than the noise will be gone .

jaygotzswaqq

Ready to race!
i got a gti 2.0 and it also makes the sameee wierd noise,,,it sounds like air or something like a messed up channel on tve...does anyyyboodyyy really know anyything about thiis??? and can somebody tell me if its a problem or not?