GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Install in progress. Problem encountered.

quality_sound

hmm.......
I think of all the double din's that Kenwood would look the best in our dash. Plus it has pretty good audio specs.

The p99rs needs no module for iPod but does for BT and SAT.

Pretty sure this is the route I'm taking and I'll buy those two modules as well. I already have a really nice single DIN dash kit I bought a while ago (from Germany) The pocket underneath has a nice removable molded rubber liner. All the faceplate lights can change to red and the display stays white. This matches out interiors pretty well.

Oh I know, and BT is an absolute must for me. I could live without SAT but if I don't have video capability I think I'd like to have it for long drives. I just really don't want to try and squeeze the boxes in AND run power to them. It just irks me because IP-Bus CAN supply power.

I'm not worried about the audio as long as it's flat. Whatever it is will only be feeding my PS8 anyway. I DO like that with the P99 I coudl tune from the front seat while driving without a laptop. That's somethign I sorely miss from my D800/H800 combo.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Speaking of deck start-up times, someone mentioned the new Kenwood (I think it was Kenwood - maybe Pioneer) deck designed for VWs the other day so I looked up the specs. The spec sheet said that the deck takes something like 45 seconds to come on after start-up. That is simply a deal breaker. How could anyone stand to jump into his/her car, start the car, hit the power button on the deck and then wait almost a minute to start hearing/seeing anything? It's bonkers to think that a unit would even be created with such a downside.

quality_sound

hmm.......
I looked at it and what I hate is that it's based on an older unit. The newer ones start up significantly faster. Pioneer and Alpine units are still orders of magnitudes faster.

fsr1

Passed Driver's Ed
If I go single din this will be it.

So I've gone and done it!

RNS-315, JL HD750/1, and Audiocontrol LCQ-1 all sold.

Pioneer DEX-P99RS with SAT and Bluetooth modules. A JL HD900/5, and 3" Hertz midranges all purchased.

My Wife is unimpressed!

quality_sound

hmm.......
Nice! I finally replaced the OEM HU with an Alpine IVE-W535 because best buy was clearing them out for $525 so now I have a clean signal going to my PS8. MILES better than the OEM HU.

engineered2win

Ready to race!
I looked at it and what I hate is that it's based on an older unit. The newer ones start up significantly faster. Pioneer and Alpine units are still orders of magnitudes faster.

That's the main reason I went with the Pioneer, however I second guess choosing speed over good navigation. It would be nice to have Garmin routing because even with the Navtec map upgrade, the routing is still complete garbage on the Pioneer navi units. They give you up to 6 different routes, but one is worse than the next and they always leave out the most logical routes and it doesn't do detours either. The Pioneer isn't exactly lightning fast, and if I'm going to wait (instead of using the Iphone google maps) I would rather know it's not going to send me down a one "lane" rutted muddy forest road in BFE Tennessee through a national forest again.

There really aren't any good all around navi head units. If I had to do it again, I would put more importance on good navigation than speed.

quality_sound

hmm.......
I'd not worry about in-dash navi because they ALL suck. Get a portable for $150-$200 and buy the HU you want and call it a day.

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
Speaking of deck start-up times, someone mentioned the new Kenwood (I think it was Kenwood - maybe Pioneer) deck designed for VWs the other day so I looked up the specs. The spec sheet said that the deck takes something like 45 seconds to come on after start-up. That is simply a deal breaker. How could anyone stand to jump into his/her car, start the car, hit the power button on the deck and then wait almost a minute to start hearing/seeing anything? It's bonkers to think that a unit would even be created with such a downside.

I have one. Start up time is 20 seconds to play music on tuner. Maybe 25 for iPod because it needs to initialize the iPod. The reverse camera, however, will work right away. So no need to wait. Also, the unit automatically turns on if you left it on when tuning off the car previously

soular

Ready to race!
I know this is an old thread, but I'm just curious if you had any issues with the LCQ-1 paired with the RNS-315. I've read there are issues with the 510 and was wondering if you had any problems...thanks!

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
What do you mean code for low level? Is that a vagcom tweak?

Yes it is. A stereo's outputs can either be 'high-level' or 'low-level'. High level means that the output is high enough to go straight to the corresponding speakers (it means that the signal is amplified). Low level is a non-amplified signal meant to go to a device that will amplify the signal. If you hook up an amp with wiring that has a high level signal you can damage the amp, unless the amp has secondary, high level inputs (not RCA). If you hook up low level outputs directly to speakers you will get little to no sound.

Low-Level = raw signal before amplification
High-Level = signal after amplification

You must use Vag-Com to change the OEM stereo's output type from high level to low level if you are sending the output to an amp via RCA.

soular

Ready to race!
Interesting, that's good to know. Never thought that would be a possible vagcom tweak. The amp I'm looking at doesn't have speaker level inputs, I suppose I should look for one that does to make the install easier anyways.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Interesting, that's good to know. Never thought that would be a possible vagcom tweak. The amp I'm looking at doesn't have speaker level inputs, I suppose I should look for one that does to make the install easier anyways.

You have two choices when it comes to adding amps to a stereo with only high-level outputs 1)Buy an amp with high-level inputs 2)Buy a LOC (essentially a transformer) which changes the high-level outputs into low-level outputs, which can then go to any amp.

The only advantage of RCA connections is that RCA (aka composite) cables use twisted pair technology (the same thing that's used in telecommunications cabling) to greatly reduce susceptibility to radio-noise interference.

soular

Ready to race!
I was mostly looking for the line driver because the amps I currently have don't have speaker level inputs so this was a way to piece my system together over time and use what I currently have until I can get what I want.