GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rough Cold Start Idle...

#madrussian

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

Saw a few similar posts but no concrete discussion on the topic.

Ive recently noticed a progressively rougher idle on a cold start, which persists until the car has warmed up a bit.

I have new plugs -maybe 6k miles and newish air filter. Car is stock. 53k miles.

Has anyone experienced this? i don't think its misfiring, but maybe getting near it? I had a similar issue on a previous car and had to replace the coils, as well as the plugs.

Any info/discussion would be appreciated.

#madrussian

Plasmamuffins

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like you have carbon build up in the valves. It's a common problem for direct injected vehicles.

Most shops will charge between $400-$1000 to clean since they have to take the intake manifold off, but if you're mechanically inclined, you could do it yourself on your day off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Cold start misfires are one of the symptoms of carbon buildup. Followed by bucking during light throttle applications. Following that you will get a CEL and codes for misfires.

Just as Plasmamuffins said, that would be the first place to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#madrussian

Passed Driver's Ed
I was told that it could be the cam spacer. as the issue completely goes away after the car is warmed up.

Any thoughts on that? Anyone have to replace/deal with theirs?

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
I was told that it could be the cam spacer. as the issue completely goes away after the car is warmed up.

Any thoughts on that? Anyone have to replace/deal with theirs?

First time I am hearing about this. The car doesn't have enough miles to have issues with cams.

As other suggested I would start with replacing coil packs. It's about time for coils to start acting up and failing around 50K. I personally blew 2 coils around 30K and many others on this forum as well. If you decide to replace coils, get one with the red top (R8) as they are better and cost only extra couple $$. Also start shopping around for carbon cleaning. The price ranges significantly from shop to shop, I paid $420 for mine, but some members paid up-to $800. Don't try any fuel additives or seafoam, they are useless and in a case of seafoam if not done right, it can do some damage to your engine.