Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Success!

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
why do you hate christmas?

Heh.... I can't say I hate Christmas... but I wish I could enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed.

Instead, I'm expected to spend money on gifts for people I talk to 1-2x a year, don't like very much, don't really "know" at all, or some combination of all 3.

When I suggested to one side of my family we skip the retarded gift exchange (I still have boxes of "gifts" still in the unopened box or wrapper from 2-3 years ago sitting in a corner in the basement) and instead do something more fun/meaningful... like we each make some kind of dish that's personal to us to share... or, I dunno... anything other than a crap exchange - I was looked at like I had a 3rd head.

Of course that half of the family also looks at me as the "rich" family member... so when they email me "here's what to buy me for Christmas this year" it's sometimes rather laughable (NO I'm not buying you an iPad, the last time I physically spoke to you was LAST Christmas!). And I go home with a bunch of crap they found at the dollar store. "Ohh look a plastic back scratcher. Thanks. I think."

Just kinda kills the spirit for me. Because instead of buying cool, thoughtful, not-worried-about-price gifts for non-blood-relation people who I actually care about, I wind up buying shit for people who, other than being blood-related, are more or less strangers.

Then of course there's the other side of the family, who show up just in time to be "served" dinner and then bail as soon as they've stopped eating (wifey and I show up to my dad's 3 hours early to help cook, then stay 2-3 hours after dinner to visit and clean up) and fill the entire dinner convo complaining about Republicans...

One of the few things I miss about living in Seattle. "Oh no, Jim, you won't be coming home for the holidays this year???"

If it were up to me, Dad, wifey, kiddo get gifts from me... and then close friends and kiddos of close friends.

Bah humbug.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Damn. That would kill it for me too. I haven't exchanged gifts like that with my family in 15 years, it's not something that's expected between my friend group either. Usually we try to get together for a potluck dinner or something instead. I'm not oppose to buying gifts for people, I usually do give something to a few people close to me but it's certainly not expected nor given with the expectation of getting something cool in return.

I just bought myself cool stuff for the car. Nobody is going to top that anyways.

Sucks though, but honestly you're going to have to be the one who changes that habit/mindset if you ever want it to change. Otherwise enjoy giving that ipad to the ungrateful brats.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Damn. That would kill it for me too. I haven't exchanged gifts like that with my family in 15 years, it's not something that's expected between my friend group either. Usually we try to get together for a potluck dinner or something instead. I'm not oppose to buying gifts for people, I usually do give something to a few people close to me but it's certainly not expected nor given with the expectation of getting something cool in return.

I just bought myself cool stuff for the car. Nobody is going to top that anyways.

Sucks though, but honestly you're going to have to be the one who changes that habit/mindset if you ever want it to change. Otherwise enjoy giving that ipad to the ungrateful brats.

Yeah. Probably the best/most memorable Thanksgiving I've had since when I was a kid (and the couple cousins I have stateside weren't total douches) was living in Seattle. Big group of us, all "orphans" (no Seattle family) got together for this HUGE potluck dinner.

It was substantially more fun than I ever expected it to be.

Once my grandmother passes, my dad and I have already agreed that THAT half of the family is cut off. While I love my grandmother dearly, she's the ONLY reason I tolerate my family on that side - she wants all the kids around the dinner table at holidays. My dad, wife, son and I will form our own new traditions going forward. Maybe check out the parades downtown. Do Chinese food. I dunno. But something different. If/when my aunt calls... we'll all just be "busy". She and my uncle can complain about Republicans (and no one to serve them dinner) at the same time, alone.

Few more years, we're out of IL anyways.... so that'll take care of the rest.

Specific to gifts... I've tried, over and over... "Just do gifts for the kids... the adults don't need gifts..." but it falls on deaf ears.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Think I can catch thread title for my bday or nah? Lolol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, one doesn't simply ask for a tread title. You gotta earn that shit son :laugh:

Happy Birthday though, have a drink for me. :drinking:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Word on the street is that im next in line to become mod for chi-chat since cadubya left. Waiting for my invite.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Wow yeah. Gotta earn it. Millennial problems lololol. Definitely had a drink or 4 tonight. Love the Mexican restaurant near me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.