GOLFMKV

Brunkel's Build Thread - '13 United Grey GTI

ahard48

Ready to race!
Also what about the new coils!!!?

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
So.... K04???

Nothing yet...life got nuts! I'm also wanting to drive a k04 GTI before I drop the funds just to be sure it's worth it for me. Hoping to meet up with A guy in Chicago soon!

Is there no way to align the Porsche coolant cap so it sits in the same orientation as the oil cap? I thought I remember seeing the Audi coolant cap sits inline the same way the oil cap does.

Not sure about this. The coolant cap sideways doesn't bother me actually!

Also what about the new coils!!!?

They've been sitting in my living room for the past month! :/ I've been so busy that there's absolutely no time for my car lately. It needs a full detail too.

I've got mirror puddle Leds to put in (old ones burnt out), koni coilovers to go on, and then I'm debating either the k04 or doing more cosmetic mods with wheels, side skirts, and front lip. Life is crazy now though so unfortunately all car projects have been pushed back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Thanks! Yeah you will love the South Bend! Gear lash is a factor but like I said I don't mind it. The revs do go up a bit quicker too but that's a plus! It's not a big change but it's noticeable. Plus, for the same price as the kits the use the the original dmfw you get a brand new fly wheel! I also did some more pulls close to WOT and it holds like a champ on stage 2.

I ended up getting the SB Stage 2 Daily and your review of the clutch is exactly how it is for me too. Gear lash seems to have gotten better (or I've gotten used to it :laugh:) and my shifts are much quicker with the SMFW. Hope it lasts me a long time!

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
I ended up getting the SB Stage 2 Daily and your review of the clutch is exactly how it is for me too. Gear lash seems to have gotten better (or I've gotten used to it :laugh:) and my shifts are much quicker with the SMFW. Hope it lasts me a long time!

I'm actually now thinking about this clutch too. My VW tech recommends this one and has installed a ton of them without issue. Now that I know a couple of you are satisfied with it, I may just go this route.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I'm actually now thinking about this clutch too. My VW tech recommends this one and has installed a ton of them without issue. Now that I know a couple of you are satisfied with it, I may just go this route.

There's times I wish I went with the RSR style of clutch due to the gear lash sounds, but the ease of shifting and lack of rev hang is very nice! Too early to tell longevity of the clutch but so far it's been great.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
There's times I wish I went with the RSR style of clutch due to the gear lash sounds, but the ease of shifting and lack of rev hang is very nice! Too early to tell longevity of the clutch but so far it's been great.

What exactly is a gear lash sound. I just Googled this for videos and I'm not hearing anything crazy?

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
What exactly is a gear lash sound. I just Googled this for videos and I'm not hearing anything crazy?

I would describe it as a grinding sound. Picture metal gears making some noise. It happens on deceleration at higher RPM's and very low RPM acceleration (such as second gear from a rolling stop up to about 2k RPM.)

I would imagine it's hard to capture well on an audio recording. It bothered me at first but it's either gotten better or I've gotten less sensitive.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion

Yeah dude! Glad you're happy with it. I still love mine! And holds power like a CHAMP! Gear lash has gone down as well, especially when the A/C is off.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
So after a lot of thinking, I have calmed down from the excitement of going K04 and am thinking about heading a different direction. I have decided to take it easy on the car mods and finish it up with a few small cosmetic tweaks: side skirts, front lip, and maaaaaayyyyybe wheels if the funds are there. When comparing the cost of K04 and a FMIC to other areas I could spread the funds to it was pretty clear what I needed to do. SO, I will be putting that money I had planned for K04 into more of my musical career goals and savings. Crazy things happen once you turn 30...making adult decisions now apparently :iono:

My Unitronic Stage 2 power still makes me giggle when it really pulls so for now that's good enough for me. I have yet to drive a K04 GTI so I can't speak to the fact if it's worth a $3,000 upgrade or not (I still hope to drive one soon to really see the difference), but for now investing in more music gear is the right call for me!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
UPDATES.

So I had a CEL pop up about a month ago. Scanned with Vagcom and it was a p2400 "leak detection pump failure." I waited about a week and the light went off. Sweet.

A couple weeks later it came back on. Same code, plus about 4 other engine fault codes, so I finally brought it to my shop. They replaced the leak detection pump but that didn't fix it. So they pulled that back out and did some further diagnostics to determine my ECU is starting to fail.

I'm Unitronic Stage 2 and I got my tune done before they had port tuning so I'm sure that had something to do with it. The shop's quote for a new ECU and labor was $1800 so I called Unitronic and spoke with John and he was VERY HELPFUL! He laid out the different options I had and I was very glad to hear there were some options. There's the immobilizer defeat option, but since my ECU is still responding there is another option to repair it using a used ECU.

So, I'm in the market to find another ECU ASAP! Then I will mail both of them to Unitronic and they will repair it AND transfer my tune back on it. Very impressed with their service!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Not too much going on for this summer. Saving for a wedding :)

But, I am planning on changing up my summer wheel setup and maybe some side skirts and a front lip. I'm done with performance upgrades for my car so just a couple cosmetic things here and there most likely.

Ordering these today...

Now it's just finding the right size Pilot Super Sports...

These are the VMR V718's 18x8.5

Debating between 225/40 and 235/40. I never go super low and am on ST Coilovers. I may switch to Konis at some point. Once again, I'm not going super low.

Any thoughts on what tire size is best? I'll need to order ASAP to get the current sale on tirerack!