GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Differences between the tsi and fsi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4L

Banned
Current nomenclature is as I listed with TSI and FSI having no bearing on what physical engine lays under it. One is used by VW one is used by Audi and that is the only difference.

ACTUALLY...

The Audi (sans A3) uses the older FSI motor that has the old direct injection setup and still uses a timing belt.

The VW uses the newer TSI motor tha has the new direct injection setup and uses a timing chain now.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
It is NOT just merely a difference in nomenclature or marketing.

The Audi FSI (EA113) IS in fact different than the VW TSI (EA888)...

FSI has nothing to do with EA113 and TSI has nothing to do with EA888.

Audi has EA888 engines labeled as (T)FSI

VW has EA113 engines labeled as TSI..

This is why FSI and TSI do not actually identify a physical engine.

The 100% exact same engine VW labels a TSI would be a TFSI in an Audi, regardless of their actual generation of engine.

It is like the AWD systems.

An A3 is haldex based and is labeled quattro. A golf R is also haldex based and is labeled 4 motion. It is just marketing names it does not designate any physical difference in the system.

VW has had torsen based AWD systems that were called 4 motion, Audi has AWD systems that are torsen based which are quattro.

C4L

Banned
GUYS...

As for the TFSI and FSI confusion.

Audi uses the FSI to stand for Fuel Stratified Injection. It is used for ANY Audi motor that has direct injection, which is all of them. Audi THEN applies a preceding 'T' to the motors that utilize forced induction in addition to the direct (fuel stratified) injection.

Got it.

The MKV FSI motors were simply labeled 'FSI Turbo' on the engine cover as shown below. To denote both direct (fuel stratified) injection and a Turbo.

The older Audis that also used the EA113 motor were marked the same 'FSI Turbo'.

THEN, the newer Audis maintained the EA113 setup but added Audi Variable Valve Lift (Valvetronic) to them and simply dropped the 'FSI Turbo' nomenclature for 'TFSI'.

VW, moving from the EA113 (FSI Turbo) went to the EA888 which carried with it a TSI nomenclature.

FSI - denotes Audi direct injection
'T' - denotes Audi forced induction (Turbo or supercharged)
TSI - denotes VW direct injecton/forced induction

TFSI (Current Audi nomenclature for EA113) = FSI Turbo (Old VW/Audi nomenclature for EA113)
FSI (Current VW/Audi A3 EA888 nomenclature)

Last edited:

C4L

Banned

The 100% exact same engine VW labels a TSI would be a TFSI in an Audi, regardless of their actual generation of engine.

Thats not true. If so, provide an example of a VW and Audi using the same engine (either EA113 or EA888) that have different nomenclature.

You won't find one...

The ONLY EA888 equipped Audi is the A3 2.0T and that is labeled TSI.

There are no longer any EA113 equipped VW's but when there were (Pre-2008.5) they were labeled FSI Turbo (the engine cover of the MKV GTI).

The Golf R IS an exception to this as it is an EA113 car with TSI nomenclature

Last edited:

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
... you should read the thread :D

.... see above

Someone was sleeping in class before the pop quiz ;)

It is like the AWD systems.

An A3 is haldex based and is labeled quattro. A golf R is also haldex based and is labeled 4 motion. It is just marketing names it does not designate any physical difference in the system.

VW has had torsen based AWD systems that were called 4 motion, Audi has AWD systems that are torsen based which are quattro.

You just brought all of it together for me. Thanks for the clarification and examples. Thanks for confirming your original point too. Now I'll correct my language in the future when talking about these topics :thumbsup:

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Thats not true. If so, provide an example of a VW and Audi using the same engine (either EA113 or EA888) that have different nomenclature.

You won't find one...

The ONLY EA888 equipped Audi is the A3 2.0T and that is labeled TSI.

There are no longer any EA113 equipped VW's but when there were (Pre-2008.5) they were labeled FSI Turbo (the engine cover of the MKV GTI).

really won't find one? one has not yet been posted in this thread by me and quoted on this page?

EA113 engine labeled as TSI still in production today for VW in the Golf R.

And an Audi EA888 engine not labeled TSI

Also the S3 and TT-S are the only Audis vehicles using EA113 based engines, the rest of 2.0 line is using EA888 based variants. (blanking on what they call the valve lift motors)

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
I'm not going to quote you so that when you fix it I can't be blamed for allowing incorrect information to be left on this forum.

But there are serious mistakes in what you just listed and you should fix it.

C4L

Banned
And an Audi EA888 engine not labeled TSI

Also the S3 and TT-S are the only Audis vehicles using EA113 based engines, the rest of 2.0 line is using EA888 based variants. (blanking on what they call the valve lift motors)

The Golf R IS the only exception. I did say that.

And what Audi is pictured there that you think has the EA888 motor?
The ONLY Audi that uses the EA888 is the A3 and it IS labeled TSI.

C4L

Banned
edit.. quotes removed since you deleted your post.

Are you finally seeing what I"m saying?

Yes.

FSI = Fuel Stratified Injection
TFSI = Turbo (or S/C for Audi) Fuel Stratified Injection
TSI = Turbo Stratified Injection

Really the same thing that denotes direct injection and forced induction.

To tell you the truth I have never looked at the designation on the engine covers of the various VW/Audi models. I just know which ones have EA113 motors and which ones have EA888 motors. The Golf R and Audi A3 are the only exceptions to the general rule that is that TFSI = EA113 and FSI = EA888.

However the OP asked for the difference between the MKV FSI and MKVI TSI, of which there are many.

Status
Not open for further replies.