GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti vs R is it worth the upgrade?

jeez

Ready to race!
Don't forget the Exclusivity of the Mark 6 R, I see MK6 and MK7 GTI + an MK7 R more on the streets than an MK6 R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed
At the end of the day an all wheel drive car puts the power to the ground. And you'll want to get to 60 faster then 60 to 100

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rtnlsltn

Passed Driver's Ed
APR Stage 2 your GTI and it will change your life. I went from stock to stage 2, car is a blast now.

I've tossed around going the R route for a while. For me it comes down to loving the DSG and the fact that I only paid $11k for my '10 GTI with 50k on it, and all the stage 2 parts already on it. Dropped $930 on a tune and this car is amazing. I also get fantastic MPG after the tune, between 34-38 when i'm not hammering it.

The MK7 cosmetics also keep me away from going that route.

Last edited:

jeez

Ready to race!
MPG...GTI
0-60...R
Roll race...GTI
AWD...R
Want DSG...GTI
Looks...R?
Cost...GTI
Exclusivity...R
Women...M3/M4

Hope this clears it up for you.

/endthread

MKJBM05

Passed Driver's Ed
MPG...GTI
0-60...R
Roll race...GTI
AWD...R
Want DSG...GTI
Looks...R?
Cost...GTI
Exclusivity...R
Women...M3/M4

Hope this clears it up for you.

/endthread

Lmao perfect ! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRCGolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
There is absolutely no substitute for AWD. Pumping a lot power through two wheels is a waste of money. But then again, I love snow, so I need my rallye car��

Now, buying a MK1 Gti. That's worth it. ��

WRCGolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
In my opinion, the mk6 has a lot more character than the mk7. Looks more like the VW's of the past. No DSG. The car farting through the gears becomes annoying, great transmission though...

t'sGTI

Go Kart Champion
I had a 2011 GTI which got flooded in Hurricane Sandy.
Liked the car a lot but replaced it with a 2013 Golf R.
All things considered the R is a better car in all respects.
Faster, Sounds Better, Looks Better, and the all wheel drive is
great. Both cars were purchased new.

jeez

Ready to race!
Okay so about this one.... my wife loved the plaid seats in my car so much she married me and we had a kid.
Ha ha, they can have that retro effect I guess. But besides the joke, if any woman is choosing you for your car, you got bigger problems than a car choice...

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Ha ha, they can have that retro effect I guess. But besides the joke, if any woman is choosing you for your car, you got bigger problems than a car choice...

Well there was more to it than that (I hope, lol), but she has said that the seats definitely stood out as being cool/interesting. Otherwise I doubt she could really tell the difference between the GTI and the R. She probably would have thought the M3/4 was more impressive at first, but I'm certain she would have hated it after our first road trip.

green hell

Ready to race!
i certainly wouldn't tell you which car to buy or keep, but i will throw in my $0.02 on a couple of issues.

winter - my gti with winter tires is fantastic. i bought a set of 17" wheels and a set of winter tires, and it's worked brilliantly. i had three subarus prior to this, and outside of a couple of incidents involving ice my vw has been fantastic in the winter.

awd - awd is awesome, but there is definitely a learning curve involved, as the car can go from understeer to oversteer in far less time than you take to soil your britches. i say this in reference to rally stages, which are already of questionable traction, but perhaps better "feel" than when it happens on pavement... (what i mean is, when you're driving in anger this can bite yer ass).

i loved my subies, but i don't really miss them for winter driving.

if vw rolled up to my house with an 'r' i would make room for it.