GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI Compared to the 2009

DriV3n

Ready to race!
That Mazda3 probably doesn't rattle like a motherfucker or have as many electrical gremlins that the MkVI most likely will.

Most likely will have

Where does that come from?!
No one has even purchased this vehicle yet and you're already throwing around speculation of electrical problems...WTF!:thumbdown:

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
It's a VW. Best prepare yo self.

I've been fortunate to own all good VW's, but my grandma got a cabrio that was an electrical nightmare. My MKII was pretty bad, but the shop fixed it up good (who wants to go through wires? not me!). I think VAG is over their electrical problems for the most part *knock on wood*.

jamesjjj

Wow some of you guys do get ticked off easy.
I am just writing my honest opinion from a neutral stand point of view. I am only looking to find the best bang for my buck on the next car so obviously I have to consider all the vehicle possible (wrx, ms3, gti, a3, 128, civic si, and even a mustang...) I did mentioned in the post that I find the new gen2 MS3 has excellent handling after test drive. The interior also surprised me with impressive quality. I also mentioned I am trying to checkout the MKVI in the near future as well. I do have a high expectation for the GTI and I can't wait to drive one just like everyone else here.

I am not ashamed of my scion xA at all. In fact, it has been a wonderfully cheap, reliable and nimble car that has well served its purpose. To those angry GTI fan, you need to take it easy sometimes and clearly look at the competition. This does not mean you don't love the car anymore but it just means that you are trying to improve the car you already love so much by observing and improving its short comings when compare to others. No car is perfect.

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
I am just writing my honest opinion from a neutral stand point of view. I am only looking to find the best bang for my buck on the next car so obviously I have to consider all the vehicle possible (wrx, ms3, gti, a3, 128, civic si, and even a mustang...) I did mentioned in the post that I find the new gen2 MS3 has excellent handling after test drive. The interior also surprised me with impressive quality. I also mentioned I am trying to checkout the MKVI in the near future as well. I do have a high expectation for the GTI and I can't wait to drive one just like everyone else here.

I am not ashamed of my scion xA at all. In fact, it has been a wonderfully cheap, reliable and nimble car that has well served its purpose. To those angry GTI fan, you need to take it easy sometimes and clearly look at the competition. This does not mean you don't love the car anymore but it just means that you are trying to improve the car you already love so much by observing and improving its short comings when compare to others. No car is perfect.

No one's angry, this is the internet. The M3 is perfect FYI. Thanks for the essay.

Alex.

Ready to race!

It all comes down to personal preference, and what you value in a car.

jamesjjj

and I need to apologize when I cited angry GTI fan. It was more directed to whafrodamus for bashing pretty much all the other cars (MS3, wrx..etc)
All the other members have been friendly and informative which helps me determinig my next purchase. This forum is awesome!

Giblets

Passed Driver's Ed
and I need to apologize when I cited angry GTI fan. It was more directed to whafrodamus for bashing pretty much all the other cars (MS3, wrx..etc)
All the other members have been friendly and informative which helps me determinig my next purchase. This forum is awesome!

the car's you have driven to date are all good cars, I'm sure. But I'm convinced you'll see the difference when you drive the MKVI Golf GTI. It really is the best all round performance hatch in it's class.

Apparently the new Golf R is even better according to our press over here.....

s2kguy

Ready to race!
Good questions

Hello,

I am in the market for a new car and drove a 2010 GTI this evening... 2-door, 6-speed, 17-inch wheels, Tornado Red. I have some subjective comparisons to the 2009 for which I would appreciate your comment...

#1 - The 2010 seems quieter and more refined than the 2009. Engine noise seems somewhat muted and less visceral.

#2 - Around town at low speed the steering seems lighter, with less feedback from the road.

#3 - What happened to the side molding? The doors scream "ding me!" Anyone have experience with side molding installed by the dealer?

#4 - The touch screen radio is nice and sounds decent with my iPhone 3G S. Anyone get the radio to take calls AND play audio via Bluetooth? Is this possible? Is the Dynaudio option worth the extra $476?

Overall, the 2010 seems less visceral and raw compared to the 2009. The body work is sweet but the car appeals less to my senses than the 09. Does anyone think a clean crop of 09s will come back as trades for 10s?

Comments please.

Regards,

MMD from CT

Sounds like the light steering is the same thing I noticed in every Audi A3 I've driven (and testers have complained about) but it improved at higher speeds.

I drove the 128i recently (it's still on my 'possible' list). The steering was just OK, but not nearly as communicative as older Bimmers like a '96 328 I once had. Nice engine but awkward stying. Reportedly in one magazine comparison it was dissed for bad understeer. Want exceptional steering? Try my S2000 or about any Miata.

MMDCT

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I drove the 2009 again and decided to go with the 2010. What clinched it for me is the new interior and the sound system which has all the latest stuff to work with my iPhone.

For those either driving or shopping for a new GTI... enjoy!