GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

test drivers

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
i test drove the dealers first GTI yesterday,my first time driving any GTI. but is it just me or does it feel when your taking off from a dead stop like its going to stall?

i drove a 4 door DSG..

I didn't notice that on a DSG I drove years ago. Perhaps a little more enthusiastic right foot application on the throttle? :lol: In all seroiusness, I didn't notice that at all on the manual GTI I drove today. It feels as torquey (if not more so) than the MK V and the clutch pedal travel and engagement point seemed a little shorter than previously (which is a good thing). I thought it was ridiculously easy to launch at exactly the rpm I wanted and you're on boost by 1,800 rpm.

suneohair

Question. How do you get the dealer to not go with you? I am 25, but it seems that they insist on breathing down my neck if I plan to test drive any car.

The other day, I wanted to drive a 03 Mini Cooper S just to see what it was like. I have my fiancee with and the rather large salesman still wanted to squeeze into the back of the car.

Any tips?

On topic, maybe the OP needs to get the hang of Launch Control?

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
I didn't notice that on a DSG I drove years ago. Perhaps a little more enthusiastic right foot application on the throttle? :lol: In all seroiusness, I didn't notice that at all on the manual GTI I drove today. It feels as torquey (if not more so) than the MK V and the clutch pedal travel and engagement point seemed a little shorter than previously (which is a good thing). I thought it was ridiculously easy to launch at exactly the rpm I wanted and you're on boost by 1,800 rpm.

i would hope it didnt feel like it was stalling...its a manual...

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!

lol, yea launch control everytime i want to take off from a red light. i was simply driving the car around the block

Aussie3318

Question. How do you get the dealer to not go with you? I am 25, but it seems that they insist on breathing down my neck if I plan to test drive any car.

The other day, I wanted to drive a 03 Mini Cooper S just to see what it was like. I have my fiancee with and the rather large salesman still wanted to squeeze into the back of the car.

Any tips?

Honestly, it really depends on your seller. Usually I have them breathin down my neck, but at the dealership here in Baton Rouge the guy just takes a copy of my driver's license and says "go crazy", haha. It's only write to do what they say... :laugh:

Fredro

Don't want to hijack this thread but, since you've had a chance to drive it I want to ask, how is the braking on this car?
Is there any fade? and how does it handle in the corners?
Is there alot of body roll or does it stay pretty stiff?
Last of all is there good road feel with the steering or pretty numb?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
Don't want to hijack this thread but, since you've had a chance to drive it I want to ask, how is the braking on this car?
Is there any fade? and how does it handle in the corners?
Is there alot of body roll or does it stay pretty stiff?
Last of all is there good road feel with the steering or pretty numb?

Thanks!

The car corners a lot better than the MKV. The braking is still excellent, as is the road feel. The electronic steering did a good job in the MKV, some claim it's a little number than the MKV but I didn't notice. Body roll has also been greatly reduced as far as I can tell.