GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apparently disappearing options for 2014

late apex

I am in the market for an MK6, new or used. Is my understanding correct that VWoA quietly discontinued several desirable features included in the top trim level, across the US-spec GTI and TDI lineups for 2014 MY?

At least that's the conclusion I reach, based on closely studying all 10 available MK6 brochures for 2010-14. For the GTI, the 2011-13 Autobahn trim level is gone for 2014, of course. Compared to it, 2014 Driver's Edition is conspicuously missing:

- Dynaudio
- keyless access with push-button start
- 18" Serrons.

Did the 2014 US GTI brochure (all 3 pages of it, down from 11 the year before) get it wrong or are those deletions what really happened with the DE, options-wise?

For the TDI, the 2012-13 Technology Package disappears for 2014. The top 2014 trim level, Golf 2.0L TDI Clean Diesel with Sunroof and Navigation, is likewise missing:

- Dynaudio
- keyless access with push-button start
- Bi-Xenons with LED DRLs and AFS.

The deletion of that last option for 2014 TDI can't be correct, no? Again, is it merely an abbreviated (also 11 --> 3 pages) brochure issue (one would hope) or the new reality this year?

Thanks.

Last edited:

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I don't know about the TDI, but you are correct are correct about the GTI. For 2014 it is only offered in Wolfsburg Edition or Drivers Edition. As far as the DE goes, I think the Laguna wheels are definitely a step up from the Serrons. The audio can easily be upgraded, and do you really need kessy?

late apex

I don't know about the TDI, but you are correct are correct about the GTI. For 2014 it is only offered in Wolfsburg Edition or Drivers Edition. As far as the DE goes, I think the Laguna wheels are definitely a step up from the Serrons. The audio can easily be upgraded, and do you really need kessy?

Thanks for that info. Good points on the audio and the wheels. However, I do want KESSY, so that's a deal breaker for me on the '14 GTI. At least I won't be searching (in terms of keywords) for something that doesn't exist.

Too bad... there are at least 105 new '14 GTIs on US dealer lots right now, some offered at $5,500+ under MSRP (thanks to VWoA incentives) and that's before any negotiations.

Could anyone confirm or deny those apparently missing options on the '14 TDI? Hard to believe that Bi-Xenons with LED DRLs and AFS are not available at all this year on the TDI.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i'm surprised they'd offer bixenons on a base model car. especially when they didn't offer it on the GTI for so long.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
i'm surprised they'd offer bixenons on a base model car. especially when they didn't offer it on the GTI for so long.

What are you talking about? The TDI? It's not a base model car.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

Xenons have been offered since the launch of the MK5. They used to be standard equipment.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Xenons have been offered since the launch of the MK5. They used to be standard equipment.

on GTI and GLI only. jetta/golf did not get them. what was dumb was bring the mk6 out without them, so if you upgraded from a mk5 to a mk6 it was a downgrade in the lighting department.

maybe "base" wasn't the right word, so i'll say they don't offer it on lower tier models. i have never heard of any tdi/golf/jetta coming with xenons.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
on GTI and GLI only. jetta/golf did not get them. what was dumb was bring the mk6 out without them, so if you upgraded from a mk5 to a mk6 it was a downgrade in the lighting department.

maybe "base" wasn't the right word, so i'll say they don't offer it on lower tier models. i have never heard of any tdi/golf/jetta coming with xenons.

just wait till you get a mk7 autobahn and have to pay extra for xenons (lightning package) as halogens come in standard even on those

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
just wait till you get a mk7 autobahn and have to pay extra for xenons (lightning package) as halogens come in standard even on those

My 2010 Autobahn had optional xenon lights. They were only standard on the autobahn package 11-14.