GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bulb out errors with LED reverse lights

Jimd0313

Ready to race!
Hey all. I've recently received a set of the new style LED reverse lights from deAutoKey to use, and they are causing a bulb out error. I've got ED LED tails, with byte 18 coded to 1F to remove errors.

There are no error with the factory bulbs, but as soon as I change them out and start the car, I get the error for both. They still work fine but are causing the error message.

DeAutoKey customer service has been great, but they seem pretty stumped and seem to think it has something to do with the coding. They are going to send me resistor boxes, but I really was hoping to use these without.

Anyone experience anything similar with LED tail lights? If so, what was your solution? Thanks for the help!

relic1

Passed Driver's Ed
when I first dropped in my LED reverse lights I got a bulb out light.
I checked coding, reset what I could... didn't help. It took letting the car sit overnight (till I had time to look into the problem further) started the car, no light.

I also had reverse bulb out error when I swapped one of my front turn signals back to stock from deAutoKey's LEDs.
That took replacing both front turn signal bulbs back to stock to get the error light to turn off.

With my car, it seems the default for anything strange/changed_since_last_test in the self test startup routine path... it sets the reverse light code.

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
vagcom if you have someone local that can help you.
just have to change a setting.

there is a setting for front and rear bulb saver. just turn it off.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
I could never find a fix for this. Gave up on it a few years ago and just live with the light coming on every now and again.

UMassGTI

Had an error ever since install. Running with the bulb out error for now but it drives me crazy. Purchased deautokey because all my other bulbs from them didn't give an error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Just an update

2018!

We have a brand new brighter model.

For 921 reverse for euro tails:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-gti-golf-euro-taillights-reverse-cree-led-kit-error-free-and-bright

for 7440 stock OEM tails:
http://deautokey.com/product/reverse-lights-mk6-vw-gti-golf-super-bright-pure-white-error-free

100% plug and play / error free / NO outside resistors.

These are the only error free model we have seen on the market that are this bright.

Thank you for the support everyone

ALL LEDs:
http://deautokey.com/category/shop-by-car-model-vw-gti-golf-mk6-2010-2014

Last edited:

UMassGTI

Errors began immediately following installation and start-up. 2011 GTI W/DSG. Depo led tails. Left reverse bulb always throws code, but the right bulb has thrown as well on occasion. No fog, just reverse.

Jimd0313

Ready to race!
If everyone can post the info above neatly we can better help and figure this out:
-When did the errors start
-was the car started or in accessory mode
-year/make/mode
-what type of aftermarket LED tails
-what side is causing the errors - did you switch the LED.
-Does your car have fog/reverse or 2 reverse?

-I just purchased mine within the last month.
-The first time I installed them, I put it into accessory mode to test. After speaking with your customer service, I reinstalled factory bulbs to clear the error and then reinstalled the LED's. Started the car, and the error came back on within 5 seconds or so.
-2011 GTI Autobahn (Xenons)
- ED Tails, VCDS coded for no errors (Byte 18 coded to "1F" in central electonics). No other VCDS changes.
- Both sides are causing the errors. I've turned the bulbs around in the socket, and switched sides. No changes.
-2 Reverse lights on mine, no fog.

I'll try checking the tightness of the prongs, but both sides seem to fit pretty snug.

Just to reiterate what I stated in the DeAutoKey feedback thread, I've been very happy with your customer service and the other LED's I installed from you guys!

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Errors began immediately following installation and start-up. 2011 GTI W/DSG. Depo led tails. Left reverse bulb always throws code, but the right bulb has thrown as well on occasion. No fog, just reverse.

-I just purchased mine within the last month.
-The first time I installed them, I put it into accessory mode to test. After speaking with your customer service, I reinstalled factory bulbs to clear the error and then reinstalled the LED's. Started the car, and the error came back on within 5 seconds or so.
-2011 GTI Autobahn (Xenons)
- ED Tails, VCDS coded for no errors (Byte 18 coded to "1F" in central electonics). No other VCDS changes.
- Both sides are causing the errors. I've turned the bulbs around in the socket, and switched sides. No changes.
-2 Reverse lights on mine, no fog.

I'll try checking the tightness of the prongs, but both sides seem to fit pretty snug.

Just to reiterate what I stated in the DeAutoKey feedback thread, I've been very happy with your customer service and the other LED's I installed from you guys!

Ok, do both of you have VCD coding that is different than standard coding with these?

The only way these will throw a code is if the car is sending out different voltage which can happen with vcd coding, it is rare this to happen.

If you send an email with more info the only options would be:
- send new ones to test
- return for a refund
- install resistor/taps

Support@deAutoLED.com

Thank you

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Just an update

2018!

We have a brand new brighter model.

For 921 reverse for euro tails:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-gti-golf-euro-taillights-reverse-cree-led-kit-error-free-and-bright

for 7440 stock OEM tails:
http://deautokey.com/product/reverse-lights-mk6-vw-gti-golf-super-bright-pure-white-error-free

100% plug and play / error free / NO outside resistors.

These are the only error free model we have seen on the market that are this bright.

Thank you for the support everyone

ALL LEDs:
http://deautokey.com/category/shop-by-car-model-vw-gti-golf-mk6-2010-2014

Last edited:

Jimd0313

Ready to race!
Ok, do both of you have VCD coding that is different than standard coding with these?

The only way these will throw a code is if the car is sending out different voltage which can happen with vcd coding, it is rare this to happen.

I've just got the standard "1F" coding for my tails.

I just emailed the support email with my order number. Hopefully I've just got a bad set. If not, I'll have to install the resistors, but would really prefer not too.

Thanks for your help!

Jimd0313

Ready to race!
Just an update for anyone who experiences a similar problem. They sent me new bulbs of a slightly different style and they work perfectly. DeAutoKey customer service was fantastic throughout the process! Great company to work with!

UMassGTI

Same with me, great customer service experience. Thanks DeAutoKey!

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Just an update for anyone who experiences a similar problem. They sent me new bulbs of a slightly different style and they work perfectly. DeAutoKey customer service was fantastic throughout the process! Great company to work with!

Same with me, great customer service experience. Thanks DeAutoKey!

Thanks for the update, a few we got back and tested seem to have 1 bad resistor the other was fine, so this seems to be an isolated incident.

Another customer who had errors just had a loose connection so please check to make sure the bulb is seated correctly and that the prongs are tight.

Thanks again