GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need tire help!

GtiDom25

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, summer is around the corner and I need new summer tires to go with my new summer wheels. I have a serious grip problem with my custom tune, I spin tires in 3rd gear pulls. I hear when it comes grip the Michelin pss are the best in the business. But they're extremely pricey and I also hear they wear quickly. I need a grippy tire that's not crazy expensive. A friend of mine said Federal Tires are great brand, have great grip and they're cheap. Personally I've never heard of them until he mentioned them. So if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
You can have Grip, Cheap, Or last but not all 3 together.

Cheap With Grip - Conti Extreme Contact DW (~$120) (no tread warranty)
Grip with last - Pilot Super Sports (~$190)(30k tread warranty)
Cheap with Last - Kuhmo/Road Hugger Tires(~$100)

Plus many more just person experience on those.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
You can have Grip, Cheap, Or last but not all 3 together.

Cheap With Grip - Conti Extreme Contact DW (~$120) (no tread warranty)
Grip with last - Pilot Super Sports (~$190)(30k tread warranty)
Cheap with Last - Kuhmo/Road Hugger Tires(~$100)

Plus many more just person experience on those.

i like seeing different versions of the fast car/cheap car/reliable car conundrum

Ill add BF Goodrich sport comp 2 in there as a cheap with grip choice

Mk6_vic

Ready to race!
Federals rs-RR are grippy but won’t last more then 10-15k if you’re using them as a daily. If you’re tracking with them and have a spare set then that’ll work out.

Cheaper then most right now and good quality plus wear/grip are very good - the the Indy 500’s firehawks. I’ve owned 2 sets of these. On 19’s and 18’s. They are fairly new on the market but just read the reviews on tirerack about them. Good price point for ultra summer tires. Depending on the size as well I’m selling a set that I uninstalled. No longer on 19’s.
Always exciting looking for new tires.

GtiDom25

Passed Driver's Ed
I've decided on the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. Been reading lots of great things about them for grip and last a decent while. After all is said and done with mounting balancing and everything else it will cost me like $477. Pretty good deal, I'll have a review on the tire once I start using them for a bit.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The newer version, the Conti ExtemeContact Sport, does have a 30k warranty now
yes but they sell for ~$170ish which puts them only like 10 bucks cheaper than PSS

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Last edited: