GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI or STI

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Think about how the Sti, Evo, Srt-4, Cobalt SS, Mazdaspeed3/6 and other cars only come in a manual transmission. With only having a manual transmission, it weaves out any potential buyers/operators who can't drive stick.

Just food for thought.

I think the EVO X comes with a dual clutch no?

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Our maintenance manager in our complex just picked up an '11 Sti sedan. We did a quick pull from 20-100mph and we were dead even. Not bad results considering that the vf48 turbo on the Sti is quite a bit bigger than a K03, and the Gti is packing .5 liter less engine size.

So GTI+tune+intake = STI

Awesome! can the guy drive?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
So GTI+tune+intake = STI

uh no... he could not. Tune and intake is maybe equivalent to the old WRX power, perhaps slightly more... not a 305hp STI. I'm calling BS/ guy didn't really drive it.

DDGTI

Ready to race!
You obviously know very little about STis :rolleyes:. 2011 STis make closer to 270 hp due to the god aweful tune that they come with from the factory. Why do you think the new WRX clocks better acceleration times with less power?? Why does the 2011 lose .5 second in the quarter mile compared to the older models?? Simple answer: they are overrated from the factory. Not only that, but WRX/STi acceleration numbers are obtained by revving the engine and dropping the clutch to jump out of the hole, so a roll-on isn't exactly their specialty.

Do some research before calling BS on something that you apparently know jack shit about.

uh no... he could not. Tune and intake is maybe equivalent to the old WRX power, perhaps slightly more... not a 305hp STI. I'm calling BS/ guy didn't really drive it.

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
It's probably cuz the Gti is open to a larger crowd where other tuner cars are aimed at a smaller group. No offense to the gti and anyone who drives one, but I think the fact that it can come in an auto allows many more people who are NOT car enthusiasts to own/operate them.

I know the dsg is a great tranny and is faster then many other automatic like transmissions and majority of the manual transmission's/drive combos out there (meaning that some standard cars and their drivers can keep up with or get close to the shifting times the dsg can do).

Think about how the Sti, Evo, Srt-4, Cobalt SS, Mazdaspeed3/6 and other cars only come in a manual transmission. With only having a manual transmission, it weaves out any potential buyers/operators who can't drive stick. I've seen plenty of young females, old people and just people you wouldn't expect to be driving a tuner car, driving new and used Gti's (not that everything can be judged by it's cover and it's not that these types of people can't be car enthusiasts, but in total the people I was just listing are the minority when it comes to the tuner car crowd).

I'm not trying to say automatic cars can't be sports cars, because that would just be ignorant. Generally speaking though, over the history of sports car, manual was the sportier way to drive.

Another thing to add is, look at how many auto corvettes you see as opposed to manual. For a car that was one of the kings and creators of sports cars, it sure does have a lot of people driving them who never or will ever think about taking it passed 100 mph or really stretching all 400+ hp it has...

Just food for thought.

I agree with a lot of this but a distinction should be made between car enthusiast and driving enthusiast. You can be a total car enthusiast and not care to drive a manual etc. But for 'driving enthusiast', if you don't have the skills w/the 3 pedals, for me, I just don't buy it. As to the GTI or STI comparo, the GTI wins for me hands down on having a combination of livability, class, styling and performance.

Last edited:

ph0shizle

Passed Driver's Ed
So GTI+tune+intake = STI

not even close. my sti was pretty much bone stock and i would race a stage 2 gti, and it would be the same results over and over again. Considering most STI's are at least stage 2, most of the time, an STI owner wont even look at GTI's on the road since they know its no competition but they dont hate on the GTi since they know its a different class type of car. GTI is not a fast car, but its a nice car. i gave up performance/speed for comfort. if youre looking for speed, theres so many cars out there thats faster. But the GTI has nice interior for the price.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
You obviously know very little about STis :rolleyes:. 2011 STis make closer to 270 hp due to the god aweful tune that they come with from the factory. Why do you think the new WRX clocks better acceleration times with less power?? Why does the 2011 lose .5 second in the quarter mile compared to the older models?? Simple answer: they are overrated from the factory. Not only that, but WRX/STi acceleration numbers are obtained by revving the engine and dropping the clutch to jump out of the hole, so a roll-on isn't exactly their specialty.

Do some research before calling BS on something that you apparently know jack shit about.

if you're talking to me , you're a retard. I was saying the STI driver wasn't driving well/good, and was siding with the STI being faster, not the GTI.

And as for as me "knowing jackshit about subarus"? you're right, I haven't owned 2 STI's and a WRX:rolleyes:... and for the "crap" tune, like someone else already said, most STI's are at least stage 1, if not 2, and they are not 270bhp stock, that's ridiculous... as for the 0-60 time difference with the rex, anyone who knows anything about Subarus has the simple , simple answer to this - the 5spd gearing is better for the 0-60 in the wrx than the 6spd in the STI. So WTF are you talking about!??!

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
I ran a 2011 STI 1 month ago from a pull started at around 20 mph. The guy was probably stock. Without a doubt, those car are fast at low speed. It was a dead event until I started to pull him (1 car) at 110 mph to 115 mph.

So, a stage2 well supported can beat a stock 11 STI but its VERY close.

I think both cars, gti or sti/wrx, are pretty much solid and u cant be wrong if u are a car enthusiast.

DDGTI

Ready to race!
First let me start out by saying that you're an immature ass for name calling. Grow up little boy.

Second, I've had 3 STi's ('04, '06, '07) so you're not above me on any level there. My '07 was running an APS 70mm intake, ATP3071 turbo, TGV deletes, APS inlet, Maddad equal length headers, 850cc injectors, Aquamist HFS-6, etc. Additionally I, fine tuned my car using Cobb software once my tuner built my base maps, so I'm confident that I know a helluva lot more than you :word:.

The only thing you're right about is 5 speed vs 6 speed gearing, but that still doesn't answer the million dollar question does it smart guy? Why is the NEW STi slower than all of the previous years by over 1/2 second?? Answer, is the TUNE!! The Sti does not make 305 crank HP any more....PERIOD. Now, if it were to be flashed to Cobb stage 1, then yes it will make more than 305 crank HP. Here's an example of a STOCK vs Stage 1 STi dyno:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2192199

Now try and tell me that the '11 is making 305 crank HP ;).

The STi that I ran is bone stock, and the guy can shift, so go pound sand on that one.

if you're talking to me , you're a retard. I was saying the STI driver wasn't driving well/good, and was siding with the STI being faster, not the GTI.

And as for as me "knowing jackshit about subarus"? you're right, I haven't owned 2 STI's and a WRX:rolleyes:... and for the "crap" tune, like someone else already said, most STI's are at least stage 1, if not 2, and they are not 270bhp stock, that's ridiculous... as for the 0-60 time difference with the rex, anyone who knows anything about Subarus has the simple , simple answer to this - the 5spd gearing is better for the 0-60 in the wrx than the 6spd in the STI. So WTF are you talking about!??!

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
First let me start out by saying that you're an immature ass for name calling. Grow up little boy.

Second, I've had 3 STi's ('04, '06, '07) so you're not above me on any level there. My '07 was running an APS 70mm intake, ATP3071 turbo, TGV deletes, APS inlet, Maddad equal length headers, 850cc injectors, Aquamist HFS-6, etc. Additionally I, fine tuned my car using Cobb software once my tuner built my base maps, so I'm confident that I know a helluva lot more than you :word:.

The only thing you're right about is 5 speed vs 6 speed gearing, but that still doesn't answer the million dollar question does it smart guy? Why is the NEW STi slower than all of the previous years by over 1/2 second?? Answer, is the TUNE!! The Sti does not make 305 crank HP any more....PERIOD. Now, if it were to be flashed to Cobb stage 1, then yes it will make more than 305 crank HP. Here's an example of a STOCK vs Stage 1 STi dyno:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2192199

Now try and tell me that the '11 is making 305 crank HP ;).

The STi that I ran is bone stock, and the guy can shift, so go pound sand on that one.

35hp down on what is advertised, ok... where is the class action law suit then, seriously? that should be done.... I still have a hard time believing the experience, but hey, I wasn't there and maybe you're also a better driver? I haven't surfed around as much on IWSTI in a while, but yes, you've done a lot with Subies, I have too - and you made no mention of the gearing before, but whatevs man, whatevs - peace on earth, bro!!

But wait, you just called me a little boy! that's name calling! :laugh:WAAAAWAAAWAAA... anyway, I'm done man, thats cool that you beat an STI, so cool...

DDGTI

Ready to race!
Another dynamic that impacts the results is the 91 octane CA gas. Every Sti that I've had or tuned knocked like crazy on this fuel out here. If we were on the east coast the results likely would have been a bit different because Subies definitely knock less on good 93 octane fuel.

35hp down on what is advertised, ok... where is the class action law suit then, seriously? that should be done.... I still have a hard time believing the experience, but hey, I wasn't there and maybe you're also a better driver? I haven't surfed around as much on IWSTI in a while, but yes, you've done a lot with Subies, I have too - and you made no mention of the gearing before, but whatevs man, whatevs - peace on earth, bro!!

But wait, you just called me a little boy! that's name calling! :laugh:WAAAAWAAAWAAA... anyway, I'm done man, thats cool that you beat an STI, so cool...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
ah, we don't have that issue out here, everyone is running 93.

VINNY1

Ready to race!
I'm 6 months into my DSG GTI, and I have no buyers remorse. I test drove a WRX an STI(1YO), an MS3, and a Lancer S. None can compare to the quality, and feel of the GTI. Test drive one, and see for yourself.