GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Driver Looking for Some Advice R20

kyle1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sure this kid is gone...probably cruising around in his new 135i right now with no conception of what true responsibility really is.

A 135i as a first car? C'mon! This kid had to have at least some sense that he would get hammered in ANY auto forum posting something like that.

jshurak

The R20 might not even be worth it. I would probably be better off putting an APR Stage 3 kit in with an exhaust, intake, and intercooler. It would turn out to be the same price as the R20 and the Stage 3 kit would make it faster. Maybe add some Brembos for fair measure. If I do that, I really hope I won't crash it.

This sounds like the best car a newly turned 16 first time driver should have.

To a 'New driver looking for some Advice' (or perhaps the advice should go to your parents...):

Don't get a sports car. You're going to beat the sh*t out of it and maybe kill yourself and some other people in the process.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Had a friend that had a:

Mach 1 - Totalled
RSX Type S - Totalled
Mustang GT SC - Totalled and Died

He was 17. That was 6 years ago.

Prove my point?

jshurak

I'm almost 25 and my brother is 22 and I hope we keep it that way, I do agree that most kids are reckless I just feel its unfair to flame this kid without knowing him

I think the flames are coming from the fact that WE ALL WERE THAT AGE AND KNOW HOW KIDS THAT AGE THINK.

We don't know hothatch94....but we do know that he wants a performance machine as his first car as soon as he gets his license. I probably wouldn't be alive today if my first car was not a '96 cavalier.

Reminds me of when I sat down in my first motorcycle safety class. The teacher asked everyone if they already had their license and a bike. The guy next to me replied 'no and yes, a hayabusa'....

Kid, you (hopefully) have your whole life ahead of you to drive awesome cars. I honestly can't see any post on this thread changing the fact that you will get one of those performance cars as your first car. Just be sensible with it. Just because your car can go fast doesn't me you have to. Besides, the girls can't see you if you fly by. :)

koen

Passed Driver's Ed
I dont know why everyone assumes a young dirver is gonna crash his car if its new, I had a grand cherokee overland loaded with no accidents my brother got an sti, no tickets or accidents and he has had it for 6 years now

agreed, i got my license at 18 (2 years ago) and my first car was a fairlady, then changed to a GTR R35 in 2 months then some other cars such as cayman s / 575m till now with a TT and Scirocco R coming soon, nothing happened (touch wood)

i must say it all depends on the person, but judging from the OP's responses and attitude about modding and going fast fast fast, i think its dangerous

From my experience, if i were to choose again, i would pick a moderate car with okay power, a cooper s and a gti would be a good choice (obviously no stage 3...) to drive around until you get the hang of driving first, i feel like i've wasted the fairlady and the GTR cus i was still new to the road i cant even drive them properly yet, straight line is quick but i cant drive smoothly in turns. I can confidently say that today, with a cooper s, i could easily go faster than myself being in the GTR 2 years ago on any twisties. By the way, cooper s is way better to drive than a GTR :happyanim:

so yea, buy a cooper s or a gti and have fun with it first, do some track days / driving events to get the feeling of speed and control , and move up slowly in terms of HP, try some other cars too, N/A, Turbo, Supercharged and 4WD, FWD and RWD you will find yourself being a much better driver at the end

csmkv

Speeder
I'm jealous! If I got a GTI as my first car, I think I would have a lot more speeding tickets.... Tell your parents to get you a "fast" sedan, hell get that new Porsche sedan! or a 740il ;)

My first--3 days after getting then car.

Me even worse, the second day on the highway i got a ticket ;p, only because that part of the road suddenly became 65mph while i was driving 80 like i had been doing on 70mph part, lol. That cop was like, what the hell, u r not 18 yet i can't write you a ticket and send you to the court, i gotta call ur parents, but wait, you told me ur parents are in China right? What am i gonna do, what am I gonna do!?

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
i got my license at 18 (2 years ago) and my first car was a fairlady, then changed to a GTR R35 in 2 months then some other cars such as cayman s / 575m till now with a TT and Scirocco R coming soon, nothing happened (touch wood)

what?! you and OP must be loaded! haha paypal me like $300 so i can MAYBE get my APR Intake and still make this months car payment...

my parents have money, but damn, i worked my ass off every summer from age 15 to 17 in a hot warehouse receiving, counting, and packaging car parts to save up $6k so i could buy my first car (Jeep Wrangler) at age 17. i'm 20 now and i worked for the last 8 months in 2 jobs to get enough money to put a down payment on my GTI and i'm still paying $400 a month of my own money WHILE going to school. (luckily my parents still help me with insurance)

how the hell are there kids out there getting hooked up DREAM CARS of mine for their first rides?! it must be nice....

N8ive Creech

Passed Driver's Ed
OP dont listen to any of these guys. Nobody knows your situtation and nobody knows your background. I began racing at the age of twelve in cart racing and at seventeen won my first points cup championship in modifieds racing against much older individuals. Much Much older individuals. So if your parents wanna buy you a f#$%ing lamborghini. Take it!! People wanna hate on your comment about arrogance. But again it is them making crazy assumptions that you probably have never been behind a wheel already. So to all those amazing twenty or thirty year olds that think their ten years of driving on the streets is so amazing. Go to your local track and ask to watch the junior cup racers. None should be older than the OP at 17. And I promise you those kids would rape you at driving. Good look at whatever car you get OP.

shahabdin

Ready to race!
OP dont listen to any of these guys. Nobody knows your situtation and nobody knows your background. I began racing at the age of twelve in cart racing and at seventeen won my first points cup championship in modifieds racing against much older individuals. Much Much older individuals. So if your parents wanna buy you a f#$%ing lamborghini. Take it!! People wanna hate on your comment about arrogance. But again it is them making crazy assumptions that you probably have never been behind a wheel already. So to all those amazing twenty or thirty year olds that think their ten years of driving on the streets is so amazing. Go to your local track and ask to watch the junior cup racers. None should be older than the OP at 17. And I promise you those kids would rape you at driving. Good look at whatever car you get OP.

^N8ive Creech
Another person who doesn't get the logic. HELLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Track VERSUS real life streets with people walking, kids running out on to road, cars swerving in your way, need we say any more!!!!!!!!
:rolleyes: And ur tryin to OK it with young guys able to beat us??? Yeah, that is possible but on the streets is another world my friend. I think I speak for all us twenty/thirty sometin 'ear ols.

N8ive Creech

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you kidding me? I would say must people and correct me if im wrong utilize tracks to hone their skills of driving and to get a feel for their car. To learn how to adapt and to control the vehicle in different situations. So NO. The streets are not a whole nother world. I would say that someones ability on the street would only progressively get better because of track time. So you are the individual who still does not get the logic.

I am not promoting Younger People beating older individuals. I was just trying to explain that before a bunch of middle age people whole think they have experienced so much in life driving on the streets should take the time and see what the OP's background is. Hell if you look at many of the best drivers right now most of them hit the scene and began being successful at the age of 22. But this has to do with their background. Something no one took the time to ask the OP. Im 24. Not a ticket on my record and i have owned many vehicles with upwards to 450 horses in my LS1 firebird. But because of my background i can handle it. Ask questions before you jump to conclusions.

shahabdin

Ready to race!
The R20 might not even be worth it. I would probably be better off putting an APR Stage 3 kit in with an exhaust, intake, and intercooler. It would turn out to be the same price as the R20 and the Stage 3 kit would make it faster. Maybe add some Brembos for fair measure. If I do that, I really hope I won't crash it.

Where I live everyone gets a new car that goes super fast. No joke. I'd like to get the experience with mods because I plan to be a mechanical engineer when I grow up. I love cars.
Update on the car situation: My mom and dad would be willing to buy me a 135i coupe (the one with the turbocharged 300 hp 6 cylinder). They think a Beamer would last longer, so she would be willing to pay the extra. I'm sure you guys are thrilled to hear that.

I'd rather wreck a GTI than my mom's Range Rover or my dad's Beamer =0

Are you kidding me? I would say must people and correct me if im wrong utilize tracks to hone their skills of driving and to get a feel for their car. To learn how to adapt and to control the vehicle in different situations. So NO. The streets are not a whole nother world. I would say that someones ability on the street would only progressively get better because of track time. So you are the individual who still does not get the logic.

I am not promoting Younger People beating older individuals. I was just trying to explain that before a bunch of middle age people whole think they have experienced so much in life driving on the streets should take the time and see what the OP's background is. Hell if you look at many of the best drivers right now most of them hit the scene and began being successful at the age of 22. But this has to do with their background. Something no one took the time to ask the OP. Im 24. Not a ticket on my record and i have owned many vehicles with upwards to 450 horses in my LS1 firebird. But because of my background i can handle it. Ask questions before you jump to conclusions.

Hey Dude, I get ur point and stuff about givin the guy a break. And fact is that ur oughtta read his posts well b4..... C da above man!!!! READ CAREFULLY HIS COMMENTS. He literally had it comin. Besides the guy should be thankful and grateful that so many guys care about him enough to waste our time on guys who just brag on about racing....

END OF DISCUSSION.
:readthethread::dnftt:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Had a friend that had a:

Mach 1 - Totalled
RSX Type S - Totalled
Mustang GT SC - Totalled and Died

He was 17. That was 6 years ago.

Prove my point?

I'll post this again. To iterate my point and put an end to this discussion.

OH, forgot to put he tracked as well. You argument is null. Dont speak ill of the dead.