GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Golf R Vs. Seat Leon FR stage 1

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
I switched cars today with my best friend's Seat Leon FR Stage 1 (advertised 260bhp) for an uphill one way drive (quite a few Kms). So I'm NOT driving my car, he is (he's the only guy I trust to that point:)) and I'm writing this from the EA888 stage 1 viewpoint. (for those not familiar with Seat, this car is basically a DSG equipped GTI MK6 with different body panels and different interior with slightly better front brake discs)

Now before you start questionning, I have owned a manual 1995 Audi S2 with an ABT custom chip delivering consistent 280bhp, a 2006 Mini Cooper S JCW (208bhp) both of which are much less easy to drive than the refined platform of the GTI/Leon FR, and I have driven many times all sorts of GTIs MKV and my firend's leon in question, so I am pretty familiar with the car.

We started on a long straight uphill rolling from a high 1st; the result was very similar to when I raced Djunited's Stage 1 the R pulling away, with the exception that I did not catch up with my R quite similarly because the straight line was not that long. First corner and I am watching my R some 4 cars length ahead tucking in with dramatic speed :yikes: as for me I soon got back to that familiar understeer feeling (back from my old JCW) and that has been the closest I got to the R till the end... with the road getting twistier, my car increased more and more the gap on each turn coming much faster in and out of the corners, while I was struggling with understeer on the limits of the Leon's chassis and FWD drivetrain. By mid road he had a 7-8 car length advantage by the end it was more like 10+ cars. The Seat was great on the straights in 3rd/4th/5th gear with huuuge power but it was as if it had too much of it for 2 wheels to cope with for fast corners.
Well technically I lost the race, but watching my car flying away was a blast ;)