GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Experience with Seattle/Eastside dealers and tunes

Sanderskog

Ready to race!
Recently picked up a R and am contemplating an APR Stage 1 tune. Was curious how local dealers handle tuned cars. I know the risks but also know some dealers are more accepting than others.

Thanks,
Todd

yunone

Ready to race!
I am currently going to achtuning when I get my APR upgrades. I have been to Fine Tuning in the last and have had good experiences...

Edit.... Dealers not tuners... Got it

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I also got my tune done at Achtuning - great folks with plenty of experience. As far as dealers, I've only been to University VW/Audi. They are very mod friendly. The service techs come out and talk to me about my car with one guy telling me about his K04 MKV. I highly recommend both places for servicing.

Dark Anghell1

Ready to race!
Achtuning is a great shop, I plan to use them in the future.

Anyone have experience with Chaplins?

Todd

I don't like Chaplins one bit. Parts guys are snobby, service is alright but more expensive than any other dealer and I hear they are not mod friendly at all. Best dealers I know off are University, Pigintaro (spelling???), and Auburn.

nic111

Passed Driver's Ed
Another vote for University and Auburn VW. Great experience with both of my modded Gtis (mkv and mk6)

ian dummy

Ready to race!
as a now stage 2 APR golf R owner, get the tune from Achtuning. University VW is tune friendly.

seriously, get your R flashed to stage 1. it is how the car should have been from the factory. if you're looking for ideas, check out my build thread.

GTImadman

Achtuning guys told me that University VW is very tune friendly. They also told me that Chaplins likes to blame the tune for anything that goes wrong and has denied warranty in the past. Based on that alone, I'd stick with University.

In my experience, the Chaplin service guys suck as well, so more reason for me to head over to University VW. They let a mechanic with a screwdriver in his pocket climb into the drivers seat of my car - scuffed up the leather and ruined the seat. They finally agreed to replace the seat cover when the repair job started flaking off plastic after one month. If you can, stay away from Chaplins.

As a side note: make sure you buy the stock tune in addition to the Stage 1 tune so that you can put your car back into the stock profile if you need to take it to less tune-friendly dealers.

sprytdi

Ready to race!
Chaplins can SUCK A DIRTY PUSS SORE SCORED DICK!

I feel like i can say that cuz

I bought my tdi there. The first time/tdi I tried to buy we sat down, did the back and forth thing, finally came to an agreement, then went into finance, almost six hours go by and the place was about to close, the car i was buying was on another lot. The thing of it was there was no car? So they kept our money and i special ordered one, it took several months to arrive. Then for the free oil change, i have to drop my car off for an entire day? If i want the loaner you are supposed to get you have to schedule that a month in advance! The second "free" oil change they damaged the seal on the oil filter, i didnt realize this til i got home, 32 mi later, the oil level was so low it didnt register on the dipstick. Then to top it off the fuckers lied to me, dead in eyes the strait to my face and tell me the turbo is not oil cooled and there is nothing to worry about, bla bla bla..... never go to chaplins

brett_duenas

Ready to race!
Old thread, somewhat... just putting my $.02

One of the sales persons at Larson VW (where I bought my R) told me that their service dept is mod friendly. The guys at Achtuning confirmed this before I got my APR Stage 1. :thumbsup:

Larson Volkswagen
7633 South Tacoma Way
Tacoma, WA 9840​

Sanderskog

Ready to race!
Old thread, somewhat... just putting my $.02

One of the sales persons at Larson VW (where I bought my R) told me that their service dept is mod friendly. The guys at Achtuning confirmed this before I got my APR Stage 1. :thumbsup:

Larson Volkswagen
7633 South Tacoma Way
Tacoma, WA 9840​

That's where I picked up my R however they're and hour away.

sprytdi

Ready to race!
Yea, I live 5 mile from Chaplin's and just booked my first service at UW VW.

Ill do you a service, and do your service and show you how. You only need about $30 in tools to do the job, and an oil change kit about 60+. I dont trust the stealership, man. Do your own.....

Sanderskog

Ready to race!
Thanks for the offer, I'm actually quite competent with cars though (restored a 1953 M38A1 Military Jeep, built a 1968 BMW 2002 track car, and modded many cars). The "service" was the 90 day checkin with VW on the car.

Appreciate the offer though!

Todd